Author Topic: The most terrifying road you've ever cycled on  (Read 34700 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The most terrifying road you've ever cycled on
« Reply #50 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:43:24 am »
Quote from: nuttycyclist link=topic=9750.msg170559#msg170559

When you get to an entry slip road, stop, check it's clear, then cross the slip road at 90 degrees.  Yes it's slower for a cyclist, and no I don't normally advocate stopping/dismounting, but it's the only safe way.

IIRC, the A5 near Milton Keynes has hard surfaced bike lanes that cut through the grass arrow-shaped bits just before the slip road so that cyclist can do exactly as Nutty suggests - cross the slip road at right angles.

Yes, there are these on the A14.

Which leads me to believe that they are stealth "Do not consider cycling on this road" indicators!
It is simpler than it looks.

rr

« Reply #51 on: 20 October, 2008, 11:13:03 am »
The A4 Hammersmith Flyover - Mr Larrington's idea, The Hyde Park corner underpass and the A40 from the Wye valley to the M50 when I first went touring as a 14 year old.

« Reply #52 on: 20 October, 2008, 11:35:33 am »
The A4 Hammersmith Flyover - Mr Larrington's idea, The Hyde Park corner underpass and the A40 from the Wye valley to the M50 when I first went touring as a 14 year old.

The Hammersmith Flyover is not too bad. The little one way thingy built from Meccano and bits of string over the Hogarth Roundabout is more interesting. Cycles are not allowed on it over course so don't ask me how I know this.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #53 on: 20 October, 2008, 11:36:21 am »
I've had a few... er... invigorating experiences on the UK roads, but for sheer dull, spirit-sapping terror I'd have to nominate the Yungas Road, in the rain.  :o

I'm glad I did it - Mainly because it means I don't have to do it again...  ;D

You lucky bastard. I'd love to do that one.   :demon:
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #54 on: 20 October, 2008, 12:12:36 pm »
The A12 between the Green Man roundabout and Chelmsford.  I cannot now remember why we chose to go that way, but I made damn' sure that the next time I had cause to cycle to Harwich I didn't go that way.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #55 on: 20 October, 2008, 12:20:10 pm »
Mine has to be the A6025 between Elland and Brighouse.

No gutter to hide in, high grass verges either side, wind whistling down it like no tomorrow and truck drivers that don't give a damn about cyclists.

Not fun, but the only flat bit of road for miles around....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #56 on: 20 October, 2008, 01:11:03 pm »
Werl, mine sounds like a walk in the park compared to some of those, but I did have to do it every day...

It's (or rather was - I understand the road layout thereabouts has changed a bit in the last 2 or 3 years) the stretch from Temple Meads, down and up the Temple Way underpass in the middle lane and then on to the 1st 40 or 50 yards of the dual carriageway that leads to the M32.

Just about as much fun going home...
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #57 on: 20 October, 2008, 01:12:15 pm »

I think the answer to that is to stop going to Elland and Brighouse. I used to swim in Elland baths though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #58 on: 20 October, 2008, 01:26:38 pm »
I've always wished to kick the designer of the junction of the A473 and M4 at Pencoed (East of Bridgend) in the head.

As you cycle westwards along the the cyclist will arrive at a traffic controlled roundabout under the M4.  So start again and pop out under the motorway bridge to discover the M4 slip road has joined on the left as a new inside lane leaving the cyclist  in the middle of a fast moving dual carriageway.

Ok after midnight but in the morning commute it is a very ill advised choice of route.

tiermat

« Reply #59 on: 20 October, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »

I think the answer to that is to stop going to Elland and Brighouse. I used to swim in Elland baths though.

It was a bit tricky to avoid, when I did live in Brighouse :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #60 on: 20 October, 2008, 01:30:31 pm »
I've always wished to kick the designer of the junction of the A473 and M4 at Pencoed (East of Bridgend) in the head.

As you cycle westwards along the the cyclist will arrive at a traffic controlled roundabout under the M4.  So start again and pop out under the motorway bridge to discover the M4 slip road has joined on the left as a new inside lane leaving the cyclist  in the middle of a fast moving dual carriageway.

Ok after midnight but in the morning commute it is a very ill advised choice of route.

I think the same person must have designed Junction 28 at Newport...  :-[
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #61 on: 20 October, 2008, 02:10:05 pm »

It was a bit tricky to avoid, when I did live in Brighouse :)

You could have gone via Southowram   ;) ;) ;) :o

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #62 on: 20 October, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »
I never cycle along the a65 between Skipton and Settle,another I avoid is the roundabout at Gildersome which is a major melting pot for the main Leeds to Huddersfield or Bradford roads plus the M62 and M602 where there is also a major retail outlet (Ikea et al )and it an accident blackspot for cars let alone cycles ,its the scariest place I have ever been on a bike.

The road between Cooper bridge in Huddersfiel and Brighouse is a bit of a mare as well

tiermat

« Reply #63 on: 20 October, 2008, 02:17:20 pm »

The road between Cooper bridge in Huddersfiel and Brighouse is a bit of a mare as well

I'll second that one, rode it once, and once only....

