Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463731 times)

simonp

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #125 on: 15 January, 2015, 11:01:29 pm »
I did a spin class today. Dear $deity those bikes are uncomfortable. Very strange sensation too, it won't freewheel. Nearly bunnyhopped the thing the first time I tried!

If you are used to riding fixed, it feels completely normal.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #126 on: 16 January, 2015, 09:47:17 am »
I did a spin class today. Dear $deity those bikes are uncomfortable. Very strange sensation too, it won't freewheel. Nearly bunnyhopped the thing the first time I tried!

If you are used to riding fixed, it feels completely normal.

I've never ridden fixed, but that's what I was thinking. As I can't afford n+1, I guess the odd spin class might be a nice way of improving my pedal stroke.

« Reply #127 on: 16 January, 2015, 06:47:06 pm »
I've been experiencing Gout for the first time since the start of the year, well that's my prognosis. Do I go to the Docs? It's starting to go now so probably will have gone by the time I get my appointment. There is nothing to show him anyway. Thanks for your help.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #128 on: 16 January, 2015, 06:56:22 pm »
Prognosis means the way a condition is likely to progress.
Diagnosis means deciding on the name of the condition causing problems.

Gout usually causes severe pain and inflammation in the joint at the base of the big toe.
It is due to deposition of uric acid crystals in the joint.

There are other causes of foot pain.

Gout can be treated, investigated and prevented, if you give medics the chance to do this.

« Reply #129 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:17:55 pm »
Thanks Helly, I've just read [ur=https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80098.0l]this[/url] thread. I will book an appointment at the Docs on Mon. The pain I have is not great and has not stopped me doing anything. I thought it was chaffing on one of my big toes at first but then the other one started similar. Seems worse in the morning and there is nothing to see on the toe but it doesn't feel like in the joint either.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #130 on: 16 January, 2015, 07:54:12 pm »
I've never ridden fixed, but that's what I was thinking. As I can't afford n+1, I guess the odd spin class might be a nice way of improving my pedal stroke.

Best way to improve your pedal stroke is to pedal with one leg.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #131 on: 16 January, 2015, 08:13:03 pm »

Best way to improve your pedal stroke is to pedal with one leg.
I had to do that from half way to work and all the way home about 20 years ago.  You tend to change gear a lot.  Mostly down.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #132 on: 16 January, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »
Thanks Helly, I've just read [ur=https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80098.0l]this[/url] thread. I will book an appointment at the Docs on Mon. The pain I have is not great and has not stopped me doing anything. I thought it was chaffing on one of my big toes at first but then the other one started similar. Seems worse in the morning and there is nothing to see on the toe but it doesn't feel like in the joint either.

I had gout in my right toe a few years ago, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy BUT alopurinol shifted the little beast in no time. Had an infection in left big toe a couple of years earlier, ignored it thinking it was bruising MISTAKE took 4 different courses of antibiotics to get shot of it, took months to kill it.
MORAL listen to your tootsies!!!
" One Cup Of Tea Is Never Enough But 2 Is One Too Many " - John Shuttleworth

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #133 on: 22 January, 2015, 08:05:03 pm »
The head cold I had at the beginning of the week has lowered itself into a chest cold and set off my asthma. And the use-by date on my inhaler is July 2013.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #134 on: 24 January, 2015, 06:23:49 pm »
I wish the crud in my lungs would fuck off.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #135 on: 24 January, 2015, 06:31:52 pm »
Get Well Soon, EG!
TEA can be helpful...

simonp

« Reply #136 on: 24 January, 2015, 06:35:57 pm »
Having felt ok since yesterday evening I went for a bike ride this afternoon. Up cheddar gorge, left at Charterhouse, left again and down Burrington Combe. Back along the A38 from Langford. I struggled on the Gorge, stomach felt a bit rough at times and I coughed and spluttered a bit too. Not much miles in my legs at present and heavy, and it shows.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #137 on: 24 January, 2015, 07:20:29 pm »
Get Well Soon, EG!
TEA can be helpful...
In that it makes me vomit and that might force some of the lungcrud out?  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #138 on: 24 January, 2015, 07:43:20 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
Theophylline is a well-known bronchodilator.
Hot drinks can be helpful.
Seeing as the stuff makes you puke, maybe just go for peppermint or honey & lemon.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #139 on: 24 January, 2015, 07:51:36 pm »
I might do some steam inhalation later.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #140 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:41:32 am »
Mrs T just brought back some dried mango from the shops. Tastes bloody marvellous.  Any way I can justify this as Audax fodder?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #141 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:18:02 am »
Mrs T just brought back some dried mango from the shops. Tastes bloody marvellous.  Any way I can justify this as Audax fodder?

Tasty (and pricy) though it is, Audaxers may not appreciate its mild laxative effects.
YMMV...

(and make sure you don't eat the wrong sort of date bars...)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #142 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:27:46 am »
Ah well. Something to pass around the others, then.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #143 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:20:41 am »
Woke just after 3 with a sore throat. Feels like a tonsillitis brewing. Ugh.

Chris S

« Reply #144 on: 03 February, 2015, 03:45:05 pm »
I am really quite allergic to eggs. It's messy and unpleasant when I get it wrong (lots of vomit, chicken-poxesque rash, general brokenness).

This has proved even more annoying since taking up low-carb eating, because eggs are very much a Good Thing to eat.

So I've been experimenting. I already knew my reaction could be avoided if egg is blended with "a high surface area substrate" (read - flour) - which is probably why I can eat choux buns, cake, pancakes and so on. But I've never done any dose-tests to see just how far I can push it. Until now.

Lunch today - 3 egg omelette with just 1/3rd of a cup of almond flour (plus bacon, and cheese).

The next few hours are going to be tense. I'll be staying near the loo - just in case...  :-X

Chris S

« Reply #145 on: 04 February, 2015, 10:47:51 am »
Haha!! All was fine. I can haz Eggs!!  :D

« Reply #146 on: 04 February, 2015, 11:26:04 am »
Lower back spasm again. Hobbling round like an 80 year old. Deep heat pad applied and industrial painkiller taken. Looks like the bike will stay in the shed for a few days :(
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #147 on: 04 February, 2015, 11:43:27 am »
Chest still sore 21/2 weeks after ice induced off. Hit bars on the way down. Not as bad as it was, but still uncomfortable esp when trying to sleep.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #148 on: 04 February, 2015, 12:05:23 pm »
I appear to be coughing up the entire coating of my throat and lungs, but it seems like my body is just mopping up after the weekend's flu. My appetite has returned, I'm not boiling/freezing and I can talk almost normally again :)

Back on the bike for the first time since Friday :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #149 on: 04 February, 2015, 06:40:03 pm »
Finally managed to get a Cub to the GP whilst he was obviously wheezy.  GP had a listen and checked peak flow and glanced at history and confirmed that asthma is the most likely explanation.  Ventolin and a follow up at the wheezy-nurse clinic in a few weeks time to review.

EldestCub worked out, as we waited for quite some time to see the GP, that the last time he'd been there was for his jabs.  8 years ago...