Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 436295 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #375 on: 08 May, 2017, 05:38:04 pm »
Given that fines have just gone up you might consider the naughty driver course good value.  Instead of a fixed penalty you can now potentially face a fine of 50% of your (gross) weekly salary for a Band C offence
https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/motoring/cars/using/the-uks-new-speeding-fines-explained.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #376 on: 11 May, 2017, 07:13:22 pm »
Including the £26-worth of unleaded I put in, it cost me £210! Hopefully a mistake you make once! Fortunately, no lasting damage to the car appears to have occurred.
I have just replaced the fuel cap on my car. The old one was labelled 'Unleaded', which is why I was such a div. It now says 'Diesel'. Quite why the car had the wrong cap is a mystery only the former owner could answer.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #377 on: 13 May, 2017, 10:31:01 pm »
Top Tip: When you do some work on your bike that includes unscrewing the nuts and removing the front wheel, make sure you tighten the nuts back up properly with your spanner before riding the bike down to the shops.

That made for a very tentative ride home when I discovered what the wobble was :-[
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #378 on: 14 May, 2017, 09:11:28 am »
Ah, so its your fault that all bikes have been ruined by the addition of lawyers lips.  ;)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #379 on: 14 May, 2017, 11:03:35 am »
Not actually me being a div, but I loved this story so much when I heard it last night, I thought I'd share it.

My local pub landlord grew up on a farm and, as a young man, would make extra pocket money by working evenings in a pub and by offering farm sitting services.
One day he was booked to cover the early morning milking on a farm a few miles away, and it was arranged that, as was normal because the farmer would be away, he would sleep in the house the night before.

He mentioned this to his boss in the pub, told him he needed to get away early that evening as he had to get up very early.  His concern was that he'd forgotten to bring a torch with him.  His boss told him not to worry as he could sort that out for him.  He then reappeared from the pub cellar with a candle on a saucer.

Undeterred, my friend set off late at night from the pub and cycled some miles to the farm.  When he got there however, he could not find the keys in the out-house as arranged.  He spent a long time searching other likely buildings with his candle, but to no avail.

By now it was well after midnight and he was desperate to get his head down for the few short hours before milking and eventually managed to force a small downstairs window.  He crept up the stairs with the remains of his candle, only for a door at the top to be flung open by a shotgun wielding farmer.

He was a day too early.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

fuzzy

« Reply #380 on: 14 May, 2017, 11:38:53 pm »
I have suffered an astronomy injury :-[

After dismounting the scope I thought I would unlock the mount so that the counterweights didn't stress the mechanism. Scope in one hand, I reached back to turn one of the locking levers, completely filling to appreciate the effect horizontal counterweights would have on the mount once free- until the rotating mount topped my fingertip. The weight of 9kg of iron trapping a fingertip between two corners makes one bruise and swear and dance around a bit.........

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #381 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:30:14 am »
I have suffered an astronomy injury :-[

After dismounting the scope I thought I would unlock the mount so that the counterweights didn't stress the mechanism. Scope in one hand, I reached back to turn one of the locking levers, completely filling to appreciate the effect horizontal counterweights would have on the mount once free- until the rotating mount topped my fingertip. The weight of 9kg of iron trapping a fingertip between two corners makes one bruise and swear and dance around a bit.........

You are not alone...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #382 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:41:03 am »
Quote from: Gerard Hofnung
...and I met the barrel of bricks on its way down..
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #383 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:42:45 am »
I have, remarkably enough, a cycling related injury.

As we were putting the Dawes tandem away after fettling, we knocked over the Rennkompressor, and the handle struck my little toe.

Still hurts enough this morning to put me off riding in :(
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #384 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:48:50 am »
Firstly I re-installed and tightened the bottom bracket before I realised that I'd forgotten a spacer, then when I reattached the crank spindle to the I put it so the cranks were about 150o from each other

citoyen

« Reply #385 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:21:50 pm »
when I reattached the crank spindle to the I put it so the cranks were about 150o from each other

Chapeau. I've done that with square taper cranks before. Didn't think it was even possible with more modern types - don't they have splines and stuff to prevent such silliness?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #386 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:27:30 pm »
when I reattached the crank spindle to the I put it so the cranks were about 150o from each other

Chapeau. I've done that with square taper cranks before. Didn't think it was even possible with more modern types - don't they have splines and stuff to prevent such silliness?

