Author Topic: Akto camping - in the snow!  (Read 27350 times)

Akto camping - in the snow!
« on: 08 March, 2009, 10:32:21 am »
I feel very rufty-tufty arctic explorer this morning, having woken up in the snow. Though now I'm in my own bedroom in a fluffy dressing gown ...

I have been thinking about buying a Hilleberg Akto tent - and Andrewc very generously offered to let me try his out, to see if I like it. What a nice man!

So - yesterday I got myself all packed up, into my cycling gear, and was all set to go when I discovered that the campiste (Beecraigs) I was heading for was open - but only for vans. Bah. So after a bit of calling round, I discovered that Drum Mohr, near Musselburgh was open and happy to let me camp. A mere 8 miles from home! But it's a nice site, so I zipped down there.

The tent was super-easy to put up, with the inner and outer all going up in one, and I was soon settled with a coffee. Early dinner, before it got dark, then I read my book till bedtime - about 8.30pm!

And I slept really well. It was a test of my new-ish winter sleeping bag as much as anything, and it obviously worked. When I woke up, I thought the tent seemed really close to my nose... this was partly the design of the Akto - I'm used to my head being at the highest point of a tent - and partly the fact that the fly was, yes, covered in snow! I was grinning like a loon by this point.

So i packed up, took photos, and got on my way. Only to meet lots of audaxers: Eck, Noodley, Valkyrie - and later on, Mercury Kev and others - who were about to set off on (or give up on) the Saltire 200. Given the blizzard I hit around Seafield, I'll be impressed if they did the ride.

Got home, dried off, shower, tea, toast. Now for some photos!

Taking it home from work. Yep, I have inside bike parking - jammy get

Checking everything's there and I know what I'm doing:

Arrived, nice sheltered pitch:

Tent goes up easily:

Cosy bed:

happy camper:

Everything ship shape (!):

reading in bed:

first glance out this morning

yep, it's snowy!

Big thanks to Andrew - I'll get it back to you as soon as it's dried out!

Re: Akto camping - in the snow!
« Reply #1 on: 08 March, 2009, 10:37:07 am »
Brilliant, Ariadne!  :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #2 on: 08 March, 2009, 10:45:46 am »
What type of sleeping bag is it?

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2009, 10:47:36 am »
A SnugPak Softie Winter one - it's great. A bit big, it takes up a whole pannier, but it's really warm.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2009, 12:48:01 pm »
Great pictures, and a great trip. So are you off to buy a Hilleberg now?

N
Advena ego sum in Terra

« Reply #5 on: 08 March, 2009, 12:51:27 pm »
It's an good little tent for cycle camping. Me I prefer a little more space.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »
You're mad you are  :thumbsup: What a night to try out a new tent!

The Saltire 200km turned into the Saltire 10km - the skies turned black and there was about 2 inches of slushy snow on the road before we even got to Tranent. Had some excellent tea and hot rolls at Cyclops' house, so it was well worth the drive to Musselburgh.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2009, 02:05:16 pm »
Camping in snow can be brilliant.  Or utterly miserable.  Looks like you had a great time, though :)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2009, 02:11:26 pm »
I feel very rufty-tufty arctic explorer this morning, having woken up in the snow.
...  Only to meet lots of audaxers: Eck, Noodley, Valkyrie - and later on, Mercury Kev and others - who were about to set off on (or give up on) the Saltire 200. Given the blizzard I hit around Seafield, I'll be impressed if they did the ride.

:thumbsup:
Aye, good for you Ariadne.
Now, who's the rufty tufty explorer, and who are the muckle jessies?  :-[
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 08 March, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »
WoW very brave  :thumbsup:

GlasgowDave

• Inside I'm smiling
    • Flickr Audax Group
« Reply #10 on: 08 March, 2009, 03:39:37 pm »
Well done Ariadne, I haven't even left the house today, although I have rounded up the dust rhinos.

What a star.

GD
it takes a special talent to miss out on the Midnight Madness by sleeping in...

alan

« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2009, 04:15:21 pm »
Camping in snow can be brilliant.  Or utterly miserable.  Looks like you had a great time, though :)
One of the best weekends camping I have ever had was in the Manifold Valley.On the morning of day 2 we awoke to 2" of snow.There is no such thing as bad weather;only bad clothing/gear.A slight exaggeration I know but you get my meaning.

Well done Ariadne :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 08 March, 2009, 09:20:59 pm »
We were camping up in the Welsh borders with Cycleman & a couple of others.  Last night was a tad rough, but it didn't snow until we were trying to pack up :-\

Still, got to see a cracking rainbow. :thumbsup:

Anyone care to pearoast the pic of our Hilleberg at Lichfield last year? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 08 March, 2009, 10:39:11 pm »
Yikes Ariadne!

I thought the house was going to be blown away last night - you must have used a gert big hammer for your tent pegs!

