Author Topic: Tablet/ipad for parent?  (Read 1276 times)

Tablet/ipad for parent?
« on: 05 December, 2019, 04:43:44 pm »
Would like to get my mother (80s) back online, she has an old android tablet (never that great) which she hasn't used for about 3yrs.  Was thinking of new voice controller options, and how well these work etc e.g. Alexa or Siri?  Any good built in easy format user options?

Thoughts?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Tablet/ipad for parent?
« Reply #1 on: 05 December, 2019, 05:46:53 pm »
Depends how tech savvy she is. My brother-in-law got one for my mother-in-law (of a similar age) and left us to support her remotely. She’d never used a computer, has little patience and seems to resent taking advice from us on anything. A few years down the line she can just about send an email. Haven’t tried her on Siri though.

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:36:41 pm »
Not tech savvy.  At one point she could read and send an email, until gmail updated the format.  She can talk to her Google Home mini to select radio stations, ask about weather etc, which made me wonder about Alexa or Siri voice control, for possible tablet video calls etc.   A bit wary of Apple simply because the family has no Apple devices...

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:54:45 pm »
Sounds like you should stick to Google if AP is already using Google Home.

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2019, 09:56:43 pm »
Depends how tech savvy she is.

This, very much so.

My mother loves her iPad. She watches TV on it or listens to the radio when she can't sleep, she does her email on there, browses the web, etc.

My mother-in-law isn't interested at all in an iPad. My father-in-law has one and is savvy enough to do everything he wants to do on it, but that's mostly just emails and a bit of browsing.  But MiL no, she's only really recently got back to using a basic mobile for texting.

Don't think any of them use Siri and although they'd probably warm to Alexa or similar it may take them a lot longer to get used to it than younger generations.

They're all a few years from being 80.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

ian

« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »
My inlaws live on their iPads (one is in her late 70s, the other mid-80s). They have a loose relationship with the actual functioning of the device, but they manage email, the web, tv and radio, FB and the like. If they can figure it out, anyone can.

Voice control, tbh, I'm probably too old for. Talking to computers, bah. I don't think you want to do that, ian. But I do, Alexa I do!

I do ask Siri the time when I'm on my bike and I can't be bothered trying to find the watch under all the clothes. And I make Alexa play tunes from Apple Music. Oh, I'm feeling younger already.

But no, I'm not sure the inlaws are ready for that mode of communication with our silicon overlords.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2019, 05:27:00 pm »
Or something like a Google Nest Hub Max?
Its not really a tablet, more like a speaker with a big screen. So designed to use it with voice control. Would be similar sort of voice control to the Home Mini anyway. Also has a touchscreen, not sure what you can do with that.

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2019, 12:59:36 pm »
Thanks all.

"hey Google" commands work reasonably well on Android for opening apps etc.  One of the issue for her is getting on the wrong screen/window, so voice may give her 'work arounds'. 

Nest hub looks good for video calls.  May take a look at the Samsung android tablets.