Author Topic: ACF Malta Tour 2008  (Read 2897 times)

ACF Malta Tour 2008
« on: 24 April, 2008, 11:10:02 pm »
ACF Malta 2008.

Finally I have a little time to post a few words and a lot of photos about the Malta trip.

When I first read Regulator's suggestion for a spring week in Malta I was intrigued, but as I had not brought a bike on a trip abroad before I was a little uncertain about the practicalities.

Putting these doubts aside I signed up, as did Valiant and Tourist Tony. Money changed hands, and all was set. The plan was to go for a week, rent an apartment to the north of the island, and explore by bike or otherwise as the mood dictated. I wasn't keen to bring my Van Nicholas so my Marin was fettled, panniers were purchased, extra bottle cage fitted, and I was all set.

Sunday morning saw us gather, with just a little less time before boarding than intended, at Heathrow's Terminal 4. Bikes were hurriedly thrust into bags. The bikes ended up tucked around a corner a little out of the line of sight of the staff for my liking, and off we set to get on the plane with fingers crossed that the bikes would follow us onto the plane. A tolerable 3 hour flight followed, courtesy of Air Malta, and we landed in Malta's airport and waited for our bikes to appear. And waited. And waited. No bikes. They hadn't got on the plane. Much swearing followed, while the helpful airport staff sent the necessary communications to Heathrow.

Off we went to the flat, located in Bugibba and normally used by divers staying on the island to dive the thousands of wrecks located off the coast.
The trip to Bugibba revealed a sun-parched land still retaining some of the greenery of Spring. Apparently from about May onwards the green disappears and the temperature climbs. Bugibba overlooks St Paul's islands, where St Paul was supposedly shipwrecked in AD60.

The landscape has an ancient timeless feel to it, and the island is scattered with remains that reflect the 7000-odd years that humans have lived there.

I was constantly struck by the warm Mediterranean colours. Absolutely crystal clear sea like this for a start:

I do like a nice doorway.

Part of the harbour in Bugibba:

Cacti everywhere:

To borrow TT's phrase: we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto:

A wealth of colour everywhere. I took this shot as I thought this was the national flower of Malta; it's not as it happens, but I like it anyway:

After a brief exploration, we crashed out and crossed our fingers for our bikes. The next day, word arrived that our bikes had made it on to the next plane and were en route, so Regulator and I went to await their arrival. Along they came in a van, loaded in a manner that revealed much about non-cyclists' lack of understanding of the construction of the bicycle, a telling moment that was to revisit us. After some quick fettling revealed that they were unscathed, we were mobile at last. Our brief explorations had made it clear that the local driving style and the many clapped out cars would warrant some care on the roads.

One of our first trips, southwest along the coast in the direction of St Julian, involved a little detour along an unprepossessing side road, the first of several vain attempts to escape the inescapable reality: Malta is not flat. This brought us by accident to the Commonwealth war graves, a sombre yet beautiful little corner carefully tended and protected from the blistering sun. The visitors book was signed "ACF Malta Tour 2008".

Valiant:

Valetta is a fantastic place of sun-drenched and shadow-filled narrow streets. Much of the old town was damaged in the last war and rebuilt using the old stone. It's hard to tell. The limestone used in Malta seems to weather so quickly that appearrances can be deceptive. It literally crumbles away before your eyes.

The contrast of old and new:

In and around Parliament Square:

The only island to be awarded the George Cross:

Another doorway:

As we pootled about one of the places we passed through quite a few times was Mosta.

Regulator very generously treated us to a truly fantastic meal in the Ta' Marija here. By the time we had finished the starters and the wonderful seafood platters, most of us were fit to burst, but we manfully struggled on and attempted to finish the main course before wobbling home via one of the best downhills on the trip.

The interior of the famous Mosta dome, looking straight up:

The dome had a fairy visit during the war from one of these, which fortunately failed to go off:

A few photos from a ride to Mdina and Rabat:

Doesn't look much but the climb up to here was hard work:

Valiant gets there:

The Maltese don't like to get too far away from their cars:

I've never been able to precisely pin down TT's expression here as Regulator attempts to convince him that he was only imagining those hills en route:

Gecko on the wall:

The were lots of more colourful geckos but I could never get a shot of them.

Lots of evidence of the British military presence on the island; a complex of old Nissen huts made me imagine how it would have been 60 odd years ago:

Tranquil post ride evenings back in Bugibba...

Lots of sleepy cats in the sun:

Not so much sun on the day we took the boat to Gozo:

Lots of ancient buses on the roads, all well looked after. Bit of an art deco feel to this one:

This back seat has seen a snog or two:

Golden Bay, over on the other side of the island:

TT, Valiant, and Regulator debate whether to join me on the other side of the bay. Answer: no.

Later, TT climbed back up all those steps to find he'd forgotten his waterbottle so back down, and up, he went.

We were all aware that we were missing SimonL3's FNRttC, so there was only one thing for it and that was to charge those Dinottes and brave the Maltese Friday night drivers. The very same moon that lit the way to Southend did the same for us:

With some assistance from Dinotte:

With SimonL3 in mind, I took a shot of this, built in the modern Maltese building material of choice, concrete:

After walking past it at least once a day for a week, I still couldn't figure out why it was there.