It's a Surly crank. The non-drive side has one wider spline so that it can only be put on the right. That, of course, assumes that you have fitted the axle into the spider correctly. The drive end is also splined but allows about 16 possible orientations as the splines are identical...

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #387 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:20:09 pm »

Chapeau. I've done that with square taper cranks before.

If you managed that with a square taper crank something was quite spectacularly wrong. With a square taper I thought that the only options were: completely right (180o), completely wrong (0o), and bang in between the two (90o).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #388 on: 16 May, 2017, 04:11:13 pm »

If you managed that with a square taper crank something was quite spectacularly wrong. With a square taper I thought that the only options were: completely right (180o), completely wrong (0o), and bang in between the two (90o).

I've almost done it. Bought (or nearly bought) a replacement LH crank.  The replacement had a square hole, the sides of which were parallel with the sides of the crank. The original had a square hole, the sides of which were at 45 degrees to the sides of the crank IYSWIM.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #389 on: 16 May, 2017, 09:21:48 pm »
I got chased by a goose today, while out running.  I failed to notice it's chicks until the bloody thing was flapping at my face and hissing like a cobra.  "fuck off goose" seemed to do the trick
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

« Reply #390 on: 16 May, 2017, 10:02:11 pm »

Ha! I was thinking general principles rather than specific angles.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #391 on: 18 May, 2017, 10:21:05 am »

I've almost done it. Bought (or nearly bought) a replacement LH crank.  The replacement had a square hole, the sides of which were parallel with the sides of the crank. The original had a square hole, the sides of which were at 45 degrees to the sides of the crank IYSWIM.

I hadn't realised that the crank holes could be orientated differently. So that would give you 45o, 135o, 225o and 315o?

(Someone will check my working).
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #392 on: 20 May, 2017, 11:27:14 am »
Adapted an old herb rack to take my collection of planes, adding a bar to the top back so that it would hook onto the edge of the sheet of chipboard on the workshop wall.  As I was putting in the screws to tie it back I realized that I hadn't left enough room to drop out the fluorescent tube above next time it fails. ???

Then realized that I could still drop it out at the far end and pull it out of the fitting. Not so dumb after all..?

Looking at it with the planes in, though, I decided it'll be more comfortable to use if I drop it 10-15 cm anyway. But then, the bar on the back will be in the wrong place, and it's glued & screwed. ??? twice.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #393 on: 20 May, 2017, 12:41:24 pm »
Fixed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #394 on: 22 May, 2017, 09:57:51 am »
When I got back from the boat mooring yesterday (4 hours of lying on a metal grating pontoon angle-grinding, welding, painting and other assorting thingings), I didn't lock the car.

I also left the key in the car door.

Fortunately it was still there this morning.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #395 on: 22 May, 2017, 10:54:55 am »
redux

Repeat after me:
"I must not weld in a T shirt"

Guess who has a sunburnt arm?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #396 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:55:58 pm »
redux

Repeat after me:
"I must not weld in a T shirt"

Similarly,  "I really ought to remember to put on  sleeved top rather than a polo shirt when starting up an twin glow engined rc model aeroplane on my test stand (so the aeroplane is at waist height)".

Think what it would have been like if you'd got a bit too close after the engine started rather than just spinning on the starter.  Only needed a plaster on the soft inner arm this time. Don't you remember that you've done this before?  Getting older sucks......

citoyen

« Reply #397 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:58:37 pm »

Me. Which is what you get if you spend all weekend out on your bike but don't remember to apply suncream often enough.

There's also a nice angry red patch on my thigh, because sometimes it doesn't occur to me to apply the cream all the way up to the hem of my shorts.

Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #398 on: 22 May, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »
I've got a black eye where the toilet lid fell on my face when I was cleaning the toilet.
That's pretty fecking divvy, but the true divvidom was not having a good convincing lie ready when my oppo asked how I did it and having to tell the truth.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #399 on: 22 May, 2017, 07:24:07 pm »
^ classic!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.