Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3889676 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22975 on: 31 March, 2020, 02:58:09 pm »

Peter for someone who doesn’t mind disagreement you are spending an awful lot of time pretending your opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.  Just accept you have an opinion, that is all. You are neither right nor wrong. It’s just your opinion on what you personally will do with your interpretation of the guidance. Others have different opinions.

I could tell you to spend no more than 5 minutes exercising outside your property and it would be no more correct than your arbitrary 30 min figure plucked out the air.

Perhaps if you got out for a bit longer each day you wouldn’t spend so much time on here trying to prove you are right when no such proof is possible.

5 x 30 minutes a week has been a "health mantra" for general fitness and heart health for years.  So, not "plucked out (of) the air" air at all.  It was in fact reiterated by a medic interviewed on the BBC News just minutes before my first post on this topic.  I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this, but happy to help.

Based on an old very limited study of operations and a very slight improvement of outcome over that of a previously sedentary person aka couch potato.  It’s a bare minimum target for people used to sitting on their arses.  The 30 mins was plucked out the air as a simple figure for sedentary people to aim for as it was thought longer and they’d think it was too much and not do any exercise at all. It’s not a recommendation to reduce your exercise to that level. God forbid any of us should exceed it.

You spend two days a week never leaving your house if you want. The rest of us are going out each day for exercise within the law and maintaining significantly more spacing than the 2 metres. Sounds sensible.

As you inferred above, it’s not about what Peter wants.

P.S. If you want another manta aka sacred utterance aka belief aka faith then come back with the science and evidence underpinning 5 a day fruits and vegetables and why it’s not 4 or 6 or even 10.

:facepalm:

Sorry, Phil, I'm outa here - panic-buyers got all the popcorn.

PS  manRa, mantRa, mantRa....

Phil W

« Reply #22976 on: 31 March, 2020, 03:26:42 pm »

:facepalm:

Sorry, Phil, I'm outa here - panic-buyers got all the popcorn.

PS  manRa, mantRa, mantRa....

It’s no good head in your hands when you randomly picked advice to get sedentary adults active as the advice for outdoor exercise and social isolation for everyone right now. Quite simply, it’s your own idea of what you’ll do, no more.

P.S. So you are a pendant as well because I had a typo in mantra at the end. You are clearly getting cabin fever already!  ::-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22977 on: 31 March, 2020, 04:11:45 pm »

Peter for someone who doesn’t mind disagreement you are spending an awful lot of time pretending your opinion is right and everyone else is wrong.  Just accept you have an opinion, that is all. You are neither right nor wrong. It’s just your opinion on what you personally will do with your interpretation of the guidance. Others have different opinions.

I could tell you to spend no more than 5 minutes exercising outside your property and it would be no more correct than your arbitrary 30 min figure plucked out the air.

Perhaps if you got out for a bit longer each day you wouldn’t spend so much time on here trying to prove you are right when no such proof is possible.

5 x 30 minutes a week has been a "health mantra" for general fitness and heart health for years.  So, not "plucked out (of) the air" air at all.  It was in fact reiterated by a medic interviewed on the BBC News just minutes before my first post on this topic.  I'm surprised you hadn't heard of this, but happy to help.
And the average height of a male is 175cm and rda is 2500 calories so even if 30 minutes was a good average it is not necessarily a good maximum.

You should be exercising (and making lifestyle improvements) as if to prepare for a major operation. If you can improve your cardiovascular fitness in half an hour of non intense exercise five times per week then that is what you should do. If you want to time limit your exercise running is probably a better option.

I don’t believe you should be hiit training on a bike or probably at all at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why not? Doesn't it fit in with the exercise and lifestyle improvements? Puzzled by this.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22978 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:02:45 am »
Yesterday’s spin around dusk resulted in four other cyclists and five foxes sighted. Only one SUV prat detected, who tried to bully me into the gutter as he was driving towards me. He only veered away when my outstretched arm looked likely to take off his driver’s side wing mirror. Otherwise, courteous drivers out there.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #22979 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:29:37 am »
Some more off road therapy for me yesterday evening on the MTB.  Mixing and matching the tracks around here in a different permutation from the previous sessions.  Most of the tracks are riding really well although there is still the occasional boggy spot.

Spotted a cyclist half carrying her bike along the road at one point and offered some socially-distanced assistance.  The front tyre was flat and she couldn't undo the locking ring from the valve stem.  It was fairly tight but I managed to shift it.  She reckoned she had all of the necessary repair kit and knew how to use it so I left her to it - taking my potentially contaminated fingers with me.

I may have to go a bit further afield this evening to stop myself repeating too many of the more local tracks.

Davef

Have you been out today?
« Reply #22980 on: 01 April, 2020, 09:03:10 am »

And the average height of a male is 175cm and rda is 2500 calories so even if 30 minutes was a good average it is not necessarily a good maximum.

You should be exercising (and making lifestyle improvements) as if to prepare for a major operation. If you can improve your cardiovascular fitness in half an hour of non intense exercise five times per week then that is what you should do. If you want to time limit your exercise running is probably a better option.

