Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 463406 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #900 on: 04 April, 2016, 01:08:15 pm »
Slugs and snails... ;) ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #901 on: 04 April, 2016, 01:11:49 pm »
With a pinch of salt.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #902 on: 04 April, 2016, 04:37:13 pm »
@ElyDave: Gout.

My own reason for coming in here: it looks like our club prez has come up in the heart attack sweepstake. Intense pain behind the sternum and loss of energy.  Still ambulant and articulate but on the fast track to the cardio dept. OK, I'm a client there already, but I had to be diabetic for 30 years to manage it; he did it all on his own. Well, his wife helped.

Meantime I'm off to the gastropod tomorrow to have a tube shoved down my throat. 3rd time in 9 years: first two I elected to stay awake, this time they're going to put me out. Haven't had a general since I was 6. That time I awoke spitting blood; this time probably not.

What a wunnerful year this is.

Gout, unlikely in just the thumbs? I've had my big toe joints investigated but that was bone spurs.

I'm thinking more likely the nerves, or tendonitis.  I don't like rest.

Good luck with the endoscopy, having had that once, I'll pass this time.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #903 on: 05 April, 2016, 03:17:43 am »
Ely Dave
How old are you?

Pain in the base of the thumb over the age of 50is almost universal. Over 50% of women over the age of 50 will have x-ray evidence of arthritis and men seem to be catching up.

Any activity which puts the thumb into a flat position wrt the hand will stress the CMC joint and cause some pain.

Again it is all down to weight distribution and position on the bike.

ElyDave

« Reply #904 on: 05 April, 2016, 06:58:10 am »
Chris, I'm 42

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #905 on: 05 April, 2016, 09:57:01 am »
Gout can get you in virtually any joint; it just needs a backwater where uric acid crystals can accumulate.  Although if you're not metabolically challenged at all tendinitis is more likely.  A few years back I got vile tendinitis in one wrist after fitting new STI levers a little too high.  It still catches me if I use a cooking knife at the appropriate angle.

« Reply #906 on: 06 April, 2016, 10:18:28 am »
At 42 you are young for arthritic pain but give it another few years.
I would suspect either tennis elbow or de Quervains. Although if it is mainly on the bike then pressure on the thumb joint may be responsible.

ElyDave

« Reply #907 on: 06 April, 2016, 02:39:09 pm »
I suspect a combination of things.  Thumb grip is intermittently painful depending on what I'm squeezing and how hard.

I imagine it's probably a combination of more handwriting, more cycling, adding weights into the workouts, use of secateurs etc in the garden probably all just manifesting itself more when I'm on the bike.  It seems worse on the turbo, possibly because I'm not shifting hand/body position so often.

Anyway N+1 recumbent is on order, so there's that to look forward to.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #908 on: 11 April, 2016, 02:31:34 am »
It's 2-30am and I can't sleep. TEH BADD HEDD is making me too nauseous to lie still without crying over the 19 year, 361 day long Migraine. Sitting up however makes me feel sea sick with the Meniere's making "Up" a moving direction. I'm starting to get the "Opt out" thoughts again and it feels more thought through this time. Sorry to whinge, miserably, at anybody stuck reading this.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #909 on: 11 April, 2016, 04:15:32 pm »
It's 2-30am and I can't sleep. TEH BADD HEDD is making me too nauseous to lie still without crying over the 19 year, 361 day long Migraine. Sitting up however makes me feel sea sick with the Meniere's making "Up" a moving direction. I'm starting to get the "Opt out" thoughts again and it feels more thought through this time. Sorry to whinge, miserably, at anybody stuck reading this.

I hope you feel better today 'Dog x
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #910 on: 11 April, 2016, 07:59:32 pm »
I hear your desperation and hope that things improve.  Your problems sound horrendous.  I have no other words.

« Reply #911 on: 12 April, 2016, 01:35:52 pm »
Hang in there PD.

The hood contact point callus on my right hand has split, its quite sore now.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #912 on: 12 April, 2016, 07:03:54 pm »
Sorry for the moan, but thanks for listening anyway.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #913 on: 17 April, 2016, 10:22:21 am »
Started feeling really, really ill while on holiday last week in Minorca. It felt like the mother & father of all chest infections. After a phone call to the Nationwide Travel Insurance people (absolutely ace service) I went to the nearest hospital Urgencias where I was xrrayed, blood tested, and examined and diagnosed with a viral chest infection and given mega-strength Ibuprofen and fizzy Acetycysteine to take.
I held my good humour together throughout the holiday for Mrs M, but I nearly killed various passengers on the RyanAir flight home!
I'm now starting to feel slightly more human.

Sent from my Vi8 using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #914 on: 17 April, 2016, 10:38:01 am »
Been on steroids and antibiotics for a week whilst on holiday. Held out well enough to run 92km last week. Got back home and came off the drugs. Planned to ride 100km at 160w on Zwift. Could barely hold 150w. At 80km my PC did an annoying update which killed ANT+. I've never been so relieved. This morning, my PF is down 50l/min, and doing it was like doing circular breathing - lots of green custard.

Back on the antibiotics. Stupid bronchiectasis lungs.

