Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 437375 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #150 on: 30 May, 2016, 01:37:27 pm »
Unless it's something where you aren't aware of there being a choice, like when you accidentally buy a low-fat version of something.  I once came home with a bottle of lime juice (pancakes, for the sprinkling of) because it was in a continuous shelf next to the lemon juice.  I couldn't see the colour difference, and didn't think to read the label because what else was it going to be?   :facepalm:

Buy limes rather than bottled juice.  Tastes better and no risk of buying low-fat.1

1. Codeword for 'no taste'.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #151 on: 30 May, 2016, 02:11:58 pm »
My lemon juice and lime juice (Sainsbury's) are unsweetened and naturally low-calorie.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #152 on: 30 May, 2016, 02:29:59 pm »
Thanks for reminding me Kim that buying milk in France can be amusing.

Typical minefield for those of us who 'point & grunt'. I have at last got it 95% consistent and have learnt the hard way the difference between 'lait frais' and 'fraiche'. (I wouldn't advise adding the latter to your coffee!) Also the distinction between 'demi-ecreme' and 'entier'.

The easy bit is avoiding UHT cos that's never in a fridge . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #153 on: 30 May, 2016, 04:17:41 pm »
Unless it's something where you aren't aware of there being a choice, like when you accidentally buy a low-fat version of something.  I once came home with a bottle of lime juice (pancakes, for the sprinkling of) because it was in a continuous shelf next to the lemon juice.  I couldn't see the colour difference, and didn't think to read the label because what else was it going to be?   :facepalm:

Buy limes rather than bottled juice.  Tastes better and no risk of buying low-fat.1

1. Codeword for 'no taste'.

PLJ, do both lemon and lime in bottles, good for cocktails as well
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

« Reply #154 on: 30 May, 2016, 04:20:28 pm »
At least they've mostly standardised the lid colours now, though I appreciate this does not help the colour-blind.
Skimmed is RED
Semi-skimmed is GREEN
Full fat is BLUE.

Not colour blind, but attention deficient in this case and not looking at the lid. Son in pushchair, basket in one hand, didn't take time to check the lid

« Reply #155 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:05:59 pm »
Thanks for reminding me Kim that buying milk in France can be amusing.

Typical minefield for those of us who 'point & grunt'. I have at last got it 95% consistent and have learnt the hard way the difference between 'lait frais' and 'fraiche'. (I wouldn't advise adding the latter to your coffee!) Also the distinction between 'demi-ecreme' and 'entier'.

The easy bit is avoiding UHT cos that's never in a fridge . . .

Mmmm, lait cru.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #156 on: 31 May, 2016, 01:01:01 am »
I took the lid off the coffee tin to make a (Instant) coffee. Realised the tin was nearly empty so, after spooning a bit into the cup, I got the fresh jar of coffee out of the cupboard. I boiled the kettle and promptly poured hot water straight into the coffee tin, missing the cup totally and wasting 200g of Maxwell house coffee granules.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #157 on: 31 May, 2016, 09:14:36 am »
I've done similar with a full tea caddy  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

red marley

« Reply #158 on: 31 May, 2016, 09:15:14 am »
...wasting 200g of Maxwell house coffee granules.

Oh, at least there was some good news then.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #159 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:36:55 pm »
It was a pretty strong brew but I put a lot of milk in.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #160 on: 05 June, 2016, 12:09:42 pm »
I spent a lovely half hour in Redcar Minor Injuries Unit (they were all lovely) ascertaining that yes, I've probably cracked a rib, and getting some drugs.

A moment's inattention, touched wheels with the rider in front, all over the road. Luckily my (not insubstantial) right boob bore the brunt of the impact.

Ouch.

Pictures: clicky

ElyDave

« Reply #161 on: 05 June, 2016, 12:14:27 pm »
Oh dear, could have been a lot worse though. Yes.

