Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 468668 times)

Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #1075 on: 22 June, 2016, 08:24:16 am »
especially considering ml are often abbreviated to mils.
THAT is an awful habit
mils are something else entirely. A thousandth of an inch.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1076 on: 22 June, 2016, 08:34:34 am »
mmol/L vs mg/dL: the conversion factor is 18. Basta.

Anyway, my medical grumble of the day concerns the pleasures of adapting to a higher dose of vasodilators: the slightest effort or even stress sets my heart thumping, not fast but hard, and standing up too fast sets me reeling. 'Tain't no way to run a railroad.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

IJL

« Reply #1077 on: 22 June, 2016, 08:34:34 am »

Or 1/6400th of a circle

« Reply #1078 on: 22 June, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »
1/1000th of a mole is approx two of its front digging claws.
It will suddenly appear from its tunnel and raise those two claws to you.  ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1079 on: 22 June, 2016, 01:01:14 pm »
especially considering ml are often abbreviated to mils.
THAT is an awful habit
It was the fave abbreviation of school biology teacher.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1080 on: 22 June, 2016, 01:36:28 pm »
Easily confused with millimetres.  Better use cc's.

« Reply #1081 on: 22 June, 2016, 03:01:16 pm »
1/1000 of an inch is a ‘thou’.
1/1000 of a millimetre is a Micrometre or ‘Micron’. ( 1/1000000 of a metre )
39.37 microns to the thou.
A device for measuring the diameter of a wire, a sheet of paper or a human hair, is a micrometer.

« Reply #1082 on: 24 June, 2016, 10:51:59 am »
jog jog jog. Hmm doing well, no soreness, I'll do an extra half k.

rip.

that's my achilles-calf muscle join. wtf.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1083 on: 24 June, 2016, 01:15:36 pm »
Oh f**k!
Mend well and fast, mrcharly!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1084 on: 24 June, 2016, 03:55:04 pm »
Ah go on, man, you're a glutton for it.  Mind you, I've come home from a 200 and torn a muscle coming downstairs.

« Reply #1085 on: 24 June, 2016, 03:56:26 pm »
get well soon

And do what the doctors tell you.

It is now one week since my operation and I am using the arm more and more.  2 paracetamol and ibuprofen yesterday.  1 of each today.

Movement is better than expected.  The numbness is weird.  i have told patients about it for years and now I know!

I am due to spend an hour with the physio on monday.  I suspect i am going to be seriously bored and will end up teaching her how to do her job.  The ward physio prior to discharge did not even mention icing the wounds!  I was so shocked I actually pulled rank and commented.

« Reply #1086 on: 24 June, 2016, 04:39:15 pm »
When I did it I thought I'd ripped the tendon. Feeling better today and I can hobble so it must be the muscle - I have no idea why. I was loping along on the flat on a good surface.

I'm starting to wonder if the omeprazole I've been taking for the past 5 years has weakened my connective tissues. Previously I had a reputation as being nearly indestructible. The fall that did my wrist in was minor but did a huge amount of damage, displacing bones, rupturing ligaments. I've been trying jogging and I'm struggling to get over 3.5km without tendon strain; yes I have done any running for years, I'm an experienced runner and used to rebuilding toughness and fitness.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1087 on: 24 June, 2016, 06:38:57 pm »
I am now being treated for a viral skin infection caused by the cathier. Antibiotics and fusiliers acid and cream  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1088 on: 24 June, 2016, 07:43:26 pm »
Oof! You deserve some health sometime soon surely.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1089 on: 25 June, 2016, 07:13:19 am »
It's not been the best year health wise so far as but there are people on here with much worse to contend with. I do not cope with pain very well and I am a little depressed at the moment. On the bright side the sun is shining this morning and my son is here this weekend. Get better soon everyone  :)
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1090 on: 25 June, 2016, 07:33:38 am »
When I did it I thought I'd ripped the tendon. Feeling better today and I can hobble so it must be the muscle - I have no idea why. I was loping along on the flat on a good surface.

