Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 445597 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3275 on: 20 August, 2022, 06:36:00 pm »
Is keeping old emails in your inbox really the best filing system for stuff that needs to be saved anyway?

If an email contains information I know I’ll want to refer to later, I create a pdf of the email and save it in the folder for the project it relates to, along with any attachments. As well as avoiding the issue of emails potentially being deleted, it makes things much easier to find at future unspecified date when you need them (as long as you have a good system with robust file naming protocols).

Probably contravenes GDPR, I expect.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3276 on: 20 August, 2022, 08:34:15 pm »

Is keeping old emails in your inbox really the best filing system for stuff that needs to be saved anyway?

Best? No. Of course not. But it is the easiest.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3277 on: 20 August, 2022, 10:17:28 pm »
Talking of hearing people and given this is the Div thread I thought I might mention it hear1. I’m being hassled to wear my aids a quantity of MOAR at home because Dr Beardy is getting fed up of having to repeat everything three times.

Is this not a case for malicious compliance.

"Yes I am wearing them"

"Are they switched on?"

"um, no"

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3278 on: 20 August, 2022, 10:21:03 pm »
That's on a par with the KY Jelly/Deep Heat selection error  ;D ;D

. . .  on a serious note, the curve in picture rail looks brilliant.

At uni I learned the hardway. Do not leave lube and "all purpose adhesive" in the same draw of your bedside table... Esp when they are both mostly white tubes.

J
--

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3279 on: 21 August, 2022, 12:43:15 am »
Half the problem with standard 'behind the ear' hearing aid is that ear moulds or even the more modern domes are not that comfortable to wear all day every day. Ears get sweaty and itchy when full of unexpected silicone or other materials.

So having the hearing aids in and off defeats half the point of wearing them AND makes you deafer as your ears are somewhat blocked.

At least when I have my BAHAs clipped in, I can't feel them, so only have to make sure I don't accidentally dunk em in the bath/shower. Kim knows seeing BAHAs in my head doesn't mean I can hear her. I might be in pseudo-mute or being turned off entirely.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3280 on: 21 August, 2022, 08:50:18 am »
Bing!  Just realized that by adding board after board to the barn door I'm going to end up working in the dark.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3281 on: 21 August, 2022, 10:19:02 am »
Three pieces of divvery from me yesterday, all bike related.

1. What happens if you leave water in your bottles for a fortnight? They go slimy and grow algae. Except that in umpty years of doing this, that has never happened. What happens if you leave water in your bottles for a fortnight in an exceptional heatwave? They go slimy and grow algae. Except that in practice, that did not happen. What happens if you leave water in your bottles for a fortnight in an exceptional heatwave and the bottle is transparent? They go slimy and grow algae. Yes, this one did happen.

2. Winding my way up this hill, just here:
https://goo.gl/maps/WK49y5dHxQEsD4yC6
my attention was distracted by a sign in the property on the right saying "Buy me". This started me singing, thinking of but not to the tune of, Blondie's "Call me". So enthusiastically was I singing that I forgot about gears altogether. See that hairpin bend? Imagine how the gradient must increase on that tight radius? Yes...

3. I got a puncture. This is not divvery in itself. Easily located the hole, a tear about 4mm long, bigger than normal but should be patchable. Extract things from tool case – no patches! Fortunately I had a spare tube and all the other necessaries. Equally fortunately I did not get a second puncture.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3282 on: 21 August, 2022, 10:58:48 am »
I took tw drinks bottles with me to Nottingham last week for my summer school. One has a screw top and is vacuum-lines so keeps the water cold. The other is a standard cycling bottle with a nipple I can grasp with my teeth whilst driving. (oo werr, I hear you say). I left the latter in the car for the duration of the week.

I came to fill it on Saturday last weekend for my journey back, and gave it a squeezde. My fingers went straight through the side of the bottle and launched loverly fresh water down my shirt.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3283 on: 21 August, 2022, 11:35:58 am »
Wow, Wow! Had it just softened in the heat – must have got pretty hot in a closed car – or do you think there was some UV degradation of the plastic?

« Reply #3284 on: 21 August, 2022, 11:51:39 am »
Maybe cut your nails?  :demon:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3285 on: 21 August, 2022, 12:15:05 pm »
I find that plastic bottles cure and split after a few years' use. Might indeed be UV in my case - wouldn't expect it inside a car though.

In re bottledivvery, when mine split I replaced it with one of these new high-falutin' fancified efforts with a soft teat. First time I used it I held it horizontally, pulled the teat up with my teeth in the usual manner and squeezed at the same time. The teat popped up a wee bit then deformed and slipped out of my teeth, and I squirted myself in the face.

Nowadays I'm using Elite Corsa Classic 950 ml. None of your soft teatery there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3286 on: 21 August, 2022, 01:13:16 pm »
One of my YACF bottles (the one that's seen most use) has developed several hairline fractures over a short period.  I should really bin it, but I keep using it for local trips where I don't really need water[1] and as a convenient container for measuring the amount of water I fill my 4-litre bag with.

My recent act of bottledivvery involves a cheap freebie from a German bike parts supplier.  It has a dubious push-fit lid, rather than the usual screw on type.  I'd failed to push-fit it hard enough, and managed to squeeze half its contents all over myself and the front seat of the car.

[1] I'm of the opinion that it's always worth having some plain water on the bike, in case of grubby mechanicals or having to wash beasties out of your eye or whatever.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3287 on: 21 August, 2022, 01:18:47 pm »
Agreed on the usefulness of having water with you. I'm also coming to the conclusion opinion that bigger bottles are better, as long as you've got room for them, and that it might be better to have one bike bottle (with teat, soft or not – I wasn't aware there was a difference) and one bottle with a screw top, as not only do they tend to be bigger, they also tend not to impart any taste (once you've rinsed out the juice or coke or whatever came in it) and it's harder to spill them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3288 on: 21 August, 2022, 02:03:19 pm »
Plasticizers can migrate. Imperfectly-stabilised plastics change their properties over time. Increased temperatures increase the rate of chemical reactions (usually double for every 10 degrees higher). Some chemical processes have an energy/ temperature threshold. All of this sort of polymer knowledge is well beyond my understanding, so I could be very wrong.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3289 on: 21 August, 2022, 02:16:33 pm »
Plasticizers can migrate. Imperfectly-stabilised plastics change their properties over time. Increased temperatures increase the rate of chemical reactions (usually double for every 10 degrees higher). Some chemical processes have an energy/ temperature threshold. All of this sort of polymer knowledge is well beyond my understanding, so I could be very wrong.

Presumably into the water and thence into us, where they imitate hormones and cause us to end up in the Guardian's Environment pages.

« Reply #3290 on: 25 August, 2022, 07:48:56 pm »
Grrr children taking selfies with my phone was the jist of my grumble yesterday

Er no love the wife pointed out, I told you to take pictures of kids incase they got separated on ferry so could show what they are wearing

Both divvy on my part and smart thinking on wife's

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3291 on: 27 August, 2022, 07:29:30 pm »
A couple of days after Mrs n poured a cup of chamomile tea over the computer keyboard I wasted most of a glass of LaChouffe on the very same keyboard. It is now in the yard drying off after being rinsed under the tap. With a bit of luck it'll still function.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #3292 on: 28 August, 2022, 12:19:54 pm »
I placed my tilly hat into the straps on the outside of my backpack but didn't tighten the elastic. On backtracking there was no sight of it so now I have to hope it is handed in to lost property.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3293 on: 28 August, 2022, 01:20:32 pm »

Can bikes breed?

I've not been down in the basement in months. It's basically home to some old computers, a load of empty moving boxes belonging to my housemate, a very old "project" bike that I brought from the UK, my housemates old racing bike. And today I discovered. A Dutch city bike. My housemates deny knowledge of it's existence. So I'm guessing either I picked it up from a friend who was getting rid of it, thinking it'd make a nice winter project...

Or my bikes are breeding...

Either way I'm a bloody idiot for not knowing how many bikes I own...

J
--

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3294 on: 29 August, 2022, 07:19:55 am »
I placed my tilly hat into the straps on the outside of my backpack but didn't tighten the elastic. On backtracking there was no sight of it so now I have to hope it is handed in to lost property.

Hopefully it will appear, I had a stroke of luck last week when the trio following me on the KAW picked up my errant coffee mug and handed it back to me at the pub we were all staying at.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3295 on: 29 August, 2022, 09:33:36 pm »

Making a coffee and walnut cake. Stuck the tins with cake mix in the oven. Turned round, found the tub with the raising agent in sat in the counter. Oh bollocks.

Take tins out. Dump contents. Rinse. Repeat. Made another batch. Remembered the raising agent this time.

Now I wait with it in the oven.

J
--

« Reply #3296 on: 30 August, 2022, 07:00:37 am »

Now I wait with it in the oven.

J

I read that as if you were sitting beside it, also in the oven. In which case i'm hoping you forgot to switch it on.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3297 on: 30 August, 2022, 07:25:30 am »
Coffee & walnut sounds good. Wonder what happens to the caffeine - does it break down at baking temperatures?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3298 on: 30 August, 2022, 12:01:43 pm »
No, div, that song is not called “Cinnamon Girl & Crazy Horse” :facepalm:  Pay attention to your pasting…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3299 on: 01 September, 2022, 08:33:09 am »
I went swimming before work and forgot to take a bra.

Yes I know bras aren't compulsory and women shouldn't feel they have to wear them but I'm a big woman and I'm not comfortable in a work environment without