Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1603059 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #17400 on: Yesterday at 01:46:26 pm »
Open plan office: Good for collaboration, teamwork and bouncing ideas.

Open plan office with PEOPLE WHO TALK SO LOUDLY: Bad and makes me grumpy.
Hearing aid off switch for the win.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #17401 on: Yesterday at 04:13:35 pm »
Open plan office: Good for collaboration, teamwork and bouncing ideas.

Open plan office with PEOPLE WHO TALK SO LOUDLY: Bad and makes me grumpy.

But only for extroverts who don't get embarrassed at the sound of their own voices.  For those of us who are rather self-conscious, it inhibits communication. A small room with a couple of others is far more conducive to sharing ideas.

You can tell I've done a lot of thinking about this over the past 12 years, can't you?  :'(
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #17402 on: Yesterday at 05:56:21 pm »
Bought a supposedly unmarked and unused Epiphone SG guitar from the Bay of Thieves, since I have time to play again.  I do have a Tele that I built myself from mainly Warmoth parts many years ago (it cost more to build than just buying a Fender USA one, when it was all done) but I fancied a cheap one for messing around on.

It would be beautiful except that it has a massive bash on the body  :facepalm:  It wasn't very well wrapped but that's not my problem.
And...
eBay has generated a 2kg Royal Mail return label  :facepalm:

I am NOT posting it back at my own expense.  The last time I did that, I never got all the money back from the seller.  A retailer of vintage bikes in Oxfordshire, in case you were wondering, and they'd sent me a frame resprayed and decalled as something it wasn't.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #17403 on: Yesterday at 08:51:19 pm »
<sigh>
The central heating boiler has disgraced itself again, leaving a great wet puddle on the floor.

Got up this morning and thought it was a bit chilly.
Hmm, no heat.
Look at heating timeclock. No lights on, and no display.
Go to meter cupboard, look at consumer unit. Circuit RCBO tripped. Hmm.
Switch it back on. It stays on, and does not trip again. Good.
Still no heats.

Down to the garage where the boiler lives, to be met with a puddle on the floor.
That's not good.
Zero pressure on the gauge, so that's why the boiler is not firing up.
Experimentally open the fill loop to pressure it back up.
Water pisses everywhere out of the boiler.
Stop that right away.

I have a maintenance contract with BG for exactly this eventuality.
They have availability today!
And they turn up!

Primary fault is the main pressure sensor on the water loop has literally burst apart, spraying the entire inside of the boiler with water.
This is replaced, curing the water leak, but it won't power up.
New PCB installed.
Still won't power up.
Looks like something else has gotten wet, and is not happy.
So he's gone away and will come back tomorrow with some more PCBs, a fan, pump, and HV Spark Igniter.

Bah.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17404 on: Today at 09:23:32 am »
Trying to enter the details of my career on a pensions site; modified one entry and the whole bloody lot disappeared.  Now I've got set-your-teeth-on-edge hold music quacking away for "at least 5 minutes" and making it impossible to do anything in the meantime.

ETA: Surprise, surprise, it's back again.  Except that it now only includes the periods of employment that this nest of miserable screw-ups already had before I started adding the missing ones ten days ago. Shit and damnation be upon their heads.  I have had 11 different jobs and they've only got 5, covering about 7 years out of 45 and two of theirs overlap so one or both are wrong.

And there's a note on their website saying that they'd be doing maintenance from 07:00 to 08:30 this morning.  I suppose that consisted of restoring their database from an out-of-date backup.

Think I'll bale out until tomorrow, when there's a slim chance their system will be stable.

ETAA: It's not all negative: I've found some hair long enough to tear out. Wish it was theirs.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #17405 on: Today at 10:48:41 am »
R*yal Mail fail. 
Important docs arranged to be sent to me "Signed-For".  Postie just delivered envelope through our letter box.  I heard this, went outside and said 'erm, signature required?'.  Postie 'oops there was another letter blocking the signed for bit'...  :facepalm:  So, docs received OK, but post does go astray to other streets on occasions.  Next time I'll insist on Special Delivery as probably a safer bet - you'd hope.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17406 on: Today at 11:11:38 am »
I thought signed for no longer meant a signature? At least IME it's always just been the amazon-type thing of a photo. Been like that since covid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17407 on: Today at 11:32:07 am »
RM Special delivery required a signature of me last week. Rang bell, gave me handheld device to scribble on.  Have seen 'delivery photos' of mysterious unknown doorsteps.  Post pandemic no signature / actual confirmation of delivery to correct addresssee - is pretty useless.

the name and signature we capture will be the person who accepted the parcel. It might not match the name on the address label, and could be a neighbour or other person at the delivery address.

*We take a 'signature on delivery' for these services. However, we don’t provide a copy of the signature to you as part of the service and it’s not available to view online.

What if there’s no-one available to accept a delivery?

We’ll leave a Something for you card. This will explain that we tried to make a delivery.

The recipient can then collect the item from their local Customer Service Point or arrange a Redelivery.

« Reply #17408 on: Today at 11:37:12 am »
Paying for signature/ special delivery /etc doesn’t give your letter any more chance of arriving (and probably never did). It just gives you either reassurance that it did or slightly more recourse if it didn’t.

« Reply #17409 on: Today at 11:39:06 am »
Paying for signature/ special delivery /etc doesn’t give your letter any more chance of arriving (and probably never did). It just gives you either reassurance that it did or slightly more recourse if it didn’t.

Especially if they don't check if anyone's in, & simply post it through the/any letterbox without requiring a signature

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17410 on: Today at 11:43:04 am »
Postman Piers once told me that Special Delivery was worthwhile, as it was processed separately.  Signed-for is just a sticker.

« Reply #17411 on: Today at 11:49:32 am »
Postman Piers once told me that Special Delivery was worthwhile, as it was processed separately.  Signed-for is just a sticker.

Yes.  Not even a sticker for this - just a small direct print "signed-for" with barcode, at top of the envelope.   I'll def use/ask for Special Delivery in future.