« Reply #162 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:47:08 pm »
I spent a lovely half hour in Redcar Minor Injuries Unit (they were all lovely) ascertaining that yes, I've probably cracked a rib, and getting some drugs.

A moment's inattention, touched wheels with the rider in front, all over the road. Luckily my (not insubstantial) right boob bore the brunt of the impact.

Ouch.

Pictures: clicky
A half hour! You got seen in a half hour!
Flipping heck, next time I hurt myself I'll get someone to drive me to Redcar, it will be quicker than waiting to be seen at York.
I've heard cracked ribs are a bit relentlessly painful. There be colourful bruises?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #163 on: 06 June, 2016, 05:29:33 pm »
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was seen in about 5 minutes and out within half an hour.

A disappointing absence of bruising, too. Not that I'd be sharing pictures of my right boob with many people  mind.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #164 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:09:44 pm »
In that case never mind York, driving from Bristol would be quicker than waiting at the BRI!

Heal well, fboab. Although IME ribs don't.  :(
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #165 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:19:58 pm »
... Not that I'd be sharing pictures of my right boob with many people  mind.

[ barely manages to resist the temptation to post the obvious follow-up question ]
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #166 on: 07 June, 2016, 07:56:33 am »
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was seen in about 5 minutes and out within half an hour.

That is incredible.
When I went into York at 7am with a very obviously, very z-shaped broken arm, it was 2.5 hours before I was seen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Chris S

« Reply #167 on: 07 June, 2016, 10:06:59 am »
It's an excellent facility.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-24442608

A guy in the waiting room (actually, the ONLY other person in the waiting room when we got there - WTF?!) reckoned they were going to close it down, despite it being only six years old; but having looked into it, I think he was a little confused. Building the Redcar Minor Injuries unit allowed them to close the units at Brotton and Guisborough.

It was unlike any hospital visit I've ever had. Not only was it brief, and excellent - the car park was free!

« Reply #168 on: 01 August, 2016, 02:07:16 pm »
I've only just realised that Strava shows you your speed in minutes per km.

I thought it was kph and could not work out why I was getting slower and slower when out jogging. I felt I was going faster and I was trying hard. It just didn't make sense.

I'm such a fecking div
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #169 on: 01 August, 2016, 03:38:33 pm »
I have never had Strava but was taught to think of speed/velocity as distance/time. Time/distance would turn me upside-down so I don't think you're a div.

There again my Audax mind sometimes worked on 2-4 minutes per kilometre...

« Reply #170 on: 01 August, 2016, 04:14:02 pm »
Runners usually count minutes per distance - but I'm used to minutes per mile. Strava was showing it per km as 6.21/km but my poor reading eyesight meant I missed the /

However I am really a div because I should have worked out that taking less time to do the same route meant I was going faster . . .

A reasonable pace for a slow runner like me is 8min per mile - which happens to be 5min per km. I'm nearly managing that, down to 5:25, which is a lot better than 6:31. I'm trying to bank some fitness before op in Sept.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #171 on: 03 August, 2016, 09:37:21 am »
Put a pizza in the oven last night for tea. Got it out and realised I had forgotten to take the polystyrene disc of the bottom first.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #172 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:36:29 am »
Put a pizza in the oven last night for tea. Got it out and realised I had forgotten to take the polystyrene disc of the bottom first.

They don't taste the same like that, do they. :sick:

DAHIKT :-[
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ElyDave

« Reply #173 on: 03 August, 2016, 10:49:30 am »

my sister once did that with a chicken, forgot to take the elastic off the legs  :sick:

« Reply #174 on: 03 August, 2016, 05:55:26 pm »
Pizza was surprisingly OK.  The disk hadn't stuck to the pizza at all but had formed a 1 micron thick layer over the silicon pizza rack I was cooking it on. New rack needed I thought but a quick flex of the rack and it all peeled off in one go like sunburnt skin.
I'm going to die painfully in the near future for eating that pizza aren't I ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.