Author Topic: Bear Bones 200 km 2016  (Read 10234 times)

Bear Bones 200 km 2016
« on: 12 October, 2016, 07:52:48 pm »
Here's my blog entry from the 2016 edition of the x-rated BB200 event.

http://littlegirlbunny.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/bearbones-200-2016.html
Does not play well with others

Re: Bear Bones 200 km 2016
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2016, 10:16:42 pm »
Thanks for the write up ... that's a pretty reflective post. Sounds to me like you could have done either the ride as you found it or the ride you had in your head, but both at once is pretty hard. It prompts me to reflect on my own riding ... I know I claim a lack of competitiveness too often for that to be the whole truth. Also, for what its worth, I think you took more photos than I do when I'm genuinely taking it easy - so thanks for that too!

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2016, 10:42:16 pm »
Yeah, thanks for the write-up and the pictures, rabbit.

I did a bit of the Kerry Ridgeway, on what I think must have been the day after you guys did did, and loved it!
I've spent a chunk of today cross-referencing daydreams with your ride report, strava tracks and gpxeditor, pondering what might be possible with a hybrid and some panniers.

Looks like there's some (non-competetive) fun can be had  :thumbsup:

Well done on your demon-fighting, getting around and for sitting with it long enough afterwards to write the post.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2016, 09:54:11 am »
A good read, thanks.

The interaction of enjoying the ride, pushing yourself, an external deadline etc etc  is an interesting topic. It's not often talked about; most internet posts are either fist-punching macho competitive stuff, or "I wasnt rushing, just enjoying the scenery". You'd think there was nothing in between!
Even the audaxers mostly play down the challenge/achievement in a typically British way (usually a good thing - we don't want to get too American, do we?? ).

For me the best riding experiences have been where the mix ends up just right. You certainly cant predict when that will happen, nor control it. Also, I think "long distance" rides - and your 20hours definitely qualifies IMO - always involve mood swings. That can mean your mood needle swinging back-and-forth past the sweet-spot several times in the same ride. It's not always due to setbacks, or successes, or the weather/terrain/views - I think often it's just our brain messing with us. Part of the joy is that when you have a low-spot you know there is usually time for the needle to swing back. In a 10mile timetrial, once you start hating it that is probably how you will finish!

(I'm in danger of rambling on for longer than you did, and I haven't ridden anywhere  so I better stop now.)

p.s. do you have a good shot of your fully-laden bike, showing the luggage properly? Your kit-list is interesting, I'd like to see how much space that really takes up.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:32:04 pm »
Ah thanks folks :)

I'm glad the write up has been so well received. You never know with a mememememe post!

I do take lots of photos when I am milling around on the MTB, although the good thing with being on an MTB and not a roadie is being able to ride for a very long time 1 handed. I have the camera in a pouch on my camelbak shoulder strap, so I can just whip it out and take photos on the fly if I want to, which is nice. I'm going to start throwing it in the top tube bag on the roadie as I rarely get photos when I'm audaxing.

Nikki - yes, lots of fun on a hybrid out that way I expect. There were a number of people on CX bikes and rigids on the BB200, I doubt there is much difference in that to riding a hybrid. Worth an explore with an OS map to be sure :)

I don't really have too many photos to be honest, but there is this one if it's any use? (Let me know if you can't see it!). There was loads of room left too.

This is my touring set up which is vastly more bulky.....

Does not play well with others

« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2016, 02:10:33 pm »
Nikki - yes, lots of fun on a hybrid out that way I expect. There were a number of people on CX bikes and rigids on the BB200, I doubt there is much difference in that to riding a hybrid. Worth an explore with an OS map to be sure :)

Good to hear!
I did a few hours criss-crossing Cannock Chase yesterday to test how knees, wrists and sense of humour hold up in the face of sustained bridleway. Haven't gone off the idea yet...