Author Topic: Edge 810 auto-shutdown and charging mid-ride  (Read 3001 times)

Edge 810 auto-shutdown and charging mid-ride
« on: 27 March, 2017, 11:59:46 am »
I used the Edge 810 for the first time on 200k Audax, and the auto-shutdown feature is driving me mad. Charging from my dynamo hub cause the unit to start shutting down, whenever I stop.  From what I can tell, there's no way to disable this?

I also took a usb power-pack, this was pretty unreliable too. I suspect some of the rougher terrain caused the device to stop charging. It wasn't reporting as 100% charged.

I've previously used an Edge 800, which was perfectly happy plugged in to the dynamo for most of my longer rides. Unfortunately, I charged it in the rain one too many times and the micro-USB port is corroded. The last ride I used it on the screen also fogged up too.

I've scoured ebay, but there's not much in the way of spares for the 800. Has anyone got an effective charging strategy for longer rides?

I'm tempted to ditch the Edge for an Etrex. I understand it the 30x can also record ANT+ speed/cadence and HRM sensor data?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Edge 810 auto-shutdown and charging mid-ride
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2017, 03:32:51 pm »
I'm tempted to ditch the Edge for an Etrex.

Sounds reasonable to me.  Avoiding this sort of rubbish is a big part of why I prefer the eTrex.

I understand it the 30x can also record ANT+ speed/cadence and HRM sensor data?

I have a 30.  HR works fine.  It will record cadence from a combined speed/cadence sensor, and AIUI ignore the speed data.  It doesn't recognise my discrete cadence sensor.

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2017, 11:24:40 pm »
I tried my Edge Touring Plus on a 200 for the first time yesterday. It's a nice GPS, but it didn't last the course. It didn't matter much because I know the route backwards, and was only really using it for company. I've considered carrying a portable charger but, on an unfamilar route, I might have to go back to the Etrex HCx, which has replaceable batteries that last twice as long anyway.

Or pedal faster. Hmmm.

« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2017, 09:20:09 am »
Hello,

funny. i just had a discussion with Garmin support over the exactly same topic (with the Edge 810) last week.
They say it is a feature, not a bug. So it is unlikely that it will be fixed in a future firmware. Luckily for me the powerbank option works well, maybe you should try a different powerbank?

Greetings
Stefan

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2017, 08:41:07 pm »
funny. i just had a discussion with Garmin support over the exactly same topic (with the Edge 810) last week.
They say it is a feature, not a bug. So it is unlikely that it will be fixed in a future firmware.

Yeah, I'd seen that on the Garmin forums. It's a bizarre "feature". You'd think it'd notice if you were recording a ride and only offer the option, if not.

« Reply #5 on: 28 March, 2017, 08:42:03 pm »
yes, that would be fine. maybe u write to garmin support as well, to increase demand in this feature?

« Reply #6 on: 28 March, 2017, 09:24:52 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Garmin Edge 810.

« Reply #7 on: 28 March, 2017, 09:37:15 pm »
The 810 had two ways in which is can switch itself off. One you can control, one you can't.

The one you can control is if you've been stationary for about 10 minutes. It will auto power off. No screen asking if this is what you would like, it just does it. There is an off on option in the set up menus.

The other one is where the 810 is running on an outside power source. Where that power source is a power monkey and when it has gobbled up all the juice from the power monkey. It will give you a warning screen asking if this is what you want. If you are quick enough to spot this you can hit the cross rather than the tick and the Garmin will carry on working. You can't switch this 'feature' off.  Randomly, after a recent update that my Garmin helped itself to via Garmin Connect as I had the unit plugged into the Mac rather than just the SD card, this 'feature' no longer kicks in when you unplug it from a power socket.

If your only needed for a GPS is for brevets the Etrex 30 is the best bet. The Etrex 35 touch has a similar evil disposition as the Edge 810.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2017, 10:36:47 am »
The 810 had two ways in which is can switch itself off. One you can control, one you can't.

The one you can control is if you've been stationary for about 10 minutes. It will auto power off. No screen asking if this is what you would like, it just does it. There is an off on option in the set up menus.

The other one is where the 810 is running on an outside power source. Where that power source is a power monkey and when it has gobbled up all the juice from the power monkey. It will give you a warning screen asking if this is what you want. If you are quick enough to spot this you can hit the cross rather than the tick and the Garmin will carry on working. You can't switch this 'feature' off.  Randomly, after a recent update that my Garmin helped itself to via Garmin Connect as I had the unit plugged into the Mac rather than just the SD card, this 'feature' no longer kicks in when you unplug it from a power socket.

If your only needed for a GPS is for brevets the Etrex 30 is the best bet. The Etrex 35 touch has a similar evil disposition as the Edge 810.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
What about the third one where it shuts itself off and deletes all data after 220km..?

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2017, 12:05:14 pm »
The Etrex 35 touch has a similar evil disposition as the Edge 810.

That's helpful to know. I was considering the 35, as it's newer of the two models. It does take AAs though, for a quick swap.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2017, 12:20:37 pm »
We have both the Etrex 30 and 35 (and several Edges) in HK's Garmin collection and prefer the 30.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...