Author Topic: Road bike for a short woman!!  (Read 10043 times)

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
Re: Road bike for a short woman!!
« Reply #25 on: 02 July, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »
Paul

That is a beautifull bike..I wish I could persuade Mrs T to take up cycling again  O:-)

rr

« Reply #26 on: 03 July, 2008, 11:26:50 am »
I saw a really small giant SCR 2 in a shop, 650C wheels, but 165 cranks and £545

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #27 on: 03 July, 2008, 09:51:52 pm »
:(

The dolce broke today! The none-drive side crank had sheared off. The big grub screw going through the crank and into the hollow tube connected to the drive side crank had been cross threaded, and sheared out completely.

Thats a -1 for specialized so far.

« Reply #28 on: 03 July, 2008, 09:52:08 pm »
I saw a really small giant SCR 2 in a shop, 650C wheels, but 165 cranks and £545

C+ highly rated the WSD version of the SCR, IIRC it recieved an award in their annual round-up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:03:40 am »
Good grief!  That's not good... :(
Getting there...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #30 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:10:37 am »
Good grief!  That's not good... :(

I find C+ reviews quite good. ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:14:13 am »
I meant about the Dolce, ya daft wazzock! ;D
Getting there...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #32 on: 04 July, 2008, 10:59:12 am »
I meant about the Dolce, ya daft wazzock! ;D

Oh er I havnt been called a wazzock for years  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #33 on: 04 July, 2008, 01:31:43 pm »
Marna of this parish has a Condor Fratello (I think the 48cm version) - she's not that short, but she's shorter in terms of bike fit than her height would indicate!  They were also able to provide appropriate-sized levers etc etc.  Might be outside your budget, though.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
Re: Road bike for a short woman and learning new gears!!
« Reply #34 on: 07 July, 2008, 12:03:37 pm »
Paul. That is a beautifull bike..I wish I could persuade Mrs T to take up cycling again  O:-)
Well hopefully the new bike will increase her enjoyment, she met her new toy for the first time Saturday night.

Then before we had got 100 yards she had to show it off to the old man and his dog next door  ;D

Fortunately he approved, his opinion means a lot to her (and me) as he is arguably one of the best frame builders in England. Those of you who know Cliff Shrubb then yes that should read "Old Man and Brand new Dog"  ;D, he is called'Tommy' the Terrier, AKA 'Doggie', as usual when inbetween doggies Cliffy came back from Norfolk with a new one, he likes he ears waggled and a bit of fuss but is not to sure about cyclists; bit like Cliffy then!

We only did a short test ride, but her first impressions were how much more responsive it was compared to her old ATB. One thing she does miss is the gear lever indicators though, often ladies rely on those to know which gear they should and shouldn’t use.

With upmarket drop bar shifters though there are no such indicators, many do indeed struggle for a while but with patience they get there in the end. I note that often men and women seem to learn this in a much different way, where as many men relate to how the chain moves up and down the cassette and what they therefore need to do to trim the front mech’, ladies often seem to learn this in a more mathematical way, certain gear numbers can only be used with certain chain ring numbers, as such they can find it more difficult when changing from a bike with gear indicators to one without.

Paul_Smith
www.bikeplus.co.uk

« Reply #35 on: 07 July, 2008, 08:56:22 pm »
DEfinitely try before buying. Three years ago I was sold a SPecialized Hardrock MTB and took a while to realise that it was too small for me. I knew something was wrong but I hadn't cycled since student days and thought I had got old. When I toured Austria on a hired bike I knew what my problem with my own bike was. I decided on a Dutch tourer but, once again, at the shop I was given a 48cm frame. It seemed fine but when I tried a Gazelle at the shop in Oxford I was told that they only had the 52cm frame. I tried it anyway and realised that this was the size for me inspite of the surprise and disbelief expressed by the expert in the shop. Whilst I am 5'4'' and look small and stocky I am actually very long in the body and need the larger frame.

Paul Smith SRCC

• Surrey Road Cyling Club
  • 45+ years a club rider, 33+ years in cycle trade.
    • www.plsmith.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: 08 July, 2008, 12:40:05 pm »