Author Topic: River Parrett Trail - Somerset  (Read 1600 times)

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
River Parrett Trail - Somerset
« on: 26 March, 2020, 09:21:34 pm »
Does anyone know if the final section of the River Parrett Trail, from Bridgwater to Steart Point, is suitable for bikes?
Advena ego sum in Terra

ppg

Re: River Parrett Trail - Somerset
« Reply #1 on: 27 March, 2020, 09:16:43 am »
We did the final bit from Combwich to Steart last September as part of a lets go and see Hinckley Point outing and it was perfectly rideable.
The whole area is a flood sink though so probably best to check after a prolonged rainy spell - we carried on West to Stolford and that was a bit flooded in a couple of places.
It's a beautiful area though, especially if you twitch!
HTH

ETA - the path swings away 90degs from the river a mile from Combwich to bypass the new drainage channel (North Brook) which is not shown on older OS maps.
The online OS maps are up to date, as is Garmin's Topo and the path is well signposted anyway.

diapsaon0

« Reply #2 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:08:01 am »
Many thanks.  I libe in Bridgwater and was thinking about riding down to Combwich and Otterhapmpton.

Ill give it a go.

Advena ego sum in Terra

ppg

« Reply #3 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:24:33 am »
You're welcome!
We live in Porlock so did a (very) meandering ride from Kilve & had a nice Sunday carvery lunch in Combwich.
Probably won't be repeating that this year though :(

diapsaon0

« Reply #4 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:00:54 am »
Tried it yesterday from Bridgwater towards Combwich but can't recommend it.  Mostly a mud path, with low overhanging branches and twigs, deeply rutted and bumpy.  Would be fine on foot.  The 'path' is very narrow with a drop to one side of about 6 feet.  After a mile or so, I came to a kissing gate and was unable to lift my heavy bike (Thorn Nomad) over it - mainly due to a weak right arm after an RTA.  Turned round and went to Combwich and Otterhampton via A39 and local lanes.  Lovely stretch across the nature reserve at Streat (Stert) Point.  Lots of Hinkley Point buses and cars on the A39, otherwise quiet and peaceful.  Very few people about.  20 fairly hilly miles for my daily exercise.
Advena ego sum in Terra