Author Topic: A 200km DIY around Snowdonia National Park  (Read 993 times)

A 200km DIY around Snowdonia National Park
« on: 05 August, 2019, 09:14:24 pm »
This time last week I started out on a DIY audax around the Snowdonia National Park - I have to say this has to be one of my favourite bike rides so far - the scenery was absolutely breathtaking... I will be returning!

https://youtu.be/FqhiVPdQOL8
Frequent Audax and bike ride videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/djrikki2008/videos

Re: A 200km DIY around Snowdonia National Park
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2019, 10:46:30 am »
Great ride, Richard. Reminds me of a couple of my old favourite 200s - the Snowdonia 200 (a one-off event back in 2008, ex Bangor, with 4400m climbing) and Barmouth Boulevard (ex Corwen, 3450m, which covers the southern part of your route). Fantastic area for cycling.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2019, 12:19:19 pm »
Was there a small ascent at the end of the ride?  I don't remember if you mentioned it  ;D

Loverly views of Snowdonia, and you had a great day for it

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2019, 12:36:33 pm »
I was there a couple of weeks ago and rode the northern loop of the BCM in reverse, i.e. climbing from Dolgellau to Trawsfynydd, turning left instead of right at Beddgelert, and returning via Harlech.  I much preferred it to the usual route, although I appreciate that the climb up to Pen-Y-Pass might be more scenic northbound than southbound. 

I guess the potential for early evening traffic on the A470 might be one reason for doing the Dolgellau-Beddgelert leg clockwise but I was on it mid-morning on a weekday and it didn't seem too bad. I didn't think to check the opening times of the Barmouth Bridge but I presume it is always open so there wouldn't be a problem with people wanting to cross it during the night. 

Unless there is an info control slipped in at the top of Llanberis again, it might be fun to ride it backwards sometime.  :demon:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?