Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134363 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14125 on: 17 October, 2019, 10:33:39 pm »
s/Chapman/Hickman.  Colin Chapman would never have built something that solid or long-lived ;D

Right enough. He was working for Chapman at the time, sez Wiki; good thing Chapman didn't have dibs on his inventions.

---o0o---

Meanwhile I have been building the frames for my wall panelling, considerably slowed by the fact that it feels like work. This morning I've been chiselling out the corners of routed rebates to take oak ply but knocked off because MrsT made me a cuppa. Am also sick of all the music I have in the workshop & can't find the cassettes for HHGTTG. Did come up with Auntie's 1950s Journey Into Space but it hasn't got the same Marvin coefficient.

All available for free on the internet.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14126 on: 17 October, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »
Laced up a dynowheel for HK’s MTB commuter but will probably true it tomorrow.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14127 on: 18 October, 2019, 09:24:38 am »
s/Chapman/Hickman.  Colin Chapman would never have built something that solid or long-lived ;D

Right enough. He was working for Chapman at the time, sez Wiki; good thing Chapman didn't have dibs on his inventions.

---o0o---

Meanwhile I have been building the frames for my wall panelling, considerably slowed by the fact that it feels like work. This morning I've been chiselling out the corners of routed rebates to take oak ply but knocked off because MrsT made me a cuppa. Am also sick of all the music I have in the workshop & can't find the cassettes for HHGTTG. Did come up with Auntie's 1950s Journey Into Space but it hasn't got the same Marvin coefficient.

All available for free on the internet.

Ta. A gent OTP has since obliged.  :thumbsup:

---o0o---

Meanwhile, my little Katsu edge trimmer stank of overheated windings yesterday so I am puzzling over mods to my DIY router table to use my old Bosch router.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #14128 on: 18 October, 2019, 10:57:08 am »
I connected my Marantz NR12000 (2.1 channel AVR amplifier) to my TV. I placed the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers behind the TV.  Much better sound but poor stereo image. Its in the living room so sensible position of speakers is not allowed.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14129 on: 19 October, 2019, 12:55:23 pm »
Replaced the hinge screws on the shed door with security screws (otherwise a scrote can silently break in by removing the hinges, regardless of how good the lock is).  Also putting a battery PIR alarm in.

Sheds and garages tend to be targeted round here.  The garage is pretty secure as the side door is a modern multi-point locking uPVC effort and the up and over door is chained to an anchor point on the floor inside, which would require a lot of very noisy destruction to get to it with bolt cutters or a saw.  It's covered by the neighbour's CCTV anyway
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14130 on: 19 October, 2019, 10:55:15 pm »
Helped fix somebody else’s flat during today’s Cambridge Autumnal 200. It resulted in HK and I chatting at intervals through the day with a couple of interesting ladies. Hopefully we’ll see them again during some longer brevets.

« Reply #14131 on: 20 October, 2019, 11:09:05 am »
Cleaned the new steed, fitted a rack, ready for the traditional Autumn tour that never quite gets to the reunion.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14132 on: 20 October, 2019, 04:34:23 pm »
Another day of workshop fettling and anothe car full of stuff for the tip . . . . and I can feel a "For sale" listing coming on with stuff I had forgotten I had .... one just doesn't need 3 bar bags and 5 track pumps  :hand:

Rob

« Reply #14133 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:56:54 pm »
Shed fettling, from a pile of pallets into a ready-for-cladding (re-used feather edge) and roof.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14134 on: 20 October, 2019, 06:58:07 pm »
Helped a friend change a flat and later swapped the wornout front Durano Plus for a Marathon Plus. No dramas.

Bled the brakes in HK's Kinesis and fitted another set of front brake pads. Not sure if I’ve replaced the rear pads since she got the bike last September but didn’t need to today. Looks like I need to fit another chain and cassette to it later this week.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14135 on: 20 October, 2019, 08:23:24 pm »
de-skogged the road bike after yesterday's back lanes run around the fens, beet harvesting.  First outside ride since the REM.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14136 on: 21 October, 2019, 12:21:26 am »
Feeling quite pleased with myself after managing to reassemble a 10 speed indexed microshift bar end shifter after I made the mistake of fully disassembling it in attempt to convert it to a friction shifter over 3 years ago
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #14137 on: 21 October, 2019, 01:49:03 pm »
A hyperglide cassette to fit on an old uniglide hub... turned out to be a relatively quick and painless job.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14138 on: 21 October, 2019, 09:43:09 pm »
New shock absorbers onto the washing machine, using a selection of hand tools, a YouTube video and only a few Bad Swears.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #14139 on: 22 October, 2019, 12:17:02 am »
Two pendulum mantel clocks, one which just needed cleaning and oiling and the other where the chiming had gone buggerup, on disassembly it turned out to be a bent pin. I was feeling quite pleased with myself until when doing up the last screw, the (last) brass strap that holds the front and back together snapped at the screw hole. Cue multiple attempts to resolve, finishing in some top class bodgery involving a new chunk of brass and a blowtorch.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14140 on: 22 October, 2019, 08:40:09 am »
Around 25 years ago I fettled our old grandfather clock to chime again.  And unfettled it a week later.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14141 on: 22 October, 2019, 10:33:58 pm »
Note to self: remember you have a new front brake on your commuter tomorrow morning. Hopefully this is not a proto-feckin' div moment  :-\

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14142 on: 22 October, 2019, 11:05:14 pm »
Finished off the replacement dynowheel for HK’s MTB commuter. Just need to fit rim tape, tube and tyre and put it on the bike.

« Reply #14143 on: 23 October, 2019, 08:48:43 am »
Pingu, You have a new front brake !!
Rust never sleeps

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14144 on: 23 October, 2019, 09:30:07 am »
Pingu, You have a new front brake !!

:thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14145 on: 23 October, 2019, 09:40:50 am »
Unpacked my new router (the small Triton) and thought to myself "what kind of fecking div would make a video out of this"?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14146 on: 23 October, 2019, 08:33:57 pm »
Fitted an alarm and a better padlock to the shed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14147 on: 23 October, 2019, 08:52:28 pm »
Replaced the batteries in the mudguard taillight on my fixed. Fitted some SPD cleats to new shoes, replacing the ones retired after PBP.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14148 on: 23 October, 2019, 09:14:43 pm »
Tweaked some cleat positions.  Top tip:  Tecbond 213 is a better choice of hot glue for plugging cleat bolt heads than the otherwise excellent 261.  In this application, more stickier does not equal more better.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14149 on: 26 October, 2019, 01:06:58 pm »
Tensioned the chain on my fixed. Fitted new front wheel and brake pads to HK’s MTB commuter. Got closer to fitting SPD cleats to shoes that aren’t designed to take them. One shoe is ready to ride but some additional swearing is still required for the other.