Author Topic: Frame Building Videos (Trike)  (Read 1299 times)

Frame Building Videos (Trike)
« on: 26 July, 2021, 10:36:47 am »
Decided a new post was the best  place for these eight You-Tube videos detailing frame building a tricycle
The first one (of course) includes the bottom bracket
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InVX_8owwRg

At 15:40 into video 3 the gert big  vernier comes out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBT3RONPf9E&t=11s

Re: Frame Building Videos (Trike)
« Reply #1 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:59:50 am »
Excellent Videos . I love it when Geoff is brazing on the water bottle cage fittings and gives it a clout with the torch ,  no messing about .  I also like his polishing department in his previous video . Is this frame heading to Durham  aiden.f ?
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #2 on: 26 July, 2021, 11:17:26 am »
I see that is frame number 99.  Mine is 44 built in Feb 2012 at which time his waiting list was approaching 12 months. So that works out at 5 frames a year plus loads of conversion axles heading for the paralympic market, plus loads of repair and modification work for elderly trikes.  He made me a pair of forks recently to replace broken ones in my hack trike, 4 weeks from me asking him and receiving the finished and painted forks.  Thanks Geoff!

« Reply #3 on: 26 July, 2021, 11:43:18 am »
 Did the new owner order the frame with monkeys blood or sprinkles . I am Frightened that the waiting list time will go up now that Geoff is a video star . I want to order a new trike . But do I go trendy disc and super compact 9 or 10  speed or mini Vs triple and 8 speed . Decent 8 speed stuff is getting really hard to come by so when will 9 & 10 components  be phased out . crystal ball time

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 26 July, 2021, 11:46:06 am »
9sp road is rare (except for cheap and cheerful) and 10sp road is not far behind. Gear shifters is the sticking point if you don’t want bar end levers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 26 July, 2021, 01:34:05 pm »
Confession time I'm 99. Who will be 100?
This one will be 11 speed cos as  LwaB sez that's the market. Front disk + mini V.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 26 July, 2021, 02:08:21 pm »
Interesting set of videos!  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2021, 02:16:35 pm »
I will have to put a frame deposit in soon but I have little idea what sort of trike I actually want.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2021, 02:48:19 pm »
Mine was a 60th birthday present to myself, but it still had to be different to my other trikes for me to pretend to justify it.  I went for a 750 axle versus 700 width on all my others, and a lower bottom bracket.  I certainly feel the difference/benefit that these two give me, but if I had storage problems I would have stuck with 700 so that it goes through doors more easily.  Of course I had a carrier so that it could be used for touring or not as needed.  Twin mini V brakes (Campag Veloce) work well, and I have ridden a couple of French diagonals on it while hauling camping kit, including channel to the med and back.  Taking the carrier off, I have used it to ride a few (very few) time trials and criterium events.

« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2021, 05:03:18 pm »
I am In the same boat need to put the name on list . New trike for my 60th birthday                                                                                                                                   
But so far its  635 forks / 725 frame.750mm  axel . I built a shed with double side doors many years a go with trikes in mind .painted in  BLVC 95 aconite  dark purple .                                             
Braze on fittings   for full size pump on seat stay , 3 bottle cages & rack but no rack at present .(I will use the old Carradice with Rixen & Klaul klick fit )                                                                                                                                                                                   
  Mudguard eyelets / fittings front and rear .
If I can find another  pair of kelly take offs.                                                                                                     
 Then its mini V brakes on the front forks with clearance for mudguards and 30/32mm tyres .                                                                                                           " Giant" contact 440 wide bars, Planet x cork bar tape , NOS shimano 600 brake levers & shimano gear levers on friction setting on the kelly's .
polished Spa cycles rd2  50/39/30 triple / square tapered bottom bracket .
Claris 8 speed mechs polished
12/ 28 HG 70 cassette   
NOS 105 polished front hub .                                                                                                                         
Kinlin ADHN polished rims.

« Reply #10 on: 26 July, 2021, 05:46:40 pm »

But so far its  635 forks / 725 frame.750mm 
Typo - that's 631 forks.  You might consider a lower bottom bracket.  Geoff's criterium special has such a low one that any toe down action could be hazardous.  Mine is 1/2" (from memory) lower than usual which means that with 170mm cranks all is well - but I need to be aware of pedal placement when mounting or dismounting speed bumps.
I built a shed with double side doors many years a go with trikes in mind
Me too.  Back in the 70s I checked I could get a tandem trike though the tall gate into the back yard of my first house.
but no rack at present
Remember that each rack is unique to the frame it was built for, so it is probably best to get one at the same time.
Then its mini V brakes on the front forks with clearance for mudguards and 30/32mm tyres .
Me too
50/39/30 triple / square tapered bottom bracket,12/ 28 cassette
Having no use for a gear higher than 90", which is all I ever used when racing, I have 12/28 10 speed with a chainset of 40/24 being a Campag Record triple with the outer replaced by a bash guard/dummy ring.  My hack trike is 8 speed with 44/36/24 and 13/26 which gives me pretty much the same range.

For a little while I have been fighting the urge to get another frame for my 70th at the end of next year.  I MUST resist!

« Reply #11 on: 26 July, 2021, 06:22:25 pm »
Colin, I am getting a small rack on this machine just a bag support with a loop underneath. You can just have the back part then the saddlebag self supports. The rack on trike #1 is camping kit size (and strength)

« Reply #12 on: 26 July, 2021, 09:31:04 pm »
You are of course correct tatanab I did mean 631 .                                                                                                     
  I am not sure about dropping the bottom bracket . I ride on 175mm cranks & the speed bumps around hear are getting crazy, plus I do like to ride were grass grows up the middle of the road & on my rogers I just clear the debris .
I should have realised that the rack mounts would change depending on the axel width & seat tube height  doh ! .
I have only used the rack on the  Rogers a couple of times, but trikes do make a good shopping trolley .
When I had the Claud Butler attached to the longstaff trike conversion I did try a 46 / 32   TA pro vis 5  chainset  &  8 speed  13/ 32 freewheel block . It worked well on paper but not in reality .
aiden f  I will have to pop over & have a look at  your new "speed machine" when you get it. The new style rack sounds interesting . I hope I will have stopped  hobbling around by then .

« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2021, 07:27:13 am »
I'm looking forward to watching these - thanks for sharing the link.

I tried to save the first couple of videos to a private framebuilding playlist I have, but apparently the ability to do this is switched off for "content made for kids". Is designating it child's content a deliberate thing, or something the algorithm [the algorithm programmers] has decided for itself based on use of the word tricycle?

« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2021, 11:08:32 am »
I'm sure a decision made by a machine.
Who knows what would have happened if Geoff had uploaded an  'Adult Tricycle' video  :facepalm: