Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 444844 times)

Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #4175 on: 04 January, 2024, 04:34:39 pm »
What do you use the lids for? I can't think of any occasion I've needed a lid on a mixing bowl. If I'm keeping something in it I usually need to cover the surface of whatever it is, to avoid skin/drying out.
They are just all-round useful.
Prepping a load of veg for cooking later? Lid on, in the fridge.
Etc
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Bluebottle

• Everybody's gotta be somewhere
« Reply #4176 on: 04 January, 2024, 06:21:39 pm »
Was meant to be working from home. Could not focus. Popped into work last thing to check for any leaks (it is coming down like an oppressive government at the moment). Promptly left work with my keys dangling in the lab door (I think/hope).
Dieu, je vous soupçonne d'être un intellectuel de gauche.

FGG #5465

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4177 on: 04 January, 2024, 08:31:52 pm »
I use the lids for overnight proving in the fridge.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4178 on: 05 January, 2024, 07:55:21 am »

A floater in my eye converted the L into a K.  :o
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4179 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:43:45 pm »
What do you use the lids for? I can't think of any occasion I've needed a lid on a mixing bowl. If I'm keeping something in it I usually need to cover the surface of whatever it is, to avoid skin/drying out.
Etc
In those circs, bowl in fridge. No lid required.

I would use a teatowel on a bowl. If I made bread. Which I don't. Doesn't it need to breathe?

I think they'd end up a grubby pile in the very back of a cupboard. Like a lot of my stuff.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4180 on: 05 January, 2024, 02:49:27 pm »
I would use a teatowel on a bowl. If I made bread. Which I don't. Doesn't it need to breathe?

I find keeping stuff in the fridge uncovered is a good way to make it dry out very quickly, so I would also use an airtight cover for proving dough overnight in the fridge.

I don't know how much practical difference it actually makes, tbh.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4181 on: 05 January, 2024, 04:28:06 pm »
Etc

Tossing prawns in potato starch prior to deep frying.  Much tidier with a lid on.

« Reply #4182 on: 05 January, 2024, 05:32:35 pm »
I have a bad back. I find Deep Heat is very soothing, and have some in a roll on bottle which is easy to rub on.
Senior moment - I mistook it for a roll on deodorant. Cue toasty armpits all day.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #4183 on: 07 January, 2024, 08:43:45 am »
Two weeks ago I put the trap camera out.  Took it again & put the flatteries batteries on charge.  Strange - no blinken lights (meaning charging)
Put the SD card in the 'puter - hmmm no files dated Dec or Jan.  Did I forget to set the date?

<fx>Clang!</fx> as the penny drops.

Oh I didn't did I?  Checks power switch.  Yep, I didn't switch it on.

Muppet.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4184 on: 09 January, 2024, 04:39:43 pm »
So after an elderly NAS drive got killed utterly to DETH by a one-second power hiccup the other day Mr Larrington has been busy rebuilding divers archives of Useful Stuffs.  But soft!  Why is this 'ere archive replete with files from completely the wrong directory tree?

Bollocksbollocksbollocks!  Roll back two versions, rebuild archive from scratch, roll forward.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4185 on: 11 January, 2024, 07:20:58 pm »
If you frob the wrong buttons on your combination microwave/grill/oven you get some interesting noises and pretty fireworks if your dinner is in a foil wossname and you start nuking it.

DAMHIKT.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4186 on: 12 January, 2024, 01:43:31 pm »
I could say that putting my jumper on back to front was a deliberate ploy to keep the chilly winter winds of E17 out of the chestal area while running errands on the Perfectly Good Gentleman’s Mountain Bicycle.

The more mundane fact of the matter is…

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #4187 on: 13 January, 2024, 05:03:43 pm »
Oxfam in the village recently sold a very nice pair of grey trousers which just match my office suit. My wardrobe contains a very nice pair of barely-worn grey trousers which no longer fit me.

Oops.
Not especially helpful or mature

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4188 on: 14 January, 2024, 03:33:30 pm »
Frying duck breast for lunch, skin down in the pan to melt out the fat and turn marinade + skin into delicious crispiness.  This takes a few minutes so went back to chopping veg.  Only instead of pan being on medium-hot electric plate as the recipe required it was on the gas burner I usually use for the wok.

...Can this be smoke???

Ever had blackened duck à la Paul Prudhomme?

