Author Topic: Heads Up if you're looking for a helmet cam.  (Read 1446 times)

Flynn

• Fred Killah
Heads Up if you're looking for a helmet cam.
« on: 21 May, 2013, 08:22:28 am »
Not as fully featured as the GoPro, but the new offering from Rollei is a fraction of the price. With a reasonable 720p resolution and 90 minutes battery life from fully charged.

Video quality looks reasonable, even if the sound isn't great (but I'd put that down to vibration noise through the mount):

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9p6L4bms6tA&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9p6L4bms6tA&rel=1</a>

ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: Heads Up if you're looking for a helmet cam.
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2013, 09:32:28 am »
Just seen this. Does look interesting. They do some other models that are higher spec too.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2013, 07:12:16 am »
On a big screen, that video is remarkably low D - but no idea how it has been treated prior to upload.

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2013, 08:44:35 am »
I've got one on it's way to me. My older Muvi & clones have either faults or dodgy batteries.  >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2013, 08:48:51 am »
The compression that clip is fierce. Difficult to tell the quality.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2013, 01:30:06 pm »
I've briefly reported on it on another thread, but here it is again:

£50 for a 5M pixel camera with waterproof enclosure, 2" screen 1280 x 720 @ 30fps or 640 X 480 @ 60fps, touch-screen to activate setting, and 4X digital zoom, sounds good, but I had big problems getting it to accept the memory card. The HD setting has good definition, but is a bit jerky with frame rate (this may be my PC's fault). 640 x 480 is smoother motion, but blockier pixel wise. Quality of the camera seems cheap - like the Muvi copies from a few years ago. The waterproof case seems well built but I haven't tested it's waterpoofness-ness yet.

I suspect the Rollei name has been bought up by a Chinese manufacturer (presumably now pronounced "Lorry").

It's worth the £50 but it ain't a match for the Go-pro market.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...