Author Topic: RIP Roger Bannister  (Read 2876 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
Re: RIP Roger Bannister
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2018, 04:06:03 pm »
I am currently reading "The Perfect Mile" by Neil Bascomb.  Not only Bannisters story but John Landy and Wes Santee attempts to break the 4 minute mile as well.  A good read.
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2018, 04:10:07 pm »
I remember going with a school party to visit the Iffley Road track a couple of years after his run. Even as a teenager it was difficult to comprehend that a great achievement was reached at such and insignificant track.

RIP Roger your achievement inspired many others to their goals.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #3 on: 04 March, 2018, 04:50:23 pm »
Back in the early 80's I played rugby against Oxford Uni at Iffley Road.  As part of our warm up we had a jog around the next door running track, more than 4 minutes for the one lap methinks, let alone four!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 04 March, 2018, 05:12:04 pm »
I think he was the first athlete I was aware of.  Amazing that he did it with so little training.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 04 March, 2018, 06:07:22 pm »
The lovely thing about his achievement is that it can't be taken away.  He will always be the first.  Bitterly ironic that an eminent neurologist should succumb to Parkinson's.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:18:04 pm »
I think he was the first athlete I was aware of.  Amazing that he did it with so little training.
... which of course begs the question of how fast he COULD have run, if we parachuted a modern coach back to 1954!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 04 March, 2018, 07:59:31 pm »
Or modern doping!  :demon:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 05 March, 2018, 10:55:08 am »
Or modern doping!  :demon:
Are you saying that 1954 doping wasn't as good? Certainly detection was less sophisticated.

(The guy was a medical student, so would have had better access than the amateur-on-the-street to chemical aides. )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2018, 12:53:03 pm »
Along with Alexander Fleming he was one of the most famous allumni of St Marys Hospital; I was there when he named a 125 after the hospital at Paddington station (there is still a nameplate and a painting of the event on display somewhere)

He also indirectly left a legacy as half of Norfolk Place was restored to 1954 status by the BBC for the drama about his great sporting achievement