Author Topic: Shimano nexus hubs from an ofo bike  (Read 1047 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Shimano nexus hubs from an ofo bike
« on: 14 February, 2020, 01:55:32 pm »
Have 'found' an ofo bike that has seen better days.

Was thinking about stealing the hubs as they are drum front and rear. 

Would I need a special frame or forks to run.

Re: Shimano nexus hubs from an ofo bike
« Reply #1 on: 14 February, 2020, 05:31:27 pm »
usually not; like SA drum brakes the brake arms on roller brakes can be secured using band-on clips, to pretty much any standard utility spec  frame meant for rim brakes.

You do need to be 100% sure that the bands are secure though; I've seen what happens when they are not and it ain't pretty.

cheers

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 14 February, 2020, 06:20:21 pm »
usually not; like SA drum brakes the brake arms on roller brakes can be secured using band-on clips, to pretty much any standard utility spec  frame meant for rim brakes.

You do need to be 100% sure that the bands are secure though; I've seen what happens when they are not and it ain't pretty.

cheers

Was going to attach with stainless jubilee clips.

« Reply #3 on: 14 February, 2020, 07:19:16 pm »
Sturmey Archer clips are not expensive and  will work with the Shimano brakes (as of course will shimano clips if you can buy them).

For example

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/sturmey-archer-brake-arm-clip-78-inch-hsl703/

is to fit front forks which are 7/8" dia and

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/sturmey-archer-brake-arm-clip-58-inch-hcb101/

is to fit chainstays 5/8" dia. 

Both clips are infinitely superior to jubilee clips; the front has a slot for the tang on the brake arm (which allows easy wheel removal without having to disturb the clip) and the rear clip is both captive on the chainstay  and is bolted to the rear brake arm, having a separate bolt for each function. There are other sizes here

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sturmey-archer-hub-gear-spares/?price=0%2D9&page=3

The only thing that I don't like about these clips is that they are plated rather than being made in an inherently corrosion resistant material. In practice the front clip sees little road dirt and lasts, but the rear clip will usually corrode a bit after a few years.

Using Jubilee clips can work Ok but it can force the brake arm to be badly aligned (meaning the brake will both drag and not work properly) and it of course also carries a risk that the brake comes adrift when you are trying to use it. On the latter point it is a risk/consequence thing; not only are you likely to come off the bike in the event of trouble (the brake usually jams on and then gets carried round with the turning wheel) but to add insult to injury the brake is usually wrecked too, whether it is a roller brake or a coaster brake at the back.  If a coaster brake jams on and turns with the wheel, it can wreck the whole hub.

cheers