Author Topic: OMG I killed thumper  (Read 2368 times)

onb

• Between jobs at present
OMG I killed thumper
« on: 17 April, 2008, 04:51:32 pm »
Last night I left the car at work and cycled the 25 miles home.The a65 is not safe in a car so I just wont ride it en velo.Back roads were nice and quiet but something was wrong I was going very well.The Captain (paranoia)reminded me that the breeze was helping me and it was nowt to do with my cycling abilities.I continued along at a pace having got to Settle I again took back roads in 12 miles I came across 4 vehicles ,a tractor and 2 horses bliss.There seemed to be loads of bunnies playing "chicken"in the road but most of then scampered off in good time .Theres a long stretch of fast  moorland road I was trundling down when I suddenly see a brown and white blur on my lhs .Unbelievably I ran straight over it and instictivly I braked which may have been the wrong thing to do as the bike was lurching all over the place .
 Theres an old caving adage that adrenaline is brown ,well its now a proven cycling adage as well .I didnt go back to check on thumper as I cant sue him and kicking the shit out of him would only have muckied my shoes.The rest off the ride was uneventfull save stopping at the Keasden crossroads the view was fantastic Ingleborough to one side Bowland Knotts to the other on a sunny spring evening.25 miles in 1 hr 40 mins not remarkable by some standards but great for me.I slept in this morning and so cheated the captain out of his gleefull I told you so by getting the train part of the way ,but he was right about the headwind and a bloomin cold easterly it was too >:( :(

spen666

Re: OMG I killed thumper
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2008, 04:54:03 pm »
Rabbitt Stew for tea tonight then?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:29:34 am »
I've only ever run over a pigeon.  An honest country pigeon, not one of the congenitally deformed rats-on-wings that infest Swindon bus station.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:38:01 am »
As an act of mercy I ran over a twitching squirrel on the A48 that had just been hit by a car. It lurched to the middle of the road just before I was due to turn right off the road. Ran over its neck. No mess on the tyres.

Just looking for a suitable transfer for the fork tube!
Faith, hope and gluttony.........

cornelius

• Three wheels on my wagon...
« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2008, 08:39:09 am »
This Tufty lookalike was similarly out of luck http://www.cyclelicio.us/2005/07/squirrel-in-bike-wheel.html
Like Jehu, Son of Nimshi, who drove like a maniac...

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »
i afraid my tuffty was was use to dodgeing four wheels , so when i was coasting down my local 1/7 hill on the trice recumbent trike it crossed just in front of me and saw the right hand comming and reversed course a bit and stopped to let the rear wheels pass , ::-) ........... there was a bump and i suspect a squirral with a first class headacke  :demon: ;D.  i did go back up the hill  O:-), but tuffty was gone  :thumbsup:.
the slower you go the more you see