Author Topic: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....  (Read 277958 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Heads up! Dr Who starts Saturday....
« Reply #75 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:47:12 am »
"Friends of the Ood"  - loving it  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #76 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:51:18 am »
That big brain looked kinda comfy.

But who originally created the Ood, then?  There's no way a species that crap could come into being naturally!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #77 on: 21 April, 2008, 11:56:15 am »
BBC 7 have dvd style commentaries online for the Dr Who episodes. It's worth listening to them in real audio, as you watch the episode in iPlayer. You realise what a tiny budget they deal with. They only have something like 10 Ood costumes...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #78 on: 21 April, 2008, 01:02:29 pm »
That big brain looked kinda comfy.

But who originally created the Ood, then?  There's no way a species that crap could come into being naturally!

Well, if they only come from the Oodsphere, perhaps all life on that planet evolved into Oods, or perhaps the non-Oods got bored and went elsewhere.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

gonzo

« Reply #79 on: 26 April, 2008, 09:34:16 pm »
Right, I'm utterly bored with Dr Who as it's simply not as good as Torchwood; the script writers have got carried away with doing silly things plus they do lots of 2-parters which I really dislike.

There is, however, one episode that I would like to watch. The guy who wrote blink (statues that send people back in time), the empty child and the one in ye olde France; his episodes have been a notch above the rest. When is 'his' episode on this series does anyone know?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #80 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:27:06 pm »
Pass, but I do like the Grumpy Clone Martha.   :-*
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #81 on: 26 April, 2008, 10:32:35 pm »
Right, I'm utterly bored with Dr Who as it's simply not as good as Torchwood

Different target audience.  You are the Torchwood generation.

Si

« Reply #82 on: 27 April, 2008, 04:57:43 pm »
Are there budget troubles?  The sontarans seem to have, erm, shrunk!

But there again, with a neckid Martha, dripping in warm cloning juice....who's going to be watching the spud-'eds?

border-rider

« Reply #83 on: 27 April, 2008, 05:00:17 pm »

Starring role for Mike from the Young Ones.  He's a shorty.

Martin

« Reply #84 on: 27 April, 2008, 05:13:49 pm »
you gotta love TV / film aliens; Human body, Human clothes

and a funny head.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #85 on: 27 April, 2008, 05:37:26 pm »
... a neckid Martha, dripping in warm cloning juice...
Erm, yes, sorry about that.
IGMC = I'll get my cloth.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #86 on: 27 April, 2008, 06:33:13 pm »
I liked that last night. I laughed a lot at the Doctor's remarks about UNIT being more high-tec than it was when he was last there in the 70s (when he was Tom Baker). And I was glad to see Donna being useful, and I liked the chat between her and Martha, and I liked the Doctor getting all upset when she said she wasn't going with him.

But I did wonder why they didn't just smash the car window to get Bernard Cribbins out.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #87 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:43:36 am »

Starring role for Mike from the Young Ones.  He's a shorty.
Well bu99er me - thank you MV.  I've endured 2 days of "I KNOW that voice, but I'm sure he wasn't playing a Sultanan last time ... ". I even read the credits without recognising Christopher Ryan <shame> .

Good to see he's still finding work.

[Actually I felt the height thing was a sort of tolkein dwarvish thing - shortish, stocky warrior types.]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #88 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:50:37 am »
you gotta love TV / film aliens; Human body, Human clothes

and a funny head.

You thinking of Farscape by any chance?  It was obvious in that they had spent so much on one or two Henson's puppets that all the rest of the aliens needed to be humanoid with strange makeup (see the grey Hazel O'Connor clone for ref.)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #89 on: 10 May, 2008, 11:29:25 pm »
I thought tonight's episode was rubbish, apart from Donna who was great. It had spin-off series written all over it and it was boring, derivative and dull. Nice to see the Sussex quarries getting a look in though.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #90 on: 11 May, 2008, 11:20:20 am »
Funny think though is that the daughter didn't change form (face) when she regenerated just like the Doctor do.

Prolly because the actor playing her do not have a contract else where yet :) 
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #91 on: 11 May, 2008, 12:10:32 pm »
Funny think though is that the daughter didn't change form (face) when she regenerated just like the Doctor do. ...

It's possible that she didn't actually regenerate.  The Doctor has previously survived his body being pretty badly abused (not unlike many other characters in TV and Film!), so it may just be that Jenny's Timelord body is more able to survive damage before requiring the ultimate recovery of regeneration.

I've got to agree with Kirst though, it wasn't much of an episode.

(It's interesting to see that Georgia Moffett is professionally using the surname that here father had to change to avoid confusion with another actor/director).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #92 on: 11 May, 2008, 12:16:42 pm »
Oh yes, in David Tennant's first episode where he got his hand cut off, he regrew it because it was within 12 hours of his regeneration. If we can accept that the daughter's creation counts as a generation in regenerating terms, she was shot within 12 hours so maybe her insides repaired themselves.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #93 on: 11 May, 2008, 12:36:15 pm »
I thought tonight's episode was rubbish, apart from Donna who was great. It had spin-off series written all over it and it was boring, derivative and dull. Nice to see the Sussex quarries getting a look in though.
I liked it.  Not for the acting or script, but for the welcome re-introduction of blonde eye-candy. In a tight T-shirt.
(Shallow, Moi?)
And was the final showdown scene filmed inside the Eden Project?  I missed the end of "Dr Who Confidential" last night, so I don't know if they explained that bit.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #94 on: 11 May, 2008, 02:01:26 pm »
It looked like Kew Gardens to me.

oh, and I think I'm shallow too...  ;D ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:36:50 am »
Well I thought it was just what a Dr Who episode should be.  A great self-contained story with goodies, baddies and aliens who were, in fact, heroic and friendly.  Lots of jokes and plenty of running (it's all about the running, isn't it?).

Better than that, there was a strong anti-violence theme going through the story which I really liked.  The Doctor made it quite clear how much he disliked weapons and I thought that this was a brilliant way of educating kids against pointless gang disputes.

Oh - and the eye candy.  We liked the eye candy  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #96 on: 12 May, 2008, 10:47:16 am »
^^^ Wot she said. It was also a great way of picking up a bit more about the doctor. I loved the change in his feelings towards her and he realised that she was actually like him, and the fact that she could argue her point with him lol.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #97 on: 12 May, 2008, 12:25:03 pm »
They should have just cloned lots more of the Dr, it's not as if it was difficult.

When will people learn not to create laser grids that people can just somersault through...

« Reply #98 on: 12 May, 2008, 01:24:49 pm »
They should have just cloned lots more of the Dr, it's not as if it was difficult.

When will people learn not to create laser grids that people can just somersault through...

They solved that problem in <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/v8b3vnjCLPo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/v8b3vnjCLPo&rel=1</a>
Actually, it is rocket science.

Si

« Reply #99 on: 12 May, 2008, 02:07:28 pm »
Martha got covered in something sticky and guey again  :thumbsup:

But, back to the plot, I enjoyed the episode, it wasn't a classic but it was entertaining and possibly the best of the season so far.