Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 436277 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #1250 on: 14 February, 2019, 08:43:28 pm »
There was the time I was on a flight from Aberdeen to Norwich

"Welcome to this BMI flight to Norwich" said the stewardess

Bloke at the back stands up
"I'm supposed to be going to Manchester"

HTF he'd got that far with a Manchester boarding pass I have no idea
One of my colleagues did that on an Eastern Airways flight.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1252 on: 14 February, 2019, 09:14:55 pm »

At ABZ, being told your flight is 'boarding now' is just a fiction.
You are just ( in priority order! ) passed through the boarding gate into a long corridor where you mingle with everyone else, including other flights, whose planes are also not ready to board either.

When one flight becomes *actually* ready to board, then the entire mingled crowd moves forward. It's up to the over-stretched ground crew to actually check your boarding pass.
Unsurprisingly, this sometimes fails.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1253 on: 14 February, 2019, 10:02:35 pm »
My sister-in-law once phoned a rail company to ask the price of a ticket between Euston and Piccadilly.

"30p" came the reply.

It was shortly after this that my s-i-l learned that there is a Piccadilly station in London.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1254 on: 14 February, 2019, 10:09:59 pm »
Ah, I once had a Kentish ticket office bod sell me a ticket to Bromley South instead of Romiley (which I was in the habit of spelling out, because people south of Watford don't know about Stockport[1]).  Fortunately I was paying attention and queried the suspiciously low fare before getting anywhere near a train.

[1] To be fair, why would you need to know about Stockport when you have actual Watford?  They perform the same basic function.

« Reply #1255 on: 14 February, 2019, 10:15:38 pm »
Many a tourist arrives at Abbey Road station on the Docklands Light Railway seeking "the" zebra crossing.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1256 on: 14 February, 2019, 10:36:11 pm »

You are just ( in priority order! ) passed through the boarding gate into a long corridor where you mingle with everyone else, including other flights, whose planes are also not ready to board either.

When one flight becomes *actually* ready to board, then the entire mingled crowd moves forward. It's up to the over-stretched ground crew to actually check your boarding pass.

Only partly true these days, although the current "improvement works" are challenging.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1257 on: 15 February, 2019, 09:28:11 am »

I recall (sometime in the early '80's I guess) a time when there were only two gates at ABZ. This day there were two planes. Gate A passengers had to walk to the plane opposite Gate B, and vice versa. At the same time.  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1258 on: 15 February, 2019, 09:32:23 am »
[1] To be fair, why would you need to know about Stockport when you have actual Watford?  They perform the same basic function.
I'm such a fecking div for reading this with a mouthful of tea.

::-) :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1259 on: 15 February, 2019, 09:37:28 am »
While we are talking about Stockport, it looks a lot like Southport*

* on motorway signs in the dark  :-[
It is simpler than it looks.

fuzzy

« Reply #1260 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:27:22 am »
A many of years ago, Mrs F and I with accompanying Smalls were going to That London for education (museums, zoo ect.). We queued and queued at the ticket office and finally got tickets. Whilst doing this we heard a train arrive. We rushed to then platforms and saw a train with 'Marylebone' on the destination sign at the back of the cab. We boarded and then thought WTF? as the train set of towards Birmingham.

It transpired that the 'Marylebone' destination was on the front of the train and the driver forgot to change it :facepalm:

essexian

« Reply #1261 on: 15 February, 2019, 11:33:40 am »
Once...many moons ago (must be around 1988? I was about to move to the Midlands), I ran down the ramp and onto Wellington Railway station and jumped onto a train which was leaving slamming the door behind me.... This caused the driver to do an emergency stop.

However.... I almost at once discovered that the train was heading to Shrewsbury and not back towards Wolverhampton has I had hoped, so I opened the door and jumped off causing the driver to do another emergency stop.....

Several minutes of being told off by the driver and station manager later, I managed to explain that I was from that London and thus did not understand their strange country ways.....  :facepalm:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1262 on: 15 February, 2019, 02:53:18 pm »
Moving on from train divviness (though I could contribute several stories to that thread) to food divviness...