I don’t believe you should be hiit training on a bike or probably at all at the moment.

Why not? Doesn't it fit in with the exercise and lifestyle improvements? Puzzled by this.
On a bike because you are more likely to have an accident doing sprints at say double your ftp for a minute. The “at all” (ie running) is because there is a small increased risk of a cardiac incident and this is not the time for such things. Slow and steady is the name of the game at the moment.

Edit: ps - also doing high intensity exercise while stressed is not good the “running for a plane heart attack” scenario.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22981 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:19:05 am »
Makes sense, cheers. The heart attack thing is obvious but as a full-value audax and pootle type, it's a long time since I rode a bike so hard I was liable to crash!

Phil W

« Reply #22982 on: 01 April, 2020, 10:29:58 am »
Did a pub crawl with my wife last night.  Three country pubs. Took a photo at each.  Not quite the same cycling round the loop,without stopping for a beer though.  I was on my Brompton. Saw one runner going other way.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #22983 on: 02 April, 2020, 01:16:28 pm »
A mere 9.4km on the tourer today.  Was ever so glad to get back home, as I was almost in tears  :'( with my right shoulder playing up...
On a brighter note, the Continental Tour Ride tyres were quite a nice ride compared to the old Marathon Greenguards! 

« Reply #22984 on: 02 April, 2020, 03:52:02 pm »
First ride this year on the tandem. Just 5 miles mainly on local shared use paths to check it out. Had a little trouble with the e-assist, maybe should have used some GT85 on the contacts first. Anyway, it settled down eventually. Quite a few walkers, cyclists and some joggers encountered.

Will go a bit further afield next time. Good weather forecast for the weekend, but this might bring more people out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22985 on: 02 April, 2020, 05:37:54 pm »
Traffic seems to be increasing, and there are more pedestrians around the shopping areas.

Saw someone in a full Batman[1] costume, which is probably the least appropriate form of PPE for the circumstances.   ???

[1] Modern too-serious version, not the proper Adam West style.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22986 on: 02 April, 2020, 06:00:50 pm »
What makes you sure it was PPE? Your cynicism has blinded to you Brum's only visit from DC's favourite superhero!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #22987 on: 02 April, 2020, 06:08:59 pm »
Seem to have settled into a 'standard' local 30k loop.
A ride of 2 halves today.
Grovelling out at 20kph.
TT mode on the return, over 50kph for substantial sections!

« Reply #22988 on: 02 April, 2020, 06:40:30 pm »
34km, bit of main roads, bit of lanes, some flat, some climbing, very strong westerly as per usual

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22989 on: 02 April, 2020, 06:51:51 pm »
What makes you sure it was PPE? Your cynicism has blinded to you Brum's only visit from DC's favourite superhero!

He was neither standing broodily on a tall building, nor fighting crime.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22990 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:28:54 pm »
In any case, Gotham is actually in Bristol.
https://youtu.be/99TXqXvfUH8

« Reply #22991 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:31:09 pm »
Notts.  Surely.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22992 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:32:02 pm »
Excellent!

Phil W

« Reply #22993 on: 02 April, 2020, 07:52:16 pm »
Short circuit of cycle ways with wife. Took to roads part way through due to busier than usual usage.  Planning a minimal viable circle round the outside of town tomorrow. Never ridden this minimal circuit so will be interesting to see just how far it is without straying back into town till I reach the exit point.

« Reply #22994 on: 02 April, 2020, 08:27:23 pm »
20.06 km out to Gerrard's cross and back via  the  chitty chitty bang bang ford and..pinewood studios . Ave 13.7 km  🙂.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22995 on: 02 April, 2020, 09:34:02 pm »
20.06 km out to Gerrard's cross and back via  the  chitty chitty bang bang ford and..pinewood studios . Ave 13.7 km  🙂.

That sounds nice.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #22996 on: 03 April, 2020, 08:35:46 am »
With some very good weather forecast from Sunday, I just hope we are not going to see a repeat of the scenes from a couple of weeks ago with everyone going out into the countryside to enjoy the weather.

People being irresponsible like that will just knock everyone back again and bring in added restrictions with the potential that no-one can even go out at all or risk being fined.

Please, please do not ignore the Government advice and stay at home.  It will be difficult for sure, but lets try and deal with this pandemic first and hopefully we still might be able to enjoy the Summer.

« Reply #22997 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:13:47 am »
On the road at 6 a.m just before dawn.  I go out for an hour, so today that was 13 miles in the lanes and then home for breakfast.  Very pleasant with all the birds shouting at each other.  This time last week it was still around freezing at that time; today it was a balmy 5 degrees.

« Reply #22998 on: 03 April, 2020, 09:56:33 am »

That sounds nice.  :)

Yes it was a  good little ride..the chitty chitty  bang bang  ford looks nothing like it did in the film these days. The woods in black park appear in a  number of hammer horror films and are still used occasionally in some modern movies   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22999 on: 03 April, 2020, 12:18:19 pm »
Chitty chitty bang bang ford?