Author Topic: Six Nations 2024  (Read 4508 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Six Nations 2024
« Reply #25 on: 10 February, 2024, 06:39:05 pm »
That’s was quite exciting.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 10 February, 2024, 08:00:55 pm »
Quite noisy too, with Professor Larrington rooting loudly for the Welshoviks next to me on the sofa.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 11 February, 2024, 01:54:06 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/68261875

The ref is blatantly a mum using that line

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #28 on: 11 February, 2024, 03:27:05 pm »
I’m trying to work out why I’ve bothered to turn up the colmontators for this match. I know it’s not an easy job, but do they really have to talk such utter bollox?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #29 on: 11 February, 2024, 06:19:42 pm »
Hopefully the new head injury protocols will filter through to the quality of punditry - but it's going to take a generation.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #30 on: 11 February, 2024, 06:25:57 pm »
I’m trying to work out why I’ve bothered to turn up the colmontators for this match. I know it’s not an easy job, but do they really have to talk such utter bollox?

I'm amazed they had any totalbollox left over from yesterday.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #31 on: 12 February, 2024, 09:04:11 am »
Da bhoys could have been a bit more considerate of Italy yesterday. Points difference trumps mercy every time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #32 on: 24 February, 2024, 06:36:23 pm »
Had an opportunity to be there, but am the other end of the country.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 24 February, 2024, 09:33:51 pm »
I watch the second Scotland try umpteen times, stopping the frame at a critical point, and I’m pretty certain that van der Merwe’s left elbow hit the corner flag a fraction of a second before he grounded the ball.

I only saw the highlights. Was the TMO involved or not, does anyone know?

Edit: I have just read that touching the corner flag whilst airborne is irrelevant. I thought that the corner flag was in touch. I must be out of touch.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #34 on: 24 February, 2024, 09:58:17 pm »
I watch the second Scotland try umpteen times, stopping the frame at a critical point, and I’m pretty certain that van der Merwe’s left elbow hit the corner flag a fraction of a second before he grounded the ball.

I only saw the highlights. Was the TMO involved or not, does anyone know?

Edit: I have just read that touching the corner flag whilst airborne is irrelevant. I thought that the corner flag was in touch. I must be out of touch.

I think it used to be the case. One of the commentators said something like “4 years ago that try would have been disallowed “ so I think there’s been a rule change.

« Reply #35 on: 25 February, 2024, 12:14:34 am »
I think he received a forward pass at the beginning of his run.  But Scotland were well worth their win.  It was nice that Furbank got his first try, though anyone in that space would have scored it.  On the other hand, it is ironic that he was brought in to replace Steward, one of the world's best catchers, because he dropped the ball, enabling that Scottish try.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #36 on: 25 February, 2024, 03:15:14 pm »
Just why are the Italians in this tournament? Thats all.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #37 on: 25 February, 2024, 04:51:21 pm »
Heartbreaking.

« Reply #38 on: 25 February, 2024, 04:55:59 pm »

????

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #39 on: 25 February, 2024, 06:25:01 pm »

????
It’s just that they are the perpetual holders of the wooden spoon. At the beginning of that match it looked like they were completely outmatched, but I was wrong it seems.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #40 on: 25 February, 2024, 06:30:07 pm »
I think he received a forward pass at the beginning of his run.  But Scotland were well worth their win.  It was nice that Furbank got his first try, though anyone in that space would have scored it.  On the other hand, it is ironic that he was brought in to replace Steward, one of the world's best catchers, because he dropped the ball, enabling that Scottish try.

Yes, it looked forward to me too, but wasn’t picked up on. An All Black pass, I think.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #41 on: 25 February, 2024, 06:51:44 pm »
What's the Italian for "Ah merde!"?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #42 on: 25 February, 2024, 07:37:30 pm »
World class player van der Merwe most certainly is, but I think he's got one of the most irritating grins of any sportsperson I've ever seen.

« Reply #43 on: 25 February, 2024, 07:57:16 pm »
I think it's actually the stupidly-fashionable no-sides haircut that accentuates it!  One of the many unfortunate spin-offs from the exploitative Peaky Blinders.

« Reply #44 on: 25 February, 2024, 08:02:17 pm »

Yes, it looked forward to me too, but wasn’t picked up on. An All Black pass, I think.

;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #45 on: 25 February, 2024, 08:04:58 pm »
There’s something a bit suspicious about that McMerwe but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is :demon:

Also, Forza Italia!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #46 on: 25 February, 2024, 08:06:03 pm »

????
It’s just that they are the perpetual holders of the wooden spoon. At the beginning of that match it looked like they were completely outmatched, but I was wrong it seems.

No problem!  I think from fairly soon, England may be perpetual holders of the wooden spoon.  Anyway, you are miles behind me in the erroneous prediction stakes - neither of us can hold a candle to the poor predictions of "genuine pundits" who are usually living proof of concussion damage!  Especially in cricket!

« Reply #47 on: 25 February, 2024, 08:09:30 pm »
There’s something a bit suspicious about that McMerwe but I can’t quite put my finger on what it is :demon:

Also, Forza Italia!

He makes me think of The Day The earth Stood Still (1951).  He is an eerie combination of the alien Klaatu (Michael Rennie) and the robot Gort.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #48 on: 06 March, 2024, 11:21:50 pm »
My sister told me this morning that she and her Chap have tickets for Wales v France this coming Sunday.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #49 on: 09 March, 2024, 04:05:26 pm »
Oops.