Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 437264 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #500 on: 30 July, 2017, 06:45:37 pm »
Yes, but well oiled.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #501 on: 06 August, 2017, 07:55:50 am »
Model flying:
Start to rig glider in the Isle of Man and realise the tailplane is back in Hull..

Hand starting a reluctant model aero engine, flick, flick, flick (a few minutes of this..) flick, vrrrrrrrrrrrrm, flick, OW! Dagnabbit, after all that I've just stopped the thing with my finger  >:(

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #502 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:01:57 am »
Sanding a bridge to lower the action on my mandola. That top "looks" flat, I'll just sand it flat. There's about a 2mm curve :facepalm:  Much sanding later and it's fitted.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #503 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:02:26 am »
Model flying:
Hand starting a reluctant model aero engine, flick, flick, flick (a few minutes of this..) flick, vrrrrrrrrrrrrm, flick, OW! Dagnabbit, after all that I've just stopped the thing with my finger  >:(

Ah, that's OK then.  Not just me........

« Reply #504 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:43:51 am »
...a bit of hot water, a hot air gun mild persuasion and they are now unwarped.  I just need them to dry out to see if they stay like that.

They didn't.  Have now taught them a lesson by making them into shelving.

And made new ones.
Move Faster and Bake Things

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #505 on: 06 August, 2017, 10:40:45 am »
Model flying:

Ah, that's OK then.  Not just me........
Rubber powered models.  It's the way forward I tell you. :)

On saving fingertips; last time I was across at Acle there was a chap starting his ICEs with a bench rigged Hucks Starter affair, sans Model T.  Seemed much safer to me.  I did wonder if it would be possible to jury-rig something similar from a cheapo battery drill.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #506 on: 06 August, 2017, 01:35:29 pm »
Stood waiting for a bus in Cyprus

Me: ooh, that looks like a prickly pear cactus, I bet they taste better than at home, they look ripe.
Wander over, wife follows
Two prickly pears later, alongside lots of "be careful" with daughter saying "why are you doing that?"
Spent most of the day since then pulling spines out of my fingers
Prickly pears tasted great though.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #507 on: 06 August, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »
E.D. - Ouch!

Ok, sprayed myself with midge repellent from the little tin on the bookshelf. It didn't seem to smell as bad this time. Because it was shoe stretcher spray. Fortunately I did not develop bloodhound-like droopy features as a result. Something frightened the midges off, though.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #508 on: 06 August, 2017, 10:20:35 pm »
On saving fingertips; last time I was across at Acle there was a chap starting his ICEs with a bench rigged Hucks Starter affair, sans Model T.  Seemed much safer to me.  I did wonder if it would be possible to jury-rig something similar from a cheapo battery drill.

Seen that done way back in the 1990s.  Cheapo battery drills are much improved since then...

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #509 on: 07 August, 2017, 08:15:42 am »

Seen that done way back in the 1990s.  Cheapo battery drills are much improved since then...

We have electric starters now.  Motor with a big ali cup on the end, lined with a rubber insert.  Strap a 14V Lipo to it and it keeps your fingers out of the way.  I will confess, however, to restarting a dead but warm engine by hand occasionally......

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #510 on: 07 August, 2017, 10:56:46 am »
Shortly after I fired up my PC this morning it made a noise like an 8" floppy drive hitting a bad sector - try saying awwwwwwwwk on a indrawn breath and you'll be close, if you don't swallow your tonsils. Whoops, I thought. Disk crash impending, I thought.  So I scheduled full checks on both my drives and restarted.  CHKDSK started on the D: drive (pictures, cycling routes & stats, web sites), and the Sound creaked out again immediately.

Half an hour later I happened to look down at the front of the machine and noticed that the illuminated fan-cum-dust-impeller, which hasn't worked for years and is superfluous anyway (dust gets in without it) was attempting to turn, and making the Sound as it did so. I could prompt it to do so by tapping it with my finger-tips: awwwwwwk every time.

You can't interrupt CHKDSK (well, you can switch off but doing that in the middle of a Process feels like sacrilege), so I sat there for the next 90 minutes watching the figures crawl round until I could dive in with a rigid digit and stop it doing C: as well.

How to waste a morning and end up feeling like a tw@.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #511 on: 07 August, 2017, 02:17:32 pm »
Better than losing data, thobut.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #512 on: 07 August, 2017, 03:01:15 pm »
Ain't it the trooth?  I really should open the casing and disconnect the fan - it has to be doing something evil with juice flowing in the windings when the motor won't turn - but (a) it's got pretty blue lights in and (b) ICBA.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #513 on: 07 August, 2017, 08:53:35 pm »
We have electric starters now.  Motor with a big ali cup on the end, lined with a rubber insert...
That's the bunny.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #514 on: 08 August, 2017, 09:24:19 pm »
I have burnt my face.  :(
Cooking a couple of lamb steaks on Friday.  I had put way too much oil in the pan.  When I turned one of them over it splashed full on hot oil onto my face. (Thank dog for spectacles)
"Ow", I thought, and carried on with the tasks in hand.

