Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81674 times)

Re: Southend Football
« Reply #25 on: 25 January, 2014, 10:49:57 am »
It won't be true anymore if Hull City change their name to Hull Tigers next season!

Beat me to it. 

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 25 January, 2014, 10:51:06 am »
Are they really intending that underhand, scurrilous manoeuvre?

I think I might have to go out this afternoon and let their coach's tyres down.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #27 on: 25 January, 2014, 11:15:09 am »
http://www.chrisrand.com/hmhb/90-bisodol-crimond/rock-and-roll-is-full-of-bad-wools/

Southend's ground gets a mention in this tale of how the game has been hijacked by folk who call it "footie" and eat prawn sandwiches. Pretty good tune too, IMHO...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #28 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »
No score so far. When the going gets tough, the tough go shopping. I'm off on the hunt for cheap Seville oranges.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #29 on: 25 January, 2014, 04:53:21 pm »
The oranges were all full price so they stayed where they were. I have enough in the freezer for two or three batches so there's no urgency.

I could hear the crowd from outside Waitrose, which is more than a mile away. Sadly, it's now 2 - 0 to Hull so no surprises there then. What is the great pity is that Watford have capitulated to Man City after leading 2 - 0.

Even Rochdale have let us down.

« Reply #30 on: 25 January, 2014, 05:46:24 pm »
Yes, sorry about that!  Actually, I'm more irritated by the way Liverpool cheated their way past Bournemouth.  And Sturridge's "Am I God, or what?" face after he scored his admittedly excellent goal made me want to throw up.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #31 on: 01 February, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »
Two results sneaked past me during the past few days whilst my attention was elsewhere.

Not exactly as sick as a parrot, Brian, but it was far from an over-the-moon situation as The Bleeders garnered a paltry two points against DagnmnRedbridge and Newport County. Meanwhile, Chesterfield, whom Southend beat 3 - 0 only a week or two ago, have reclaimed Top Spot with impressive away wins against York and Northampton.

It's a funny old game, David.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #32 on: 16 February, 2014, 06:11:27 pm »
Definitely a psitticosis situation yesterday as T'Bleeders allowed Exeter two late goals, thus squandering all 3 points.

« Reply #33 on: 22 February, 2014, 07:43:55 am »
These footy updates are better than the local rag

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #34 on: 11 March, 2014, 11:42:55 pm »
Poor old Saarfend haven't won a match since they beat Chesterfield 3 - 0 on 18th January. Chesterfield are now top of League 2 and Southend have slumped to 7th position, 12 points adrift, and gradually heading out of the play-off places and into mid-table.

Meanwhile, their owner, Nefarious Ron Martin, who at 59 remains ashen-faced and tight-lipped, has had a couple of sycophantic articles written about him in our local rag. He is determined a new stadium, a long way from the centre of Southend, will be built, despite the current stadium being easily big enough for a club at this level. Roots Hall holds 12,000. The average home crowd is about 4,500.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/11049792.Ron_Martin_remortgaged_his_mansion_to_bail_out_Southend_United/

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/11041631.Ron_Martin_interview__Fossets_Farm_will_happen/

« Reply #35 on: 12 March, 2014, 12:37:33 am »
Amazingly after only just surviving in league 2 last year York City are having a run of form and are closing in on the playoff positions.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #36 on: 17 March, 2014, 11:31:34 am »
York are now level on points with Southend after saturday's results - 0-0 at Roots Hall whereas York won 2 - 0.

« Reply #37 on: 23 March, 2014, 09:28:51 am »
And now 2 points above and in the playoff positions after beating Portsmouth yesterday. This is quite unreal.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #38 on: 23 March, 2014, 11:07:22 am »
Southend have drawn a remarkable number of games this year - 8 out of the last 11 played.

« Reply #39 on: 25 March, 2014, 09:57:29 pm »
and York have won again and moved up another place. It cant last they play a lot of the teams at the top of the league in their remaining matches. Still I don't think we'll be fighting for league survival this season at least.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #40 on: 25 March, 2014, 10:22:41 pm »
I have just noticed that Southend beat Oxford 3 - 0 last night. I didn't know they were playing. Mind you, I went to a choir practice more than an hour before the match started and got home after it finished.

That's a very good result for Southend as Oxford are still 2 places above them in the table.

« Reply #41 on: 29 March, 2014, 06:30:42 pm »
Ah well it had to end sometime. York drew 0-0 with Burton and drop out of the playoff places. Southend go two places higher than York on goal difference with Southend, Oxford and York all on 59 points.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #42 on: 18 April, 2014, 09:10:06 pm »
What happened to Rochdale today, Peter? A 3 - 0 home defeat to The Bleeders was not really expected. Good for Saarfend's prospects though.

« Reply #43 on: 19 April, 2014, 12:53:13 am »
I thought you'd be on, P!  Yes, an excellent result, for you.  I'm bad luck for my teams, so I generally don't go.   But I had a lovely family afternoon out walking above Oldham!  The result was not totally unexpected as you are resurgent and we are having our usual promotion jitters.  Be nice if we both went up!           

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #44 on: 19 April, 2014, 09:06:13 am »
I thought you'd be on, P!  Yes, an excellent result, for you.  I'm bad luck for my teams, so I generally don't go.   But I had a lovely family afternoon out walking above Oldham!  The result was not totally unexpected as you are resurgent and we are having our usual promotion jitters.  Be nice if we both went up!           
Not a good result for me as I'm not a supporter of any team. I take an interest in what happens to Southend Utd as their ground is less than a quarter of a mile from our house and there is always the threat of a new out-of-town stadium which I feel is greater when Southend are doing well. It is hard to justify a 20000 seat stadium when your 12000 seat stadium is rarely more than half full.

So an interesting result, in the "Chinese curse" sense.

It looks as though Southend will get into the play-offs but with luck they will avoid promotion!

PS I have just realised that I covered all this in the OP!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #45 on: 25 April, 2014, 12:56:57 pm »
An interesting quirk of the fixture list is that Southend have to play the two teams immediately above them in their final games, Fleetwood and Burton Albion. Even if they lose both I think they are unlikely to be caught by Oxford, who are 6 points behind and have a 10-goal difference inferiority. OTOH Oxford do have to play Accrington & Northampton, who are a long way down teh table, so making up a 10-goal difference if Southend lose twice is not out of the question.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #46 on: 26 April, 2014, 05:43:31 pm »
Well, Oxford lost ignominiously at home and Southend got a point against Fleetwood so Southend are in the play-offs, currently behind York. There is one game to play for Southend, against Burton, who are also in the play-offs, unless they win their last two and overcome an inferior GD of 20 against Chesterfield. Unlikely.

Southend will have to play Fleetwood again in the play-offs, whenever they may be.

« Reply #47 on: 26 April, 2014, 07:21:57 pm »
And Rochdale go up!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #48 on: 26 April, 2014, 07:27:39 pm »
Well done them!

It's quite nice that there's a gap between the top 3 and the play-off places and an even bigger one between the play-offs and the also-rans. That way, no-one can feel particularly hard-done-by - yet! That's what the play-offs are for!

I haven't taken that much interest in such things in the past, but ISTR that Southend have been in the play-offs quite a few times and I don't think they have ever been promoted from them. I am hoping that the same is true this year.

« Reply #49 on: 26 April, 2014, 07:32:54 pm »
Ha!  I understand your sentiments.  Probably the only land that Rochdale could expand to is an old asbestos site which housing developers have failed with for years.