There's obviously been a horse-ablution related problem here, but I never found out what it was:

Now the Maltese roads are strewn with vehicles fit only for the crusher, but there a quite a few gems around. This P6 was mint. Appropriate registration too:

Lots of jeeps of various flavours, and a few Mokes, but not many as good as this one:

On the last day Regulator and I took off early on what turned out to be a difficult but fantastic ride to the other coast and back, climbing and descending Mellieha ridge on the way back. Great fun.

In the distance you may spy someone on a 24" gear, but hard to be sure.

I have to extend my thanks to Greg for setting up this trip. Every detail was attended to. It was a real bonus and a privilege to have someone guiding us who knew the island and its history so well. It helped us all get a lot of the trip, and I for one doubt if I'd have enjoyed it nearly as much without it..

The ever cheerful and erudite Greg powers along  ;D :

I think this ought to be the start of an annual ACF/yACF spring jaunt; it has been a great start to the summer to have a week in the warmth of the Med. It was quite a shock to return to pitch black, cold, wet London on Sunday evening!

Re: ACF Malta Tour 2008
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:18:11 pm »
Fairly vicious forum photo compression I see (or so it seems to me). If the photo bandwidth bothers people, if anyone can post a simple ploy to enable me to use clickable thumbnails for Photobucket, pm me and I'll gladly fix it when I have time. 

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2008, 11:22:17 pm »
Nice write up Simon
And yes, Euston Road in pouring rain was a real welcome back...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2008, 12:21:05 am »
Great write up!

I would like to add that after this thread about not being able to remove and fit my brakes, I did manage to find what was possibly the best customer service from any LBS in the history of the universe.

So once we got our bikes delivered to Maltaqua, we discovered that since November (Regulator's last visit) a bike shop had opened pretty much next door to the hotel. It mainly dealt in sports nutrition and by god did they deliver. A small shop but stacked to the rafters with more types of Electrolytes than you'd ever though exisited.

We pop in quickly and told him what was wrong, the brake bolt is stuck there and I need to fit another brake on. He says he'll have a bash and to bring it in later on the day when he's picked up some more tools.

So off we go on our first tester ride, the weather is glorious, and we took a spin out of the coast road, stunning waters, sadly due to the bumps I was unable to stop at the best of times. We decided it was getting too hot and headed back for a spot of lunch and a siesta.

On the way there I dropped my bike in. Between us we weren't hopeful but a few hours later I recieved a call from the bloke who said it was done and off I went to pick it up.

And there it was, my bike all nice and shiney, I asked him how he got it out. He drilled out the bolt but the nut was still in and not budging, so he got a bolt with a big head on it, and used a blow torch to heat up the brake bridge and then whacked the bolt with a huge hammer several time. He then fitted the brake caliper, put in a new cable, adjusted both calipers and gave the pads a roughen up, trued my wheels, cleaned and adjusting my drive train and then gave the bike a quick clean. He actually did a ruddy good job. So I ask him how much, he doesn't anything. I offer him 40 Euros, he puts his hands up in protest, I offer him 10 Euros and he still refused. So I shook his hand and off I went around the block for a quick spin. He really did do a great job.

I brought him a bottle of wine a couple of days later and both myself and TT went in there, only after forcing him did he accept the bottle of wine and even then he was embarrassed, so in return he gave us 4 energy bars. A throughly nice bloke he was. So after that I could start enjoying the rides.

On 2nd day we went up Mosta hill, I have to say it was a biatch the first time. I'm a London boy, I sprint from red light to red light. I live my life 10 seconds at a time I'm not used to riding continously nor having a biggish hill. But after a couple of stops I decided to stop and walk up. At the top the view was quite something, Mosta is pretty much in the middle of the island and is pretty much an all roads lead to sorta place.

I jumped back on the bike once we were all together again and we had a nice down hill to the restaurant. I don't think the Malti drivers knew what coming up with 3 Dinotte 600s flashing towards them. It was nice to have a bit of space. The food was astoundingly good and filling. That was just the starters.

^^^ That was just the ruddy starters! There was litterally everything in there.

After such a large meal were all sort of zoned out. None of us even managed to get half way through our mains.

Aswell as having an great talent for food the restaurant also had the most perfect bar for a pirate ride. Yarrrrr!

Part 2 coming soon.

You can view all of my (now with Simon's added) photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10672729@N06/sets/72157604657702970/
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2008, 01:36:05 am »
I forgot to mention that all the Maltese I met were very warm and friendly helpful people, without exception. They were almost always patient with us on their roads, and displayed none of the aggression we Londonites are accustomed to.

They do have a very bad keeping-small-birds-in-tiny-cages habit though, which I detest.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2008, 08:02:48 am »
Good write up and pics.

I have envy of your sunshine  :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #6 on: 25 April, 2008, 09:09:46 am »
Top ride report and photos , brings back memories from when I was there.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit