Author Topic: DIY GPS  (Read 1987 times)

DIY GPS
« on: 28 July, 2019, 04:02:31 pm »
I am thinking of preparing some DIY GPS routes for my days off work. The problem I face is family commitments and weather. Is it possible to submit GPS DIY without a date so I can just use it when I get a free day.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: DIY GPS
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2019, 04:04:12 pm »
I am thinking of preparing some DIY GPS routes for my days off work. The problem I face is family commitments and weather. Is it possible to submit GPS DIY without a date so I can just use it when I get a free day.

A good question.  I think you can enter a DIY the evening before, but I've still to figure out the audax DIY system, so I may be mistaken. 

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:01:08 pm »
Not an expert, there will be others who can answer this definitively, but my understanding is:

I don't know if the date is essential, I expect so. But you can either submit the day before, or submit with your first choice of date and then email a change of date subsequently if necessary

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:11:46 pm »
Why wait till the day before, just submit it before you ride it...  :thumbsup: 

As long as you notify *before* you ride it, then I think that's OK ?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:20:54 pm »
Done a few now and had no problem with the approach jiberjaber describes. The date field on the online entry form is mandatory but I've sent entries with a note saying that I intend to ride between two dates (usually when I'm on holiday with family and can't specify which date I'll be able to ride) and had no problem with that either.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:26:15 pm »
Many thanks I will try that

S2L

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:26:48 pm »
Submit last minute, before heading out

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2019, 05:31:58 pm »
either enter on the day or enter in advance and email when you wish to actually ride both work equally well. The "in advance" thing is mainly if you require a paper posted card or wish the org to confirm the distance, but you must enter before you start even if it's on the day.

It's largely assumed these days that the rider will have done their homework and confirmed the minimum distance before submitting their entry. Orgs are always happy to answer queries but are very busy  :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 28 July, 2019, 06:18:31 pm »
Inspired by another thread:  Simply ride your bike when you can, enter the DIY afterwards, and re-write the dates in the GPX file to suit before submitting.   ;)

« Reply #9 on: 28 July, 2019, 07:52:31 pm »
The riding your bike step in those instructions seems a laborious way of generating entropy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 28 July, 2019, 07:53:25 pm »
The riding your bike step in those instructions seems a laborious way of generating entropy.

It's a hell of a lot more fun that sitting there wiggling the mouse.

Martin

« Reply #11 on: 28 July, 2019, 09:34:42 pm »
Inspired by another thread:  Simply ride your bike when you can, enter the DIY afterwards, and re-write the dates in the GPX file to suit before submitting.   ;)

won't work, there's more to a gpx track than just the date ridden; the satellites are in a different position at the same time every day and the AUK software will pick this up...

Phil W

« Reply #12 on: 28 July, 2019, 09:45:18 pm »

won't work, there's more to a gpx track than just the date ridden; the satellites are in a different position at the same time every day and the AUK software will pick this up...

Hahahahaha  ;D

Martin

« Reply #13 on: 28 July, 2019, 09:49:06 pm »
well it worked for TV detector vans  ;)

actually there is a grain of truth in that; I remember watching a Bond film on an old B/w tv with a loop aerial in a shared flat. At the end I couldn't understand why the adverts all fast forwarded. We were picking up the signal from the VCR (or TV) on the other side of the wall!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 29 July, 2019, 09:12:07 am »

Select a date long in the future, put a comment in the box saying date is provisional and you will confirm it before riding.

Istr that you should notify them the day before.

I tend to have a couple of routes pre loaded. Typically they are point to point, so I'll have say Amsterdam to Groningen, and the equivalent return. Then when I know the wind direction, I email the diy org, and say the date I'm riding. 

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #15 on: 29 July, 2019, 02:39:35 pm »
Submit last minute, before heading out
That's what I do.  The brevet card is received by email instantly and you're good to go. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16 on: 29 July, 2019, 03:09:18 pm »
I'd do what QG has said. Put a date in say 2029 and notify the night before. Also contact your DIY org if you're in doubt.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #17 on: 29 July, 2019, 03:26:14 pm »
I'd do what QG has said. Put a date in say 2029 and notify the night before. Also contact your DIY org if you're in doubt.
Thanks. I have contacted the DIY org and he said to do as you said. Thanks again

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #18 on: 29 July, 2019, 04:42:52 pm »
"We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences — you will ride your bicycle for thirteen and a half hours." 
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #19 on: 29 July, 2019, 05:07:13 pm »
"We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences — you will ride your bicycle for thirteen and a half hours."
I am a habitual cyclist and obviously treat road rash as an occasional hazard and falling off while clipped into my cleats in the same casual manner