« Reply #915 on: 17 April, 2016, 11:17:21 am »
Oxygen is really important.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #916 on: 18 April, 2016, 08:39:37 am »
Suffering from thumb-picker's cuticle. Ouch. Grin. Ouch.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #917 on: 18 April, 2016, 12:08:30 pm »
Eye no.2 was grafted on Friday.  Doing a bit better than eye no.1 was at the same point in time.  Happily, early indications are that the optical prescription will be almost exactly the same at about +1.75 (IME it doesn't change a whole lot after the first ten days) which means I can buy cheap glasses for reading, even if I need "proper" glasses for everything else.  Currently looking a bit like The Terminator, thobuts.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #918 on: 20 April, 2016, 07:50:08 pm »
I've gone nearly a week without alcohol - six days, to be precise. This is easily my longest dry spell for over two years. I had started the year with the intention of cutting booze consumption down drastically but I have singularly failed in that.

I don't think I am what you'd call 'dependent' but my drinking has certainly been in the realms of 'misuse' over the last couple of years. This has largely been driven by stress - both at home and at work. Or maybe that's an excuse. I don't know, but I do know that my health has suffered - I've put back on most of the weight I lost and I'm not sleeping well (one of the vicious ironies of drinking to help you relax).

My base fitness is still there but my stamina is massively depleted, cycling uphill is painful and running has gone back to being not fun, like it was before I lost weight.

I've got to the point where something has to give. And I don't want it to be my heart.

I'm also hoping that cutting out the booze will help me finally shake off this lingering chest infection that I've had for a couple of months, put an end to the recurring gastric reflux pain (the cause is a hiatus hernia, but the symptoms are brought on by excessive eating & drinking), and general feelings of weariness.

One day at a time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #919 on: 20 April, 2016, 10:11:39 pm »
If you're into reminders and validation the Dry January app allows you to record your non-drinking and calculates money saved as well as offering not - drinking tips and factoids.
(I know, but I'm still 'in' in April and I think the daily tally / check / reminder helps)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #920 on: 20 April, 2016, 10:22:55 pm »
I've gone nearly a week without alcohol - six days, to be precise. This is easily my longest dry spell for over two years. I had started the year with the intention of cutting booze consumption down drastically but I have singularly failed in that.

I don't think I am what you'd call 'dependent' but my drinking has certainly been in the realms of 'misuse' over the last couple of years. This has largely been driven by stress - both at home and at work. Or maybe that's an excuse. I don't know, but I do know that my health has suffered - I've put back on most of the weight I lost and I'm not sleeping well (one of the vicious ironies of drinking to help you relax).

My base fitness is still there but my stamina is massively depleted, cycling uphill is painful and running has gone back to being not fun, like it was before I lost weight.

I've got to the point where something has to give. And I don't want it to be my heart.

I'm also hoping that cutting out the booze will help me finally shake off this lingering chest infection that I've had for a couple of months, put an end to the recurring gastric reflux pain (the cause is a hiatus hernia, but the symptoms are brought on by excessive eating & drinking), and general feelings of weariness.

One day at a time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck.

Booze can be very insidious.  Even when it's not alcoholism it can be incredibly "habit forming" ("just a few glasses to relax", "just a couple of glasses because it's bloody Wednesday" ...etc, and, before you know it, it's a 7 day habit with an excuse for every occasion).

I find excuses very easily if it's in the house so I don't have it in the house Mon-Thu.  I don't crave it, or miss it, but I'll drink it if it's there. 
I try to keep it to a Fri-Sun thing and even then I've cut back a bit.  I think as I get older I'd prefer to have more weekend and less hangover.

Like I say, good luck.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #921 on: 21 April, 2016, 01:40:19 pm »
If you're into reminders and validation the Dry January app allows you to record your non-drinking and calculates money saved as well as offering not - drinking tips and factoids.
(I know, but I'm still 'in' in April and I think the daily tally / check / reminder helps)

Thanks for the tip. That could be useful.

Good luck.

Cheers! ;)

I find excuses very easily if it's in the house so I don't have it in the house Mon-Thu.  I don't crave it, or miss it, but I'll drink it if it's there. 
I try to keep it to a Fri-Sun thing and even then I've cut back a bit.  I think as I get older I'd prefer to have more weekend and less hangover.

Yeah, easy access to booze makes it almost impossible to resist for me. And cheap supermarket beer offers don't help. My real problem is that I can't have 'just one' as long as there is more than one available. Avoiding having it in the house is the only way to avoid the temptation to drink it. Luckily my wife is not a drinker so that makes it a bit easier.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #922 on: 21 April, 2016, 05:06:01 pm »
Sore throat. Bugger.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #923 on: 23 April, 2016, 09:04:30 pm »
Can drive (in daylight, at least) without glasses.  Didn't expect that.  Am learning to use eyes together again as they've effectively been "decoupled" for six months, with only one of them being in focus.  It takes a bit of effort but they are beginning to work in tandem.  The focusing muscles in the right eye are now so strong that it snaps into focus, even quite close up, if the left eye is closed.  Left eye is comparatively weak as yet but it will get there.

Something I didn't realise is that most people who aren't short-sighted are actually slightly long-sighted (by which I mean hyperopic*, not presbyopic). It's very rare for an object at infinity to be perfectly in focus on the retina with the eye muscles completely relaxed; you just aren't built to that sort of precision.  The eye nearly always has to adjust a little by focusing itself, but you never notice.

*where, with the eye relaxed, it focuses beyond infinity like some modern AF camera lenses
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #924 on: 24 April, 2016, 11:20:07 am »
Good luck, poorly folk.

I'm ill again. Asthma triggered by dust from our building work and disruption from a forced change to my medication (now sorted but v frustrating). Plus motion sickness while out in the van trying to escape the dust, luckily I had a camping mug handy to puke into.  :sick: Followed by an ocular migraine which lasted much of the night. Lovely.