« Reply #4189 on: 14 January, 2024, 03:45:55 pm »
I hear carbon is good for the digestion. Not to tempt fate, as we’re having duck breast tomorrow.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #4190 on: 14 January, 2024, 04:45:48 pm »
I hear carbon is good for the digestion. Not to tempt fate, as we’re having duck breast tomorrow.

Indeed.

Charcoal biscuits were first made in England in the early 19th century as an antidote to flatulence and stomach trouble. The Retrospect of Practical Medicine and Surgery, a medical text published in 1856, recommends charcoal biscuits for gastric problems, saying each biscuit contained ten grains (648 mg) of charcoal. Vegetable Charcoal: Its Medicinal and Economic Properties with Practical Remarks on Its Use in Chronic Affections of the Stomach and Bowels, published in 1857, recommends charcoal biscuits as an excellent method of administering charcoal to children.

Contemporary forms
In modern times charcoal biscuits are made in the form of crackers to accompany cheeses. The biscuits have a slight hint of charcoal taste that is described by some as pleasing. The biscuits have also been marketed as a pet care product to control flatulence in pets, and as aids to digestion or stomach problems in humans
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charcoal_biscuit

<ObligDiscworld>

Bear in mind that their consumption after any repast involving Wow-Wow Sauce is strongly deprecated. ;)

Quote from: Reaper Man
Wow-Wow Sauce, a mixture of mature scumble, pickled cucumbers, capers, mustard, mangoes, figs, grated wahooni, anchovy essence, asafoetida and, significantly, sulphur and saltpetre for added potency. Ridcully inherited the formula from his uncle who, after half a pint of sauce on a big meal one evening, had a charcoal biscuit to settle his stomach, lit his pipe and disappeared in mysterious circumstances, although his shoes were found on the roof the following summer.

</ObligDiscworld>
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4191 on: 14 January, 2024, 04:46:36 pm »

This is what I was aiming at:

https://youtu.be/8vQj4Bnodk4?si=dJxcdFR8zO7Pstoh

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #4192 on: 16 January, 2024, 04:38:24 pm »
Note to self: when you switch the boiler off at the mains in order to avoid being fused to the National Grid when furtling with the innards of the thermostat it is a Good Idea to switch the bloody thing back on when you’ve put it all back together again.  That way the Great Hall of Larrington Towers will not have a temperature akin to a a walk-in freezer or the airside smoking room at Hartsfield-Jackson airport  :facepalm:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4193 on: 19 January, 2024, 11:10:36 am »
I've just emptied the tumble dryer and wondered what on earth the crumpled piece of cardboard like thing was.
Bugger. You're not supposed to tumble dry Damart thermal vests.  :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #4194 on: 20 January, 2024, 03:27:59 pm »
I've just emptied the tumble dryer and wondered what on earth the crumpled piece of cardboard like thing was.
Bugger. You're not supposed to tumble dry Damart thermal vests.  :-[

Nor Double Force longs  :facepalm:

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #4195 on: 20 January, 2024, 03:32:56 pm »
Which reminds me, we hardy cyclists at work take turns to change togs in the small shower room. Conscious of the next bod waiting outside, I hurried into the winter longs - and found them to be inside out - duh. I struggled out of them (not wanting to displace the socks) and re-donned them. Inside-out once more.
Yes, third time was satisfactory.

« Reply #4196 on: 20 January, 2024, 07:35:33 pm »
USB longs?

« Reply #4197 on: 20 January, 2024, 09:13:26 pm »
Which reminds me, we hardy cyclists at work take turns to change togs in the small shower room. Conscious of the next bod waiting outside, I hurried into the winter longs - and found them to be inside out - duh. I struggled out of them (not wanting to displace the socks) and re-donned them. Inside-out once more.
Clearly not a product of school changing rooms and communal showers post rugby. I turn face to wall but otherwise it is a case all boys together

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4198 on: 21 January, 2024, 08:48:01 am »
Clearly not a product of school changing rooms and communal showers post rugby. I turn face to wall but otherwise it is a case all boys together

After a cold, wet ride years ago I needed to change into dry togs for the pasta & meatballs laid on by the organizer.  The downstairs loos being beset I did so behind the open door of my car, then realized that anyone looking out of the front windows of the house across the road could have seen every detail through the car windows.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The &quot;I'm Such a Fecking Div&quot; Thread
« Reply #4199 on: 21 January, 2024, 02:40:14 pm »
For the love of God, will someone tell me where I put the car key down when I got home on Tuesday evening?

And while we’re at it, where are my other pair of glasses (the ones that don’t have a broken nose piece)?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."