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #64 on: 20 October, 2008, 02:56:38 pm »
Driving it's not much fun either.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #65 on: 20 October, 2008, 04:23:22 pm »
The A419 from Stroud to Cirencester is a bit hairy. 60+mph and not a lot of visibility.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #66 on: 20 October, 2008, 06:52:59 pm »
Quote from: nuttycyclist link=topic=9750.msg170559#msg170559

When you get to an entry slip road, stop, check it's clear, then cross the slip road at 90 degrees.  Yes it's slower for a cyclist, and no I don't normally advocate stopping/dismounting, but it's the only safe way.

IIRC, the A5 near Milton Keynes has hard surfaced bike lanes that cut through the grass arrow-shaped bits just before the slip road so that cyclist can do exactly as Nutty suggests - cross the slip road at right angles.

Yes, there are these on the A14.

Which leads me to believe that they are stealth "Do not consider cycling on this road" indicators!

And on the A55 - It's effectively a motorway as far as drivers are concerned although not too bad to cycle on as most of it has good sight lines. Worst bit locally is the junction with the A494 where you have to join via a 'cross over' sliproad to carry on to North Wales - only tried that once on the bike :hand:
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #67 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:02:12 pm »
I've been scared on some nice quiet roads in France, but that wasn't because of the drivers but because of the 500 foot sheer drops the other side of a little low wall - a wall which had gaps in places so that you could enjoy the view even more.
I like roads like that  ;D
The best I found was a 400' drop with underhang so you could hold a bottle at arms length, let go and it wouldn't touch 'til the bottom. Not only that, but it was about 1 in 5 going down, with one way car traffic coming the other way (downhill cars were in a tunnel banned to bikes). No gaps in the 2' high wall tho'.

« Reply #68 on: 20 October, 2008, 09:58:02 pm »
Werl, mine sounds like a walk in the park compared to some of those, but I did have to do it every day...

It's (or rather was - I understand the road layout thereabouts has changed a bit in the last 2 or 3 years) the stretch from Temple Meads, down and up the Temple Way underpass in the middle lane and then on to the 1st 40 or 50 yards of the dual carriageway that leads to the M32.

Just about as much fun going home...

Yes the road layout has changed* in the last couple of years.

Yes I've ridden it as you describe.

* New layout includes the outside lane of the southbound M32 turning into a bus/taxi/motorbike lane.  I've had the motorbike in it.  I am tempted to work out how to get the Brompton in there ;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #69 on: 21 October, 2008, 08:15:59 am »
The A419 from Stroud to Cirencester is a bit hairy. 60+mph and not a lot of visibility.
+1  It can be. We use the section(s) up to Coates & Sapperton from the R.A.C. for a couple of our lunchtime circuits. Most of the time it's OK...
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #70 on: 21 October, 2008, 12:07:08 pm »
I have noticed Pat Kenny riding his trike occasionally on the A38 between Lichfield and Derby (dual-carriageway).  This section of the road was once one of the fastest time trial courses in the country but was banned after a couple of riders were killed in the early 90's which sadly included PBP rider Fliss Beard (Iwas marshalling that dreadful day).  Although the road is very straight and flat, it is also quite narrow.

It is some of the single carriageway main roads that I personally find to be potentially lethal such as the A41 from Wolverhampton to Whitchurch, part of which was the route of the first ever 600k Audax (Windsor-Chester-Windsor) It is often used by truckers as a route from the ports of Liverpool to the Midlands although its not too bad on Sundays.

531C

« Reply #71 on: 23 October, 2008, 12:12:47 am »
another I avoid is the roundabout at Gildersome which is a major melting pot for the main Leeds to Huddersfield or Bradford roads plus the M62 and M602 where there is also a major retail outlet (Ikea et al )and it an accident blackspot for cars let alone cycles ,its the scariest place I have ever been on a bike.

Every time I go through this section traffic is at a standstill so I filter through which is easier than if the traffic is moving.WTF is happening at this roundabout? It's had roadworks/disruptions on it for about 3 years with no end in sight.

« Reply #72 on: 18 January, 2020, 04:36:25 pm »
The A34 from Bicester to Oxford... at 5pm on a weekday.  :facepalm:
The traffic was still flowing at full speed, but dense as it could be.

A close second was ending up on the A40 Westway at night time on a commuter bike. Just past Royal Oak, and the hard shoulder disappeared. (Until 2000, it was the A40(M)).

It has to be said, I've done Oxford-Abingdon on the A34 at 7am and it was actually pleasant. Not one in-lane overtake! Time of day is often a huge factor.

I'm tempted to do a dash up the M40 at 4 am, a hard shoulder would be a luxury.   :demon:

« Reply #73 on: 18 January, 2020, 04:51:28 pm »
A82 between Fort William and Corran Ferry. HGVs passing at 50mph inches away. Was supposed to ride to Oban but took Corran Ferry and island hopped in preference to dying.

Also A66 (I think) near Kirkby Something near Kirkby Lonsdale. Same as A82 experience except faster traffic. Walked in field in preference to dying. Then beer.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #74 on: 18 January, 2020, 05:02:40 pm »
We did a very short stretch of the A66 out of Kendal Keswick. It was most unpleasant, but there were 5 of us on 4 bikes so we made a car-sized knot and occupied the full lane for about 200 yards before turning right.

A507 heading west towards Baldock. It's a narrow winding A road full of fast vehicle-sized rats running between the A10 and A1.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.