Author Topic: ACME Christmas Permanents  (Read 6499 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Christmas Permanents
« Reply #25 on: 27 November, 2021, 09:34:17 am »
I've been to Paradise ... they're open Christmas Eve as normal, from 07:00. Assuming the weather is ok, we'll meet for breakfast around 09:00, leaving at 10:00. Maglia Rosso say they're closing early, at 14:00, but we should be ok for lunch there around 13:00.

Regarding the Hopstock DIY on 29th, it's been pointed out the Compasses closes after lunch and won't be open until 17:00. We'll go with a 10:00 start, and 8-ish hours for the 114km ride. (Min. dist. - mandatory route will be a bit more -that's assuming 14.3kph for those on a 200km DIY, 12.5 for a BP brevet allows more than 9!) That should make time for a good lunch break of an hour or more? There's always the chance of a cheeky pub stop on the way back - right on the route there's the Three Horseshoes at Spellbrook which should be open all day. It's more a restaurant than a pub, but does have a fair sized bar area with no booking needed. (Yes, we called in there last weekend to check ... I'm not just throwing this together!)

« Reply #26 on: 06 December, 2021, 04:10:50 pm »
I've booked my breakfast for 9am on 29th December at The Compasses. I'm the only person booked so far ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #27 on: 09 December, 2021, 11:55:20 am »
The destination cafe on 29th December has had a burglary ... £50k worth of bikes stolen. The news article suggests the cafe will remain open as normal, but they have cancelled their end of season cycle event.

https://road.cc/content/news/bikes-worth-ps50k-stolen-herts-workshop-and-cafe-288497

« Reply #28 on: 09 December, 2021, 01:03:06 pm »
I had just seen that.  There are some right scrotes about!  Article says the police have leads to follow, I hope the catch them soon and recover the bikes.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: 13 December, 2021, 04:58:32 pm »
Booked my Compasses breakfast for 09:00 on 29th December.  :thumbsup:

Re: 24th, I'll be riding a Richard Ellis 100km, reversed, and hope to meet up with any doing a longer DIY at Paradise in Dunmow around 09:00. If anyone else is doing the REM brevet they can sign in 'on-the-line' with a pre-filled in entry form (though I'll bring spares just in case). I can of course be a roving controller, unless we part company, when conventional proof of passage will be needed. Afterwards, I'll most likely head to the Angel and Harp for a Christmas Eve drink, but am on family cooking duties later.

« Reply #30 on: 13 December, 2021, 05:36:13 pm »
I’m still planning on riding on the 24th. I can’t find the route online though … acme.bike has it listed, but the link goes to the calendar page on audax.uk, and the route isn’t on camaudax. Is there a special place where it might be found?

« Reply #31 on: 13 December, 2021, 08:02:30 pm »
I have permission from the boss, to ride both days on the strict condition that I get all my essential Christmas chores done on the afternoon / evening of the 23rd.  I doubt I will be breakfasting on the 29th, but can meet you at Littley Green just before 10am?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: 13 December, 2021, 08:33:34 pm »
I have permission from the boss, to ride both days on the strict condition that I get all my essential Christmas chores done on the afternoon / evening of the 23rd.  I doubt I will be breakfasting on the 29th, but can meet you at Littley Green just before 10am?

:thumbsup: I'll be doing the headless chicken on 23rd too!

I’m still planning on riding on the 24th. I can’t find the route online though … acme.bike has it listed, but the link goes to the calendar page on audax.uk, and the route isn’t on camaudax. Is there a special place where it might be found?

Wilkyboy should have the REM 100 track, but I was intending riding reversed, as posted earlier, ie: Dunmow, Finchingfield, Stambourne, Ridgewell, Clare, Poslingford, Stansfield (where 1st R, Thurston Lane, 'cos it's a fave route, only a fraction of a K further) to Hawkeden, Rede, Whepstead, Maglia Rosso Hawstead, Boxted, Glemsford, Cavendish, Belchamp St Paul, Great Yeldham, Finchingfield, Dunmow. (Perm. brevet controls.)

« Reply #33 on: 13 December, 2021, 08:42:28 pm »
REM 100 by Wilkyboy is here even if not on cam audax

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37526849

« Reply #34 on: 14 December, 2021, 05:50:51 am »
REM 100 by Wilkyboy is here even if not on cam audax

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/37526849

Thanks Phil. It even goes to the same places as Tomsk describes. Just need to check if it goes in the same direction when I get on the big computer, something I can’t work out how to do when on the app. A simple ‘reverse’ will sort it if it’s not going the intended way.

EDIT: a reverse was needed, just discovered

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 14 December, 2021, 05:05:37 pm »
Just had a reminder from Dee to let the Compasses know if you want breakfast on 29th asap. Even if undecided re:forecast etc, an indication of numbers would help. Remember it's the final MEMWNS of the year that day too, so come and join in the Full Fat Festivities!

« Reply #36 on: 15 December, 2021, 05:25:48 pm »
I'll ride over to get there 20 mins before the depart.

