Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463620 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #525 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:01:32 am »
Not quite in focus but improving every day.  I think some of the astigmatism is pressure related because the anti pressure drops have made a massive improvement overnight.  I think I might get away without specs - will know in about a month.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #526 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:57:46 pm »
Dear Tesco The Pharmacist,

When I asked my husband to pick up some Lemsips for me on his way home from work I expected him to arrive with lemon flavoured cold remedies which, while not dealing with my runny nose can be made into a warm, comforting drink which deals adequately with the aches associated with my cold. I am exceedingly disappointed that you asked him for my symptoms, most of which he didn't know and then insisted he bought a pseudoephedrine based medicine in tablet form instead on the basis that I have a runny nose and a sore throat (I don't, he was guessing at that point).

I know the drug is working because I have a very dry mouth and throat and a thumping headache, still got a runny nose, still sneezing and my eyes are watering madly again. On the plus side Vernon's hot honey and lemon drink with a pinch of cinnamon is much nicer (and cheaper) than Lemsip so that's another thing we won't be buying from you again.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #527 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:38:24 pm »
Is lemsip not basically just paracetamol, sugar and hot water?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #528 on: 18 November, 2015, 09:40:25 pm »

Yeah, pretty much, but the smell is dead comforting and it's a nice hot drink with drugs in it  :thumbsup:
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #529 on: 18 November, 2015, 11:43:46 pm »

You forgot the citric acid...
... but yes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #530 on: 18 November, 2015, 11:46:48 pm »

It's worse than that, it's liquid paracetamol.  That stuff is only okay after a general anaesthetic, and only because everything tastes like that after a GA.   :sick:

I prefer my paracetamol in capsules that can be swallowed quickly and efficiently with minimal tongue contact.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #531 on: 19 November, 2015, 07:49:14 am »

Yeah, pretty much, but the smell is dead comforting and it's a nice hot drink with drugs in it  :thumbsup:

This.

Anyway we now have another useless box of drugs in the house, Vernon can't take Actifed because he has high blood pressure and I only use it in a dire emergency because it gives me a banging headache.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #532 on: 19 November, 2015, 09:54:55 am »
I remember my mum giving me lemsick when I was little and I hated it because it was so sweet. I made her put most of the contents of a Jif squeezy lemon into it before I would drink it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #533 on: 19 November, 2015, 09:57:10 am »
I actually like the bittersweetness of it.  It cuts through the yucky white film I get on my tongue when I'b god a code.
Milk please, no sugar.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #534 on: 19 November, 2015, 11:43:43 am »
Lemon juice and honey in hot water contain no nasty DRUGS, but may minimally damage your teeth.
You could do worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #535 on: 19 November, 2015, 01:02:36 pm »
X-ray shows no bony abnormality. GP has no idea what is causing the pain and swelling, and oh, did I mention the PAIN? I'm trying diclofenac gel for 2 weeks and go back if not better.

« Reply #536 on: 20 November, 2015, 08:32:18 pm »
globus pharyngeus, absolutely sick of it
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #537 on: 23 November, 2015, 02:37:04 pm »
Does anyone know of any charities that will accept unused and still packaged medical supplies (catheters and related gubbins) for re-use? Looking on line I can only find ones that take from suppliers or GPs.
Thanks

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #538 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:12:48 pm »
Grumble. I've spent today feeling hungover*, but I think I'm properly hydrated and I haven't drunk anything alcoholic for weeks ???

*Throbbing headache, lack of energy, not actually feeling sick though
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #539 on: 23 November, 2015, 03:50:17 pm »
Maybe you need a coffee...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #540 on: 25 November, 2015, 01:17:32 pm »
Eye has now improved to the point where my otherwise ineffctual reading glasses (+0.5 in the right eye) are almost enough to correct it.  It's odd to need convex lenses for distance but presumably the cornea is still a bit flattened by having an extra bit stuck onto the inside and the eye is focusing beyond infinity; it takes some effort to squeeze everything into sharp focus.  I just happen to have a Nikon +1 dioptre eyepiece for the F3 and this gives very good, if a tiny bit smeared* focus at all distances.  So I'll just get some cheapo glasses with +1 on the right and a plain lens on the left for now - they may only be useful for a short time, but will make driving at night possible without the out-of-focus distant headlights.  The opthalmologist said not to spend any proper money on glasses, especially as the left eye is going to be done in about April.

*there's bound to be some astigmatism - there are still stitches in the eyeball - but this should, in theory, be insignificant eventually.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #541 on: 25 November, 2015, 02:13:37 pm »

It's worse than that, it's liquid paracetamol.  That stuff is only okay after a general anaesthetic, and only because everything tastes like that after a GA.   :sick:

I prefer my paracetamol in capsules that can be swallowed quickly and efficiently with minimal tongue contact.

Remember,,, f' ckoffs and colds, take lemsip.

IGMC.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #542 on: 26 November, 2015, 04:50:22 pm »
My GP's surgery has called me for a fasting blood sugar. I am not diabetic. Getting me to the surgery for this will, no doubt displease the partner.
I am minded to push my sugar down to the worrisome out of spite.
I am not nice.
I will aim for 2.9...

I FAILED to have a silly low blood sugar, probably because the sample was taken on the Monday morning after the AUK shindig weekend, during which I ate lotsandlots of foods.

Still, a fasting glucose of 4.7mmol/l would suggest I am not diabetic.
Which I knew anyway.

But boxes haves to be checked and
I live in Brent, which has a high incidence of Type 2 diabetes.
I am over 55.

« Reply #543 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:28:44 am »
Dunno if anyone is interested - I was until I decided I wasn't ;o) - Sportpursuit have a deal on Tanita Body composition scales with the cheapest at £47 http://www.sportpursuit.com/sales/tanita-nov15

Apparently, these are accurate to measure percentage body fat using electrodes in the heels, and the expensive models have electrodes you hold to measure tummy fat.

If you aren't a member of Sportpursuit you can join with my link or if you have a friend or rely get and use theirs if you prefer, if you ever buy anything the introducer gets £5 credit so someone ought to get it ;). They appear to have cut way back on their daily mails, too, but that may be because I haven't bought anything in a while.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #544 on: 03 December, 2015, 09:56:12 am »
I'm off for a vaginal ultrasound scan in a minute.  I'm actually quite excited.  It's the closest thing I've had to a date in years.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #545 on: 03 December, 2015, 10:53:45 am »
Manage your expectations Ruthie.

« Reply #546 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:06:16 pm »
I'm off for a vaginal ultrasound scan in a minute.  I'm actually quite excited.  It's the closest thing I've had to a date in years.
Is this POTD?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #547 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:16:02 pm »
I would hope the mods/Librarian have some discretion and taste...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #548 on: 03 December, 2015, 12:31:26 pm »
X-ray shows no bony abnormality. GP has no idea what is causing the pain and swelling, and oh, did I mention the PAIN? I'm trying diclofenac gel for 2 weeks and go back if not better.
Gel has reduced the soft tissue swelling, but the bony swelling and PAIN are still there. I'm going back to the GP next week.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #549 on: 03 December, 2015, 01:44:09 pm »
Gel has reduced the soft tissue swelling, but the bony swelling and PAIN are still there. I'm going back to the GP next week.

Well don't go falling off your bike. Diclofenac kills vultures. ;)
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight