Author Topic: Tyneside Vagabonds ‘Longer’ Audax Events – July to August 2021  (Read 720 times)

We have a few events of 300km and over coming up. I’m sure you’re all aware of the current position regarding COVID and have probably seen various announcements from both the English and Scottish Government about possible plans and when things may change. There’s still obviously quite a bit of uncertainty but I appreciate some may be considering entering some of the events. If this helps anyone with planning here’s the intended plan for forthcoming 300, 400 and 600km events.

They are all subject to change and any restrictions or guidance which applies at the time.

Saturday 17 July – Solway Coast C2C2C 300km – Expected to go ahead as planned, with some limited event support but not indoors – it seemed to work very well on the first running on 12 June.

Saturday 24 July – There are two 400km events planned
1.   Annan Other Borders 400km, starting in Ponteland. The intended route does a clockwise loop through Northumberland and the Scottish Borders. If there are restrictions that prevent travel into Scotland there is an alternative plan to amend the route so it doesn’t cross the border into Scotland. The travel restrictions currently don’t apply to the North East but there are areas of the North East where the Delta Variant is known to be spreading quickly.
2.   Gretna Getaway, starting in Gretna, just over the Scottish Border. The event is wholly in Scotland. So as long as travel to the start is permitted it shouldn't be an issue.
Numbers will be strictly limited to each event but if we get to the scenario where it is not possible to travel across the Border or from certain areas across the Border we should be able to offer all entrants an option to start at least one of the events. I hope this makes sense, it hopefully means both events can go ahead and you would be able to ride at least one of them. Both events are planned as X-rated with no event facilities but will have 24 hour options towards the latter stages of the ride

Saturday 7 August – Tour of the Borders and Galloway 600km – The event is currently planned to start in Carlisle, the vast majority of the event is in Scotland. If crossing the Border becomes an issue there is an option to move the event start into Scotland with only a minor amendment to the route. At present the event is planned as a X-rated event with no event facilities, more details on the event page. I’m hoping that by early August things have significantly improved but there is a back-up plan but this won't include a 600 in England.
Hope this helps, any queries please contact me.
Andy