Author Topic: Has anyone tried "Adventure Cross"?  (Read 13698 times)

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Has anyone tried "Adventure Cross"?
« on: 10 January, 2017, 11:02:36 pm »
I've been challenged invited to ride the shorter version of this one http://www.ratherbecyclingevents.co.uk/events/cycling-weekly-mbr-moors-shores/ with a work colleague (who seems suspiciously fit).
I'm hoping it will be great fun but I'm not sure whether to take my modern CX bike or ancient (V-Brake, hardtail) MTB.
Any experience/tips welcome!!
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Morat

Re: Has anyone tried "Adventure Cross"?
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2017, 04:19:50 pm »
Guess, I'll be the first and report back then :) I've registered for Moors and Shores.
I'm going on the CX bike. Ride partner is going on her MTB. I'll probably end up being left for dead offroad and trying to get my breath back on the tarmac.

I've just bought some new Schwalbe X-One Allround which should give me a chance on the mud or just slow me to a crawl on the road. Or both. I was originally going to go with G-One for on-road zip but I think I've played it safe instead.

I couldn't justify (or afford!) tubeless when the Performance line versions were £40 for a pair vs £39 each. Also, I won't be running super low pressures anyway because of the tarmac sections.

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:09:35 pm »
I'm looking at local-ish off-road sportives or adventure cross or whatever the particular organiser wants to call it for when I've got the Croix de Fer on the road (well off-the road but you know what I mean).

Let us know how you get on.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:37:06 pm »
Cheers, Chris, beat me to it ;D

My mate Mike's a big fan of adventure cross (I think he's ridden the Moor and Shores - he certainly rode one from Grisedale last year), and he said my ride reminded him of those events. Less offroad overall, mind!

Chris S

« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:40:17 pm »
It's full this year, but I quite fancy a go at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW-7yemHDg4

Morat

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2017, 01:07:22 pm »
I did look very hard at "Don't keep the road" event thread and decided I was too much of a wimp.
I'm only doing the short version of Moors and Shores, but if it goes surprisingly well I'll look you up next year :)

OTOH, I tried my new knobblies yesterday and nearly gave myself a heart attack climbing offroad so really I need some sort of magical improvement!

edit: Also, I'm familiar with Blakey Ridge so you can't sneak that _total bastard_ of a climb in without me noticing :P

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 09 March, 2017, 01:33:54 pm »
It's full this year, but I quite fancy a go at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW-7yemHDg4

I'll post you some pics and a ride report ;)

« Reply #8 on: 09 March, 2017, 01:40:49 pm »
I did look very hard at "Don't keep the road" event thread and decided I was too much of a wimp.
I'm only doing the short version of Moors and Shores, but if it goes surprisingly well I'll look you up next year :)

Ah go on.

edit: Also, I'm familiar with Blakey Ridge so you can't sneak that _total bastard_ of a climb in without me noticing :P

Blakey Ridge from Hutton-le-Hole is a pussycat (but don't tell Chris I said that ;)). Do you mean Blakey Bank?

We don't go up that either - we go down it, then up the other side. It's much worse, and offroad ;D

Morat

« Reply #9 on: 10 March, 2017, 05:16:08 pm »

Ah go on.

Blakey Ridge from Hutton-le-Hole is a pussycat (but don't tell Chris I said that ;)). Do you mean Blakey Bank?

We don't go up that either - we go down it, then up the other side. It's much worse, and offroad ;D

Well, I meant the Blakey Ridge area and the pub. Basically, I know what you're trying to make me ride and I'm not falling for it! (this year) :)

Morat

« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:05:01 am »
Well I did the shorter version of Moors and Shores and it was good!
Due to a course change it turned out to be 38 miles offroad out of 47 total with a rather chewy offroad climb at the end which had apparently been done on a metalled road last year.

I rode it on my Jake the Snake with Schwalbe X-One allrounds and tubes, being too tight to buy the tubeless version. I'm not sure that was a good choice and I was rolling on 50PSI after a Rock/Tyre/Pinch Flat issue on 40PSI the previous week. I certainly felt the bumps and had to take it very slowly on the offroad down hill sections. On some single track it was a bit embarassing and I felt like a tractor on the motorway with a large queue of MTBs behind me. Had I been back down at 40PSI I think I would have enjoyed the whole thing a lot more.

Has anyone fitted a dropper post to a CX Bike? :) Some of the single track was quite technical and slippy, remounting was tricky. On the other hand, going uphill I was passing MTBs all the time both on and off road and the tyres rolled extremely well on the tarmac.

There were two feed stops on our route, one mini stop at the route split that supplied water, bars and gels and the lunch stop which had a huge array of carbs from flapjacks to Jaffa Cakes as well as sandwiches. There was loads to eat, and then a huge hill just afterwards. ouch. Singange was excellent, the GPX was accurate and overall I was very pleased. Now I just need to recover!

Oh, I also overhead that 1200 riders had pre-booked and registration was still open on the day.