Last night's dinner involved whole roasted cherry tomatoes. I made the schoolboy error of picking up a tomato on my fork, popping it in my mouth, and biting into it, squirting a jet of molten lava at the roof and back of my mouth.

Oh well, I suppose it's a good excuse to restrict myself to an ice cream diet today.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #1263 on: 15 February, 2019, 03:28:48 pm »
I got on the train at Clapham Junction to Waterloo. Except it went the other way. In my defence, it did say Waterloo on the bloody train and I wasn't to know that was the back (and not the front) of the train. And the onboard system was dead (as it seemed were most of the passengers). "Does this train go to Waterloo?" Grunt.

So I had to change at Earlsfield. Good job it was a stopping service.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1264 on: 15 February, 2019, 05:07:06 pm »
Riding today, sun lowish on right, saw broad-shouldered figure looming through dazzle on edge of footpath, gave it a cheery bonjour then realized I had just said hello to a wheelie bin with a big bin bag on top.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1265 on: 16 February, 2019, 12:51:19 pm »
Riding today, sun lowish on right, saw broad-shouldered figure looming through dazzle on edge of footpath, gave it a cheery bonjour then realized I had just said hello to a wheelie bin with a big bin bag on top.

S'allright.  No-one saw you and you haven't told anyone......

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1266 on: 16 February, 2019, 01:12:53 pm »
It was quite a threatening bin-bag too. Better safe than sorry.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1267 on: 16 February, 2019, 01:39:19 pm »
It was quite a threatening bin-bag too. Better safe than sorry.

Sometimes they’ll attack you just for looking at them. Better not to engage with them or even make eye contact.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1268 on: 17 February, 2019, 11:35:52 am »
It was probably as scared of you as you were of it (or is that bears?).

ElyDave

« Reply #1269 on: 17 February, 2019, 01:53:11 pm »
At least you didn't wave at your own shadow, I'm sure nobody here would ever do that

« Reply #1270 on: 17 February, 2019, 06:48:44 pm »
At least you didn't wave at your own shadow, I'm sure nobody here would ever do that

Or apologise to your hair that you caught sight of out of the corner of your eye and thought it was a person.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1271 on: 17 February, 2019, 07:24:34 pm »

Or apologise to your hair that you caught sight of out of the corner of your eye and thought it was a person.

Ah yes, I've definitely never done that.

I suppose it's just a matter of time (and The Wrong Glasses) before I have an entire conversation with a hat.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1272 on: 17 February, 2019, 07:43:51 pm »

Ah yes, I've definitely never done that.

I suppose it's just a matter of time (and The Wrong Glasses) before I have an entire conversation with a hat.
Its not a problem until the hat/shadow/bin bag start answering back! ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

« Reply #1273 on: 23 February, 2019, 09:03:49 pm »
Square taper cranks, all the tools, screwed the extractor into the RHS,

"hmm, that's hard work, let's keep turning the allen key to the right"
"that's odd, looks like a thread appearing there"

FFS I forgot there is a bit on the front of the extractor that is for "wider" but is removerd for "normal"

Cue one buggered thread.  LHS removed easily. Went back and gingerly removed RHS - I think a new crankset is in my future.

Now to have a go at the main job which was the UN54 BB.  UN54 tool is huge, none of my adjustables or sockets fit, and my stilsons wont grip. FFS.  And yes, I did check I was turning in the right direction - LH thread on RHS if my other external BBs are anything to go by

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1274 on: 24 February, 2019, 05:22:48 pm »
I have a Cyclo BB tool with a 32mm hex. The removal method which works in extremis involves undoing the loose 'cup' first (usually the non-drive) and bolting the tool to the BB using the crank bolt and a penny washer. Then sit the frame on the floor upright (resting on the BB and the fork end) Attach a strongarm or breaker bar to the socket and fit it over the tool so the bar is at the same angle as the downtube. Place your foot on the breaker bar and push down.

The cast should be off in about six weeks...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.