General Category > The Knowledge

Out of touch - lighting

(1/4) > >>

French Waffles:
Returning to cycling after years away. Starting very slowly and very short distances - I am old, unfit and the environment is lumpy.

Where I live is rural, very rural, so the vast majority of my cycling will be narrow, winding French country roads and lanes.

I always have preferred the 'lit up like a Christmas tree' approach to lighting. I'd use lights not just when it's dark, but also if foggy or raining.

I am incredibly out of date as regards what is what with regards to lighting these days.

I haven't got a lot of money, so advice as to good value, visible, decent area of lighting in front, run time of at least four hours will be greatly appreciated.

Ta in advance.

Defblade:
I did a little comparison video the other day for cheap/sort-of-mid-range/good "be-seen" lights that I have. I think, in a pinch, you could use the Knog front light on solid to ride slowly in the dark.
The Knog lights are more expensive, but significantly the brightest, most visible, and in fixed+flash modes, give you the best of both worlds for being seen (flash grabs attention, solid gives positional and speed info to the viewer's eyes).
I ummed and ahhed for a while, then decided that if I was ever knocked off by not being seen, I'd likely be laying there wishing I'd spent the extra 30 quid on the Knogs...

https://youtu.be/8RzHuazQtYI

French Waffles:
Merci Defblade. I will take a look

Added..

Just had a look. Most instructive. Thanks.

igauk:
Having a reflector as part of a steady rear light helps drivers judge distance. I've a Spanninga Elips (based on a old Philips design). Busch and Muller Secula are good too. For flashing rear lights (good to have both steady and flash) look at Moon lights, I've a USB rechargable Moon Alcor.

Kim:
I thought flashing was verboten in French France?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version