Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286534 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #975 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:04:33 pm »
TBH that hedge doesn't look so bad to me. It is at least in one vertical line. It's a rare hedge that grows so neatly on private property. Wheelie bins are another problem.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #976 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »
Yeah, the problem of the hedge is mainly that it hurts when you're forced into it by the crowded conditions.

Don't get me started on wheelie bins...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #977 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:54:32 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #978 on: 15 December, 2017, 10:18:17 pm »
Seems not uncommon for pricy basement flats to get this treatment.

Don't think it's that long since the last...

« Reply #979 on: 16 December, 2017, 01:08:48 am »
How many basement flats include parking?

« Reply #980 on: 16 December, 2017, 09:47:15 am »

Not driving on the pavement though, so that's alright, isn't it.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/15/driver-arrested-mercedes-wedged-upright-london-street

A tipper truck did that a couple of years ago, with it's load ending up in the cab. The driver was very lucky to escape.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #981 on: 16 December, 2017, 10:10:38 pm »

You can see the estate agent blurb -
'Cosy basement flat; centrally located
own off-street basement parking.'

£1,000,000 Zillion

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #982 on: 19 December, 2017, 09:05:54 am »
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/outrage-anti-bird-spikes-fitted-943672
A resident of the flats, who asked not to be named, said: "The spikes are solely to protect the cars, there is no other reason.

"There is a big problem with bird droppings around here. They can really make a mess of cars, and for some reason they [the birds] do seem to congregate around this area."

The resident conceded that some might view the practice as cruel but said there are were many more trees nearby for birds to roost and nest in.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #983 on: 06 February, 2018, 11:57:12 am »

Council put bollards up to stop people parking on this grass verge, trapping a car which was parked there at the time.
A check of the DVLA database shows the car is MOT’d until May but its tax ran out in August 2017.
Which is presumably why they left it there.
A Bristol City Council spokesperson said:...

“We suspect this vehicle has been abandoned for some time and as a result we have reported it to the police and DVLA so it can be removed. We are in contact with our contractors to temporarily remove the bollards so the vehicle can be removed safely as soon as possible.”
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/car-trapped-grass-verge-after-1169217

I think some of the locals will be having a bonfire.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #984 on: 09 March, 2018, 12:06:08 pm »
This is appearing in your local paper soon: https://www.eta.co.uk/2018/01/10/catclaw-tackles-illegal-and-dangerous-pavement-parking-by-bursting-car-tyre/
(The comments in the Bristlepost were mostly surprisingly sensible, "Enforcing the laws would be a better start")

« Reply #985 on: 18 March, 2018, 06:11:09 am »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #986 on: 07 May, 2018, 01:59:04 pm »
From my Twitter feed...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #987 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:34:19 pm »
I forgot to post this here.  Hot weather brings out the worst in Brummie moton entitlement: https://twitter.com/PeterSmallbone/status/993168882671157250

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #988 on: 10 May, 2018, 02:03:06 pm »
This past Monday saw plenty of fuds in Hyde Park.  For a moment I thought West Carriage Drive had been turned into a car park, but it was just doing a great impression of the M25.  There was still plenty of fuddish parking on the pavements around the proper car parks.  If only London had a system of buses and trains people could use to reach parks, especially those in the centre of town, so visitors could leave their motor vehicles at home.  One can only dream...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
« Reply #989 on: 22 May, 2018, 06:54:19 am »
this is quite special ! Talbot Green in South Wales - so not the cycle flow of , say Copenhagen at rush hour

the blue car is parked behind the black one concealing a meaningless Sustrans traffic island.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #990 on: 30 May, 2018, 08:43:43 pm »
On the pavement? Check.
On double yellow lines? Check.
Plenty of available legal places to park nearby? Check.
Engine running? Check.
On the phone? Check.

Fud?

IMG_0816_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

« Reply #991 on: 30 May, 2018, 08:56:32 pm »
I think you could have 'parked within 10m of a junction' as well for a bonus.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #992 on: 31 May, 2018, 07:57:13 am »
But if the driver's still in it and the engine's going it's not parked but merely halted. Dunno about UK, but in Germany at least you're allowed a 3-minute halt anywhere.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #993 on: 31 May, 2018, 10:33:19 am »
Except to drop off or pick up passengers, I think.

« Reply #994 on: 31 May, 2018, 10:37:27 am »
Red routes exclude drop off, except in marked zones

« Reply #995 on: 31 May, 2018, 05:20:25 pm »
But if the driver's still in it and the engine's going it's not parked but merely halted. Dunno about UK, but in Germany at least you're allowed a 3-minute halt anywhere.

and in France, being merely halted like that but not properly parked on a legal parking spot means using your phone is still a serious offence  ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #996 on: 01 June, 2018, 04:42:09 pm »
I am not a motorist.
My understanding is there are two static car entities: ' 'Waiting' ie parking and 'loading'.

Loading may be allowed when parking is not. Parking restrictions are indicated by kerbside yellow lines and loading restrictions by yellow marks on the kerb edge.

An empty, closed car is waiting, an occupied or open car might be loading.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #997 on: 02 June, 2018, 08:36:10 am »
^^^ and delivering. The excuse of the gent who swerved from the other side of the road to stop some way in front of me with half his van on the pavement yesterday. He had his "Livraison" sign taped to the windscreen as evidence.  I had to stop and wait for a gap in the traffic so that I could get round him.

---o0o---

Highway code rule 238: Double yellow lines indicate a prohibition of waiting at any time.

Had forgotten that - last time I drove in the UK was in 1985. We don't have them here.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #998 on: 02 June, 2018, 10:35:51 am »
Our very own redfalo is Tweeting some prime fuddishness in Frankfurt.

ian

« Reply #999 on: 05 June, 2018, 12:37:25 pm »
That's really nothing compared to Surrey in merry old England (I'll admit Parisian parking is often something to behold).

I came back to a notice stuck outside from the council about a parking review which finally proposes a double-yellow on the t-junction of the lanes outside our house (quite obviously the most stupid place to park*, though a small number of drivers seem not to notice the evidence of their own stupidity). Not that the council enforces double-yellows but it saves me and the neighbours putting out our own 'no parking' signs for drivers to ignore...

*seriously, it's a narrow t-junction at the top of a 25% hill, parking there means zero visibility for any vehicles trying to come around the corner, forces any pedestrians into the same situation, and prevents any large vehicles getting around the corner, even without people parking there, I have sizeable collection of wing mirrors.