« Reply #14 on: 08 March, 2009, 10:48:56 pm »
The wind was a bit scary, sounded like a steam train coming at me. But I was in quite a sheltered spot - and I lay there thinking, alternately:

"It's a Hilleberg Akto, it'll be fine"

and

"Yeah, but who put the tent pegs in?"

In the end, it stood up to it fine, though it was a bit flumped in the morning, due to snow. I had read things saying the Akto tends to buckle under snow, and then other people saying 'yes, but you just flick it from the inside and the snow falls off'. That might work with fluffy mountain snow but I can report that it doesn't have any effect on heavy, slushy southern Scotland snow.

I nearly popped into your house this morning, Mr M: after the Seafield blizzard, I was super tempted to pop in and beg for a cup of tea. But I thought you might be on the Saltire ride, and wasn't sure how your family would react to a dripping cyclist saying "Hello, I have a bicycle with the same name as your daughter/sister".

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 08 March, 2009, 11:28:12 pm »
I'm reminded of the night I spent in Glen Nevis in a storm in winter in a not entirely appropriate tent  :)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: 09 March, 2009, 07:33:38 am »
Well done Ariadne, a true explorer you are now.

Are you enjoying Thunder and Sunshine? I loved it.

« Reply #17 on: 09 March, 2009, 09:04:21 am »
Still in Cumbria in my old Ultimate Peapod, browsing on my phone so can't see the pics.  Glad you had a good time though.  I've got to pack up and ride back to Lancaster to catch a train now.

Hmmm, buying new touring gear and reading Al Humphries, that's a dangerous combination :-)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: 09 March, 2009, 09:21:49 am »
You're a fruityloop you are, Ariadne  :thumbsup:
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 09 March, 2009, 09:42:28 am »
The 'Happy Camper' phot says it all. :D :thumbsup:
Getting there...

GillP

« Reply #20 on: 09 March, 2009, 10:48:32 am »
Wow, looks great Ariadne, how intrepid are you?!!  :o

Not sure I could be tempted to camp in those conditions but can see the thrill of it too  ::-)

« Reply #21 on: 09 March, 2009, 12:45:08 pm »
Are you enjoying Thunder and Sunshine? I loved it.

Yes! I really am - I read more than half of it on Saturday night! I think it was you who recommended it, so thanks!

Hmmm, buying new touring gear and reading Al Humphries, that's a dangerous combination :-)

And ha - true! Though our big tour is still recent enough that I'm really sympathising with his lows as well as dreaming of the highs. It's interesting how my reading of travel books has changed - I used to lie reading Josie Dew and just yearn to be away. And I'm sure I'll get back to feeling that way. But at the moment I can enjoy reading Thunder & Sunshine while remembering my own experiences, and remembering that for all its joys, long-term touring is hard work at times! Not the cycling, not at all, but the logistics of finding food and somewhere to camp or sleep.

I'm also in awe of his budgeting - I would go absolutely insane trying to live on bread and jam and pasta in stock. I like food too much!

« Reply #22 on: 09 March, 2009, 06:47:22 pm »

Last year in South Staffs. A view from inside my Akto. It's an excellent tent for cycle camping. imo.
Never knowingly under caffeinated

« Reply #23 on: 09 March, 2009, 09:41:48 pm »
I'm home & can see the photos now, what have you been doing with my baby ?

Nice pitch, end guylines should be angled out a bit more, I normally have to fiddle a bit to get the uprights at the end vertical.

A warm sleeping bag, a full size pillow & a good book. All you need for a good night (well, maybe a hip flask as well..)

If I'd known you were that cute I'd have brought the tent up in person  ;)

What was your big tour ?  I seem to have missed that one.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #24 on: 09 March, 2009, 10:12:39 pm »
Nice pitch, end guylines should be angled out a bit more, I normally have to fiddle a bit to get the uprights at the end vertical.

Ah, I wondered - just needs practice, I suppose.

A warm sleeping bag, a full size pillow & a good book. All you need for a good night (well, maybe a hip flask as well..)

It's a wee squashy pillow from Blacks - not perfect, but pretty good. Better than the Tiso version - I tried out both by lying down in the shops to try them out. Got some funny looks...

If I'd known you were that cute I'd have brought the tent up in person  ;)

*blush* - thanks  :P

What was your big tour ?  I seem to have missed that one.

A jaunt round Europe last year. In fact, it's exactly a year since we left. I'm feeling very nostalgic - but also hugely glad we went when we did, before all the 'recession' stuff hit. We thought our budget was tight - if we were going this year, it would have been at least a quarter tighter then it was... yikes. There's a wee report on our trip here: http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7573.0

Oh, and Andrew, your 'baby' should arrive tomorrow - please let me know when it does, cause I got myself into a bit of a state about anything happening to it, after you being so kind as to lend it to me! And i've tried to redo the guy lines precisely as I found them - I'm obsessive about mine being tidy and was impressed to find yours all neatly tied  :D