Is that expected to be 10am?

And what is the route - the REM in reverse?

« Reply #37 on: 16 December, 2021, 11:45:32 am »
Planning to join you on the 29th - I'll be at Compasses for 10am. Not sure about my full route on the day as full 240km round ECE trip may be a bit heavy after Christmas...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 16 December, 2021, 05:27:19 pm »
I'll ride over to get there 20 mins before the depart.

Is that expected to be 10am?

And what is the route - the REM in reverse?

Yes, REM 100 reversed - see above for a summary. If you just want to do a standard paper brevet with conventional P-O-P, then that frees you from the tyranny of mandatory route DIY by GPS and you can go via whatever way you like!

« Reply #39 on: 16 December, 2021, 05:39:47 pm »
That's the 24th route I think? What's the 29th route?

« Reply #40 on: 16 December, 2021, 05:50:31 pm »

« Reply #41 on: 16 December, 2021, 06:17:38 pm »
That's the 24th route I think? What's the 29th route?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38111783

If you were riding the Spokes end after dark I’d route via Pottersheath.   There’s a fantastic Christmas light display in aid of air ambulance.  The owners let you wander round it. It gets more impressive year on year. Santa, reminder, elves, polar bears, a nativity. All sorts of stuff.

« Reply #42 on: 16 December, 2021, 07:02:06 pm »
If you were riding the Spokes end after dark I’d route via Pottersheath. 

We’re there for lunch, so unless the apocalypse arrives unexpectedly, it’ll be quite light!

If I’m across there at another time, I’ll look out for it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 20 December, 2021, 07:20:55 pm »
To summarise the plans:

Friday 24th December, Richard Ellis Memorial 100km: Meet at 'Paradise' cafe, Dunmow for breakfast around 09:00, leaving 10:00 on a 100km Reversed REM permanent, or your own DIY incorporating the route (summarised above, gps links too). Lunch at the Maglia Rosso, Hawstead, returning to Dunmow around dusk (16:00-17:00), maybe time for a cheeky Christmas drink at the Angel and Harp? (Yes, theologically speaking I know we should really be ending up in Paradise ...) There's a marquee at the A&H if you don't fancy going indoors - the MR has a roofed, but opensided seating section too - bring your lockdown jackets?

Wednesday 29th December, Hopstock 110km: Meet at the Compasses, Littley Green for breakfast from 09:00 - let them know if you're wanting to eat there: compasseslittleygreen@googlemail.com A 10:00 start and lunch at the far end of the 'Hopstock' 110+km route at 'Spoke' cafe, Codicote (also see above for route details). Back at the Compasses after 17:00 (when they re-open) for a meal and drinks as required. Again, can be your own DIY that dovetails with the basic Hopstock route.

« Reply #44 on: 21 December, 2021, 08:14:49 am »
So the otherwise delightful French have kiboshed the family skiing trip. Two very upset kids but first-world-problems and all that.
Won't be allowed out Christmas Eve (someone has to be in charge of the family-carols-and-jogging-round-village-mulled-wine-fest). Will work on the 29th.
Turn, turn, turn again
Turn, turn to the rain
And the wind

« Reply #45 on: 21 December, 2021, 04:11:19 pm »
Weather is looking quite good for Friday. I've shelved plans to extend up to 200km, and will just ride to/from Dunmow on top of the REM-R.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 21 December, 2021, 08:34:11 pm »
Weather is looking quite good for Friday. I've shelved plans to extend up to 200km, and will just ride to/from Dunmow on top of the REM-R.

:thumbsup: Not perfect weather, maybe some rain later, but hey, it's December. Just getting out will be good.

felstedrider

« Reply #47 on: 23 December, 2021, 02:47:32 pm »

:thumbsup: Not perfect weather, maybe some rain later, but hey, it's December. Just getting out will be good.

I need to be at my screen until Midday but will set off then.   I will follow the route in reverse (well, the proper way, but you know what I mean) and try to catch the group as you are heading back.

I was jabbed yesterday but feel OK.    (If anyone is interested there are walk ins available at Chelmsford racecourse and it was empty about 4pm).

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: 23 December, 2021, 03:31:25 pm »
 :thumbsup:

I need to be at my screen until Midday but will set off then.   I will follow the route in reverse (well, the proper way, but you know what I mean) and try to catch the group as you are heading back.

I was jabbed yesterday but feel OK.    (If anyone is interested there are walk ins available at Chelmsford racecourse and it was empty about 4pm).

Re: tomorrow - I've heard from Sonia at the MR cafe today & they're unlikely to have hot food on by the time we get there: coffee, sandwich and cake will have to do ... looks like maybe 4-5 of us out?

« Reply #49 on: 23 December, 2021, 03:47:01 pm »
Re: tomorrow - I've heard from Sonia at the MR cafe today & they're unlikely to have hot food on by the time we get there

Maybe we could ride slower  ;D

It's only 50km back from there, so sandwich/cake is fine for me if hot food not ready.