Author Topic: Headset bearings........help.  (Read 1555 times)

Gunner

Headset bearings........help.
« on: 01 July, 2008, 08:44:33 pm »
Had to strip my headset on the Titanium Hardtail today, and the lower bearing cage was well shot, and I mean "WELL SHOT".  ::-) ::-)

It's a AHeadset, one and one, eighteenth. The only place I could manage to get to was the local Halfrauds for spares and they only had one pack of bearings in total, which happened to be for AHeadstet, but they said 5/32.

The cages/bearings looked very similiar so for just £2.99 with grease I bought them, but the cage fits over the steerer tube but doesn't want to sit in the "bearing race".

I've just popped the bearings out and put them in grease in to the bearing races old skool style and all seems O.K.

BUT..........quick question, what's the difference between 1/1/18 and 5/32

Re: Headset bearings........help.
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:47:56 pm »

BUT..........quick question, what's the difference between 1/1/18 and 5/32

What is 1 1/18 ? Do you mean 1 1/8 ? that's the diameter of the steerer. 5/32 is the diameter of the ball bearings.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:48:23 pm »
It's 1 1/8" (1.125 inches).  That's the nominal diameter of the steerer tube.  5/32" is the diameter of the ball bearings.

Edit: cross-post!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Gunner

« Reply #3 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:53:24 pm »
It's 1 1/8" (1.125 inches).  That's the nominal diameter of the steerer tube.  5/32" is the diameter of the ball bearings.

Edit: cross-post!

Right, I blieve I see.
The writing on the headset says "AHeadset 1.1/18th" so that is to fit a steerer tube, nothing really to do with the bearings.  :thumbsup:

bikenerd

« Reply #4 on: 01 July, 2008, 08:54:10 pm »
Unless it takes 1/8th of an inch ball bearings! :)
Edit: which I don't think it does.  Carry on!

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2008, 10:07:45 pm »
Have you used plenty of bearings? When I did this recently I read to nearly fill the races leaving a gap of just one bearing diameter. I think I used something like twice the number of widely spaced bearings that were in the original cages.