Author Topic: Sorting out my bikes (very cheaply)  (Read 5829 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Sorting out my bikes (very cheaply)
« Reply #25 on: 14 June, 2008, 01:55:14 pm »
Well thanks again Polar Bear, I finally had the time to put the crank set onto Dirty Pia. Only to find that the chain rings will touching the frame when I tighten the crank to the BB :(

New one (Polar Bear's)

The old one

(both pictures are taken when the cranks are just resting on the BB)

The edge of the inside of the crank arm on my old crank set lines up with the inside of my granny ring but on the new ones the inside of the crank arms lines up with the middle ring, if you are still with me.

I was thinking that I could put the chain rings from my old cranks onto the new ones only the find that the the holes do not fit.

So the question is what chain set should I start to save up for ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #26 on: 14 June, 2008, 01:58:24 pm »
If the chainset is good, it will be cheaper to replace the BB with one that puts the chainset further outboard.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 14 June, 2008, 02:00:28 pm »
If the chainline was correct before, it is way out with the new cranks.  As suggested above, you need a longer BB to get clearance *and* fix the chainline.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #28 on: 14 June, 2008, 02:29:10 pm »
Woolypigs, I mentioned twice in this thread that you need to check what bottom bracket is required before fitting any different chainset.   You have wasted some of your time by missing this.

Different chainsets have different shapes.  This means that a different BB can be required to provide the same clearance/chainline on the same bike.  The safe bet is to go with the default axle length that the chainset manufacturer recommends.  So try that.  Good luck.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #29 on: 14 June, 2008, 03:42:31 pm »
Is the frame steel? if so you could "manipulate" it a bit with a hammer to get the necessay clearance.

I do have the set of 170mm cranks that I took off my Langster. They are 130mm BCD and in reasonable condition. You could give them a go if that helps.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #30 on: 15 June, 2008, 12:06:29 pm »
Is the frame steel?

No, aluminium.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #31 on: 01 July, 2008, 11:41:42 pm »
I got hold of a spacer for the bottom bracket and now the chain set fits just fine, saved me for investing in a new BB. So now both my bikes are ridable again.

Though just have to figure out how to get a good seating position on Dirty Pia as she causes my shoulders to hurt, might go and have talk with the The Bike Whisperer - experienced, qualified, friendly - helping you achieve your cycling goals to see if they can help me out.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #32 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:48:52 am »
I got hold of a spacer for the bottom bracket and now the chain set fits just fine, saved me for investing in a new BB. So now both my bikes are ridable again.

Though just have to figure out how to get a good seating position on Dirty Pia as she causes my shoulders to hurt, might go and have talk with the The Bike Whisperer - experienced, qualified, friendly - helping you achieve your cycling goals to see if they can help me out.

Wish I'd read this ages ago.

I ride a mtb/touring frame, adapted to drops.

For complete wheels, it is very hard to beat Merlin cycles. A Deore XT hub and Mavic XM719 rim set me back £50. That's a very very good rim for heavy use.

As for your riding position, you need to do something about the straight back. It's all very well on a sit-up bike, but no good if you are going low on longer rides. Try cultivating a continuous curve from pelvis to shoulders. Roll your shoulders forward a bit, then they can flex back to absorb shock. Even better if you can get your forearms parallel to the road (which will make your triceps hurt for a while, but they'll adapt quickly).

I have a chainset with chain-retaining rings on either side. It's sugino, looks crap 'cause it's dull. Would polish up ok, and the ring has quite a bit of life in it. Would be good for a fixie.
<i>Marmite slave</i>