Author Topic: Laurent Fignon fighting cancer  (Read 1878 times)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Laurent Fignon fighting cancer
« on: 13 June, 2009, 07:20:28 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Laurent Fignon fighting cancer
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2009, 08:03:44 pm »
What a shame that the article turns straight to drugs :(
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2009, 08:53:51 pm »
Well there's actually a good reason for it!

Laurent Fignon souffre d'un cancer - Cyclisme - L'EQUIPE.FR

In his book and recent interviews (viz my link) he admits to taking some products, which he has listed to his doctor(s); although he also adds that according to his doctor(s) there should be no link between what he took and his (advanced he said, sadly) condition.

I wish him all the best in his battle.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2009, 08:57:34 pm »
Beginning of the third paragraph of the article:

The cancer is unlikely to have been caused by the performance enhancing drugs he took during his career, according to his doctors.

So then, having established it's not connected, the whole of the latter half to two thirds of the article are about drugs.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2009, 08:59:59 pm »
Beginning of the third paragraph of the article:

The cancer is unlikely to have been caused by the performance enhancing drugs he took during his career, according to his doctors.

So then, having established it's not connected, the whole of the latter half to two thirds of the article are about drugs.

Okay; yet Fignon thought about it when diagnosed. He also wrote he was insouciant (reckless?) as a young rider and the tone of his quotes in L'Equipe reveals he may not be fully convinced by his doctor(s) I would suggest (I don't agree it is "established" or not). Note that I like him... But if his own concerns were linked to drug taking you cannot blame the journalist...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 13 June, 2009, 10:47:57 pm »
Le Blaireau isn't happy. Being a contemporary of Fignon, and Fignon saying apparently saying in his book that they were all at it.

« Reply #6 on: 13 June, 2009, 11:42:38 pm »
I have just read Rouleur 13:

http://www.rouleur.cc/recent-features/240-previewissue13

Fantastic read...possibly a sad ending.  ???

« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2009, 08:42:09 am »
Interview:
Stade 2 - France 2

He doesn't like how quick the media have been at mixing doping and his illness. However he also says that he explained in great detail what "he had done" during his career but stress that according to his doctor(s) there was no link; although he says it could be a "fait aggravant" (something that could make his case worse).

He sounds in good spirit though! That is good.  :thumbsup:

He is rather articulate too. Very good interview; very, very good.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2009, 09:39:43 am »
He's always been very articulate - his nickname was 'The Professor', but that hasn't come across because of his legendary poor relationship with the press.
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 16 June, 2009, 05:47:40 pm »

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2009, 06:29:55 pm »
Is this bit actually true? (for non-Francophones, it says studies prove that EPO - which Fignon says he's never taken - stimulates tumour cells and steroids like testosterone and overdoses of vitamins also increase the risk of cancer).

En revanche, des études ont prouvé que l'érythropoïétine - que Laurent Fignon assure n'avoir jamais prise - peut stimuler l'accroissement des cellules tumorales. Les anabolisants comme la testostérone ou les vitamines surdosées dans les compléments alimentaires peuvent aussi augmenter les risques de cancer.

There's other stuff in the article that sounds like Bad Science to me.  Sure, Anquetil died from stomach cancer but he had an appalling (from a health point of view) diet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2009, 10:32:23 pm »
Le Monde tends to be pretty rigourous I would say; it is here again. You've cut or missed the references and/or quote attributed to Professeur David Khayat, from the Institut du cancer and numbers from l'Institut de veille sanitaire, both of which look serious enough bodies to me with the relevant expertise/numbers to pass comments. Le Monde supports its statements. The rest is for the most part relating what riders have admitted to themselves.

Anquetil's condition has often been linked to his "past", so what is related here is not news really; not to his legendary diet of champagne and pheasant (only)!