Author Topic: Saffron Walden Winter Series 2021 (Essex)  (Read 3623 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Saffron Walden Winter Series 2021 (Essex)
« on: 23 November, 2021, 04:07:31 am »
It has taken a while after an aborted start this time last year: here are the first two instalments of the new Saffron Walden Winter Series:

28 November — The Red Penny Ride 100 from Saffron Walden — an across-the-grain run to Maglia Rosso.

19 December — The Easter Stocking Filler 100 from Saffron Walden — a loop to The Snug in High Easter just before Christmas.

SWWS is a Sunday series (SWSWS?), interleaved with the ACME Anvil Winter [Saturday] Series, to offer new 100km ECE-able routes from Saffron Walden, north Essex, and additional opportunity to ride over winter.  Also planning events on 30 January and 20 or 27 February, before we get back to The Cambridge Pork Pie on 19 March 2022.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Re: Saffron Walden Winter Series 2021 (Essex)
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2021, 07:47:30 am »
Entry sent.  Looking forward to this. Weather forecast so far is looking dry, but with a distinct nip in the air.

« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:25:57 pm »
Didn't you mention some Christmas and Easter rides? I've just noticed that Cold Christmas, close to Ware, is a bit nearer than Christmas Common, if that's any help? :D

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #3 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:40:46 pm »
Didn't you mention some Christmas and Easter rides? I've just noticed that Cold Christmas, close to Ware, is a bit nearer than Christmas Common, if that's any help? :D

Easter Stocking Filler 100 on 19th December  :thumbsup:

felstedrider

« Reply #4 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:45:14 pm »

Entered.  If I ECE there’ll be a bit of yo-yoing going on. 

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #5 on: 27 November, 2021, 01:47:14 pm »

Reminds me of ECEing Hereward the Wake when I lived in Cambridge  ;)

« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2021, 05:27:50 pm »

Ditto.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #7 on: 27 November, 2021, 08:03:59 pm »
Hmmm.  The Snug is only 3 miles from my door, less if I take tracks and byways.  Might be the only chance I get to eat there having earned the calories first.

« Reply #8 on: 27 November, 2021, 10:47:21 pm »
Damn, just seen this & left it too late to enter for tomorrow ;(.  Maybe next year instead! 

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #9 on: 27 November, 2021, 10:48:14 pm »
Damn, just seen this & left it too late to enter for tomorrow ;(.  Maybe next year instead!

Email me now — a couple of spare brevets.

« Reply #10 on: 27 November, 2021, 10:50:43 pm »
Whoop!  Laptop booting!  🤣

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #11 on: 27 November, 2021, 10:51:28 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #12 on: 28 November, 2021, 06:12:30 pm »
Well that was very cold and a little breezy with a few patches of ice on the roads but still a very enjoyable day.  I was definitely ready for a warm drink and a hot shower by the time I got home.  Thanks to Wilkyboy for organising.

« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:36:02 am »

Email me now — a couple of spare brevets.

I've not ridden much at all recently and only entering at 11pm the night before left me a little unprepared :) It was only by the first info did I realise that only bringing 2 bananas for sustenance may have been a 'optimistic' given the temperatures and my fitness  ::-)  I cracked open the emergency rations & longed for the slice of Christmas cake that I'd left in the car  :facepalm:

It was indeed cold, a few stretches of ice put me in 'super cautious descending mode' LWaB was on one of the trikes - probably a good choice!  However, the day was thoroughly enjoyable - seeing a few people out on the road, along with a full - but not too full cafe stop half way.  Jacket potato & some tea hit the spot and gave me enough to keep going.  I got back just as it got dark, in reality I didn't warm up until about 1 hour into teh dive home.  I've never loved heated seats & steering wheel quite so much!

Thanks Nick for organising, I'll be back for more!

This was one of the more sheltered patches at 2pm:

« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2021, 11:01:41 am »
I am glad I made the effort yesterday, one of 14 riders apparently. I saw no snow or ice between Buckingham and Saffron, and only a dusting up towards Maglio Rosso, where a full breakfast was consumed.
I then became aware that not only had my temperature dropped, but also the roads and fields were covered in snow and ice, distinctly uncomfortable for those first few miles through Whepstead. Also forgot how many Stradishall/ Cowlinge turns I had taken, ended up going through 50 metres of flood water and joined the A143 well below the prison. Then on the climb before the Steventon descent my front light ran out of power, and my power pack for my backup was all sticky, as if it had leaked. Anyway, I carry a power pack and plugged it into the light, rode up the hill in the dark, and half way down checked to see what I had, which was enough to get me back to Nick's house and back to the car.

Instead of McDs I went for a more healthy option involving chicken salad and coffee, on reaching Milton Keynes it had snowed heavily, so through four counties, four different experiences.

On to next week, back to Essex again   

« Reply #15 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:35:34 pm »
I feel suitably abashed. I'm thinking twice about riding to some of these near-Essex events from North Herts. You probably rode past here :-[

« Reply #16 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:30:29 pm »
Drossall - do not feel inadequate, I was driving from Buckingham!

« Reply #17 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:30:15 pm »
Nick does have a habit of picking the coldest days for his rides,  ::-) Beats from the East a couple of years back if I recall was also one of his rides. Glad everyone enjoyed it

« Reply #18 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:33:02 pm »
Otherwise he picks days when storm force winds are forecast. If lucky you’ll get a full house of weather.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #19 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:51:17 pm »
We've had a few.  Possibly more than our fair share  ;D

felstedrider

« Reply #20 on: 14 December, 2021, 12:52:07 pm »

Reminds me of ECEing Hereward the Wake when I lived in Cambridge  ;)

High Easter 3 times in a day.

Goes past my front door on the way to lunch.   Could be a good or a bad thing.

« Reply #21 on: 14 December, 2021, 01:37:41 pm »

Well given your history...

Just after the info control that wasn’t I had a front spoke ping.  The wheel still spun and I was 5k from home so a detour ensued to nick a wheel off the other fixed bike and have a quick snack.

« Reply #22 on: 14 December, 2021, 02:49:43 pm »
I've got 2 ECE routes mapped. Having encountered quite icy condition last Saturday early morning on a DIY, I'm prepared this time with a more gritted route if required ... but temps look quite reasonable for this coming Sunday.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

felstedrider

« Reply #23 on: 14 December, 2021, 03:48:31 pm »

Well given your history...

Just after the info control that wasn’t I had a front spoke ping.  The wheel still spun and I was 5k from home so a detour ensued to nick a wheel off the other fixed bike and have a quick snack.

That wheel is being rebuilt after inspection showed an issue with the original build.   I have swapped to my other fixed for now which is almost identical but feels a bit more lively.

Turns out there's no-one else at home on Sunday so I can take or leave heading home for food.  Will see how the mood takes me. 

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #24 on: 14 December, 2021, 03:49:49 pm »
I've got 2 ECE routes mapped. Having encountered quite icy condition last Saturday early morning on a DIY, I'm prepared this time with a more gritted route if required ... but temps look quite reasonable for this coming Sunday.

Indeed, mellow weather forecast, I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed, but there's time for change yet.  Just in case, the first 40km or so are on (I think) gritted roads.