I'm starting to wonder if the omeprazole I've been taking for the past 5 years has weakened my connective tissues. Previously I had a reputation as being nearly indestructible. The fall that did my wrist in was minor but did a huge amount of damage, displacing bones, rupturing ligaments. I've been trying jogging and I'm struggling to get over 3.5km without tendon strain; yes I have done any running for years, I'm an experienced runner and used to rebuilding toughness and fitness.

I've had a real struggle building up from a bout of Achilles tendonitis, from ultramarathon training last year to be struggling at 4k earlier this year was very disheartening.  I've done it slowly and I'm now up to 2 x 7km this week on non-consecutive days.

Are you just trying to ramp it up too quickly?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1091 on: 25 June, 2016, 10:12:44 am »
I've had a real struggle building up from a bout of Achilles tendonitis, from ultramarathon training last year to be struggling at 4k earlier this year was very disheartening.  I've done it slowly and I'm now up to 2 x 7km this week on non-consecutive days.

Are you just trying to ramp it up too quickly?
It's possible - I started with v slow small jog steps for 1km, 2twice a week for two weeks, upped that to 2km. Then got proper shoes and took it to 3.5km and I'm stuck there.

I've taught track and field to a lot of kids along with the personal experience of running. It is possible that I'm expecting to recover too quickly for someone about to turn 50 but this seems extreme. Too many joint injuries from minor events and last year I was ok - I shifted (shovel and wheelbarrow, jogging) 4.5ton of sand in 3hours without soreness in one day. The year before transported about the same amount of broken brick and concrete from a house 100m down the road by barrow, running back with empty barrow. Only slightly sore back.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1092 on: 25 June, 2016, 10:34:31 am »
After a month's pussyfooting around with vasodilatory nostrums** my cardiologist finally got me a date for angioplasty: 7th July into hosp, 8th out. Procedure described as "delicate".  Looking around the house for old belt to clench between teeth.

**and various gentle remarks about Nero, Rome and fiddles.

« Reply #1093 on: 25 June, 2016, 10:46:55 am »
Cystitis. Again.
No 400 for me this weekend. I think I'm up to 3 bouts this year - I really should start keeping a tally.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1094 on: 25 June, 2016, 10:48:38 am »
Get well soon fboab!
Cystitis is a misery...

« Reply #1095 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:06:58 pm »
I've seen the surgeon, 3 nurses and a high-school work experience student. Nice chap (the surgeon).

Surgeon already knew what was wrong, from the last x-ray.

Hospital had cocked up with my wrist. The main fracture in my radius has healed at an angle, putting my whole hand at an angle to my forearm and displacing it relative to the ulna (hence the ulna flapping around in mid air).

The solution is to saw through my radius, cut a wedge shape, graft in some bone from my hip and fix it all in place with plates.

On waiting list for surgery, should take place in 2-3months.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1096 on: 28 June, 2016, 01:56:15 pm »
Was the work experience student nice? I don't suppose they squeaked!

Hope that the planned surgery fixes you well, eventually.
Sorry to hear it's come to this!

« Reply #1097 on: 28 June, 2016, 02:04:13 pm »
WP student looked very earnest and serious. Certain to be a med student, but by 3rd year they'll be a dissolute alcoholic.

The surgeon was very clear that I don't have to go ahead with the surgery, but I can't ever expect any improvement without it. As things are, that means no weight bearing on left wrist, increasing issues and pain, loss of what strength I have and increased frequency of ulna dislocations. Never ever riding a drop-barred bike again and only upright bikes with braking on right side.

He's confident that the surgery will fix it but obviously it will have a considerable recovery period.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1098 on: 28 June, 2016, 03:30:39 pm »
Go for it notwithstanding.  When I did my collar-bone in 2002 I was persuaded not to have corrective surgery and I've been plagued by the consequences ever since.

« Reply #1099 on: 28 June, 2016, 04:02:29 pm »
I suspected that was the case from your description.It is a fairly simple operation in good hands and has a relatively guaranteed outcome all other things being equal.  Do be prepared for a long recovery!  I tell my patients that it will take a year to forget about the operation and that it will take 6 months to be 95% back to normal.  take all the painkillers they offer you and stop smoking (if you do).  Certainly in the States many surgeons now will not do the surgery if you are an active smoker.

Good luck