Should have cooled the affected areas immediately, but I didn't.  I now have a few very unsightly burn marks on various parts of the old beautiful fizzog.  And they hurt.  And they're getting worse.
Bugger

Well, they did get pretty horrific looking,  but this evening the last scab came off and no scars.  :D
You'll all be pleased to hear that I am as beautiful as ever.   8)
Lopsided moustache more or less recovered too.   :thumbsup:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #515 on: 11 August, 2017, 10:23:05 pm »
Spent a couple of hours trying to add an iscsi NAS to our VMWare Hosts as a datastore. Just could not get it to work. After much self doubt and "But I've done this plenty of times" I eventually twigged that I had been connecting to the admin GUI on the NAS just fine but of course the target was being presented on the bonded interface on a different subnet. Which wasn't plugged in.
IDIOT!!

This is what happens when you have to take support calls while fettling stuff.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #516 on: 14 August, 2017, 09:57:48 pm »
Humm.

For various reasons, I've been swapping wheels between various bikes.
The wheel that came off my commuter bike was quite manky, and the cassette was very manky.
So before re-fitting the cassette to the replacement wheel, I decided to clean it up in the tray of diesel I use for such things.
The diesel is over-due for replacement, being dark black and totally opaque.

After finishing the fettling session, I go have a bath.
In the bath, I manage to convince myself I've missed the 10-spd spacer, and it's still sitting in the sludge at the bottom of the cleaning tray.
So I get dressed, go back down to the garage and guddle about in the diesel.
Nothing.

I'm now stinking of diesel again, and I've just had a bath :-(
Then I notice that a simple visual inspection of the clean wheel on the bike would have shown the spacer as present and correct, so my guddling about in dirty diesel was totally un-necessary.

« Reply #517 on: 14 August, 2017, 10:40:18 pm »
Fitting wall bracket for TV.

We want it to be able to fold away into corner, which means it needs to swing above window ledge. I bolt the bracket to the TV. Manage to hold in air one-handed so it is in 'folded' position over window ledge and mark bracket top against wall.

Unbolt TV from bracket, drill 4x10mm holes in wall, spraying dust all over room. Fit bracket to wall, bolt TV to bracket.

Then realise that bracket enables TV to swivel - and when I had it over the window ledge it wasn't horizontal. When horizontal it is now 12mm too low to fit over window ledge.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

essexian

« Reply #518 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:19:39 pm »
CBH is away again looking after her "Aged Mum" at her holiday home down in the West Country so I have been left alone with just the cats and myself to feed. The cats are easy to feed: three pieces of white fish for breakfast, a bag of frozen prawns (unfrozen of course) for lunch, three tins of cat food for whenever they are hungry and several pieces of boiled chicken for tea.

Me, well while I like cooking, frankly after a day at work, I can't be bothered to do anything complicated so I tend to live on salads, jacket potatoes and or the odd chippy supper. However, tonight I fancied a curry but rather than make it, or get a take away, I purchased some ready made stuff from Tescos which is ready to re-heat and eat. I am not a big fan of ready meal as they are expensive and normally full of salt/sugar, two things I try to avoid.

Well that was the plan.....Sadly it didn't turn out that way and my task now before I eat is to clean the Aloo Sag I dropped into the washing machine. Little did I know that the plastic container the foodstuff was held in would not take heating in the microwave, despite the fact that the cooking instructions suggested it would. I should have put the food in a bowl and used that but sadly, I wanted to avoid doing the washing up.

I think from now on until CBH returns on Friday, I will stick to salads... :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #519 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:31:45 pm »
I failed to submit advance notice in writing to the Red Baron's front derailleur for use of the granny ring on a short but steep climb, jammed the chain, rolled to a stop and fell over sideways in slow motion.

One grazed elbow, no witnesses.   :-[

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #520 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:38:05 pm »
Div.   ;)

How's the Baron?
Milk please, no sugar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #521 on: 12 September, 2017, 06:57:18 pm »
Minor accumulation of mud on the rack bag.

ian

« Reply #522 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:59:39 pm »
I was supposed to be accompanying my wife to the theatre next week. Except I appear to be doing so from seat 7A of an aeroplane. Slow painful death. It'll be worse than even BA can mete out.

I am sure I checked my calendar. Some idiot didn't account for flying out the evening before the meeting.

« Reply #523 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »
I've just ground some fresh coffee ....... all over my kitchen floor.      I was standing there cranking away on the Porlex & wondered what I could feel landing on my bare feet....   

Top Tip , always check that you've put the receptacle cylinder thingy in place before you start grinding  :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #524 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:41:10 am »
I failed to submit advance notice in writing to the Red Baron's front derailleur for use of the granny ring on a short but steep climb, jammed the chain, rolled to a stop and fell over sideways in slow motion.

One grazed elbow, no witnesses.   :-[

At least no witnesses.

Last time I had a heel/front wheel interface on a right hand T-juntion, it resulted in the stem slipping on the steerer and me wondering WTF? as I tried to go in a straight line.  Plenty of witnesses to the div on the funny bike
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens