Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134516 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #50 on: 17 August, 2017, 02:42:14 pm »
Catswiskas said it isn't the overseas riders who are causing the problem anyway.

Catswiskas and Somnolent also said (or implied) that the AUK-only rule might not be applied to overseas riders.

Read the second line of LiamFitz' post.  I'll put it here incase you have trouble finding it.

Chains and dodgy hotel beds aside...

I'm very interested in Ritchie and Claire's AUK only policy.  I would not advocate it for many events but for the longer distances I think it's got real value (unless someone can point out the glaring flaw in the scheme).  As far as I can tell it is an incentive:
....snip
Discuss...

I'm not sure what point you're making. Are you explaining a misunderstanding?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #51 on: 17 August, 2017, 02:45:10 pm »
SNIP

As organisers, we bear the risks for the event. If it doesn't cover it's costs, we have to under write them, ourselves, personally.

SNIP

Prospective entrants from overseas should contact us directly.

SNIP

The first line is not quite correct. Audax UK has, on multiple occasions, stated that it will cover unexpected shortfalls so that the organisers of long brevets will not be out of pocket. This policy is specifically to allow organisers to 'aim higher' with regards to providing support for long brevets. IMHO the BCM600 is the sort of event that AUK should be particularly encouraging organisers to create.

The second line suggests that overseas entrants may not require AUK membership (an approach I favour).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #52 on: 17 August, 2017, 02:50:13 pm »

[/quote]

The second line suggests that overseas entrants may not require AUK membership (an approach I favour).
[/quote]

A tidier approach all round

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #53 on: 17 August, 2017, 02:53:05 pm »
What I'm trying to get at is AUK only means only members of AUK can ride. There's no mention in your post @12:33:55 about AUK only events being open to members of other international organisations or overseas entrants and it's your post that I'm replying to.

That's it.

« Reply #54 on: 17 August, 2017, 02:54:47 pm »
What I'm trying to get at is AUK only means only members of AUK can ride. There's no mention in your post about AUK only events being open to members of other international organisations or overseas entrants and it's your post that I'm replying to.

That's it.

Glad we cleared that one up then

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #55 on: 17 August, 2017, 03:05:50 pm »
So am I.

If you mean overseas riders are welcome to apply, that's fine and dandy with me.

« Reply #56 on: 17 August, 2017, 03:07:31 pm »
One less hurdle in the Brexit negotiations for David Davis to worry about

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #57 on: 17 August, 2017, 03:12:42 pm »
Luckily.

I was going to tell Guy Verhofstadt about you.

« Reply #58 on: 17 August, 2017, 07:28:44 pm »
What I'm trying to get at is AUK only means only members of AUK can ride. There's no mention in your post @12:33:55 about AUK only events being open to members of other international organisations or overseas entrants and it's your post that I'm replying to.

That's it.

You did rather seem to be replying to my post of 2:17 - or at least that's what I took the quoting to imply - while ignoring Liam's post of 2:21 (conveniently directly above yours) in which he explicitly said that he thought welcoming overseas riders would be a good idea. 

Anyway, you and Liam seem to have got it all cleared up now, so that's splendid.

« Reply #59 on: 17 August, 2017, 07:31:20 pm »
To put this in perspective - and hopefully put the whole thing to bed - I was talking to a rider on a recent ride (which cost more than £42, incidentally) about cheap accommodation before/after rides. Amongst other things, he reckoned that the £4/night he pays at Caving Club properties was about right!

(we didn't discuss chains ... )

I wonder who that was :)

« Reply #60 on: 17 August, 2017, 11:18:17 pm »
An interesting proposition ...
no bag-drop yet confirmed. And we don't know how many tickets there are - so there might be 500 of you fighting for the 42 beds in the YHA.

( I know it's "only 42 quid", but that's 8 chains, or 2 nights accomodation. :P )

Yeah, like my £45.50 'Saver Rate' at the SV TL on 18/05/2018 for a 'Family Room' [2 separate beds, including 'twin supplement']

« Reply #61 on: 18 August, 2017, 07:45:13 am »
An interesting proposition ...
no bag-drop yet confirmed. And we don't know how many tickets there are - so there might be 500 of you fighting for the 42 beds in the YHA.

( I know it's "only 42 quid", but that's 8 chains, or 2 nights accomodation. :P )

Yeah, like my £45.50 'Saver Rate' at the SV TL on 18/05/2018 for a 'Family Room' [2 separate beds, including 'twin supplement']

On the upside, they did throw in a bunch of chains and a cassette...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 18 August, 2017, 10:30:28 am »
To put this in perspective - and hopefully put the whole thing to bed - I was talking to a rider on a recent ride (which cost more than £42, incidentally) about cheap accommodation before/after rides. Amongst other things, he reckoned that the £4/night he pays at Caving Club properties was about right!

(we didn't discuss chains ... )

I wonder who that was :)
;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #63 on: 18 August, 2017, 12:26:09 pm »

local caving club annual membership = £33 (rising to £38 for 2018) PLUS obligatory insurance £17...which puts £4 / night into context - and the accom is in a hut...tho' Dol hostel does get busy...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 18 August, 2017, 12:30:47 pm »

local caving club annual membership = £33 (rising to £38 for 2018) PLUS obligatory insurance £17...which puts £4 / night into context - and the accom is in a hut...tho' Dol hostel does get busy...
Yes, exactly!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

whosatthewheel

« Reply #65 on: 18 August, 2017, 01:10:41 pm »
For the benefit of the all forum, what are you talking about? What Caving Club are we talking about here? I can't follow you

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #66 on: 19 August, 2017, 07:38:45 pm »
£ 42 is actually quite reasonable for what is being offered IMO. I paid 35 euro (£ 32) for the 600km Rando Imperator brevet, which included food at the controls, but no facilities to get some sleep. Next weeks 600km BRM ride in the Netherlands is 19 euro (£ 17) and you get a cup of coffee at the start for that (and I hope some food at the finish, but that is not a given).

Just how popular is BCM? Given the 42 bed capacity of the hostel at Dolgellau I assume the event is limited to some 50 riders? I get the feeling that by the time paying from overseas is resolved, and the international postal services have grudgingly delivered my entry to the Sunnyside Cottage, I may well be too late :(

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #67 on: 19 August, 2017, 09:35:15 pm »
I see 142 finishers listed last year. You can't expect a bed for a full night more likely a couple of hours before being removed for later arrivals. Personally I booked a room elsewhere but the number of food stops still make the event good value.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #68 on: 19 August, 2017, 10:04:42 pm »
Bloody hell, I cannot remember the last time I entered a ride using a cheque book and two stamped address envelopes.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #69 on: 19 August, 2017, 11:35:49 pm »
For the benefit of the all forum, what are you talking about? What Caving Club are we talking about here? I can't follow you

To be honest, I don't think detail is going to benefit anyone ...

I suspect that mattc was talking about a particular rider with a twin reputation for being, um, careful, and a robust caver. I assume that said rider has previously booked accommodation in caving club huts near to whatever event he plans to ride, paying whatever modest sum he is charged as a guest with reciprocal rights as a member of his own local club.

I've wondered about doing something similar using mountaineering club huts, but have never quite got round to it.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #70 on: 20 August, 2017, 05:33:12 am »
I see 142 finishers listed last year.
Ah, that's reassuring. Thanks.

I'm thinking of turning this into my holidays next year. Ride BCM, do two weeks of leisurely touring in the Cotswolds and Essex, return for  "this is not a tour" from Llandrindod followed by more sightseeing and finishing of with "back to the smoke" from Exeter.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #71 on: 20 August, 2017, 07:44:02 am »

I suspect that mattc was talking about a particular rider with a twin reputation for being, um, careful, and a robust caver. I assume that said rider has previously booked accommodation in caving club huts near to whatever event he plans to ride, paying whatever modest sum he is charged as a guest with reciprocal rights as a member of his own local club.

I've wondered about doing something similar using mountaineering club huts, but have never quite got round to it.

I found it impossible to book a Travelodge or similar budget hotel en route the Flatlands 600 (hence didn't enter), I wonder how easy it would be to find a Caving club en route an Audax   ::-)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #72 on: 20 August, 2017, 11:50:12 am »
I understand the need for the team to get entries in early in order to cover costs but I do wonder why AUK cannot provide a loan for a period of time. This would mean the BCM team wouldn't be out of pocket for a large part of the year and entries could be accepted from, say, January 2018.

Anyway, this happened earlier today.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #73 on: 20 August, 2017, 12:23:08 pm »
I understand the need for the team to get entries in early in order to cover costs but I do wonder why AUK cannot provide a loan for a period of time. This would mean the BCM team wouldn't be out of pocket for a large part of the year and entries could be accepted from, say, January 2018.

Anyway, this happened earlier today.

73 inch fixed?  :o

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #74 on: 20 August, 2017, 01:48:07 pm »

I found it impossible to book a Travelodge or similar budget hotel en route the Flatlands 600 (hence didn't enter), I wonder how easy it would be to find a Caving club en route an Audax   ::-)
On the flatlands? Impossible I imagine.

Eddington  127miles, 170km