Author Topic: Old Bagger's walking trip - Pembrokeshire Coastal Path - 14/6 - 2/7 2018  (Read 18384 times)

Little and often works well.
A few walks with full gear are also beneficial.
Interesting walking conditions this morning with some very pretty snow formations.
Snow shows would have been useful!

Interesting walking conditions this morning with some very pretty snow formations.
Snow shows would have been useful!
Freezing rain here made walking across snow covered fields like walking across crème brûlée and my jacket had a front of sheet ice!
Are snow shoes good for crème brûlée?  :P

Are snow shoes good for crème brûlée?  :P
[/quote

Excellent, you won't go through the sugar crust!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I waited until the freezing rain had turned to frozen rain - ie was in effect diminutive hailstones.

Sounds as though you had a good walk, Simon! Like Del, I enjoyed the crunchiness of walking on snow that, yesterday, was totally silent. I'm going out again in a tick to get a few more paces in.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Once more into the slush, dear friends, once more...

Indeed, Mrs Miggins and I braved the still extremely icy conditions for a trip around the Rutland countryside.
I do have to be very careful to keep to a sensible pace to ensure that we do not exceed the parameters set on Mrs Miggins ICD.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Good work! How is the dear lady?

Thanks Wow.
Joyce continues to recover although she does get very tired.
It's a bit of a balancing act, knowing how much effort to put in without overdoing it.
It will also take some time to recover from the bout of pneumonia which brought  the DCM to light.
We will be out again today, the snow is finally beginning to melt.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I was up early because of arthritic pain and because it was lovely and sunny I did 4 miles before breakfast. All urban miles so not very exciting, but not taking the dog meant I walked faster. I definitely felt as though I had earned my porridge!

I went out again later with the dog. Total walking 6 miles in 120 minutes.

I might give the Hadleigh Castle Park a try later in the week, but I reckon it will be very muddy. It was on a (solo) walk near there that my pal Mel broke his leg when negotiating a ploughed field a few years back. He was rescued by helicopter but had to crawl, with his leg in an inflatable splint, 50 yards or so to where it landed. The ground was too rough and wet for anyone to be able to carry him on a stretcher.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I am also looking at rucksacks. I have a Vango Sherpa, 75 litres, which weights almost 2.5kg. I used that in the Beacons for a week's walking - although food and drink was so hard to come by that when we found a campsite where the owner gave us the run of his veg patch and also sold us meat (home produced) from his freezer, we travelled light thereafter.

I really don't know how big a rucksack I am going to need. Tent, downmat, quilt, clothes, cooking stuff...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I was thinking of this thread today simply because for the last couple of days I've been wearing my walking boots. They must be about 20 years old and don't really get used much except in snow, ice and slush, so they're still in pretty good nick. But they are strange to walk in; such huge heels! It feels like normal shoes at the toe end but with gurt wedges of wood under the heels!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Cudzo wears stiletto heel walking boots!  :o
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
No, stilettos are for cycling in.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

I have a ULA Circuit rucsac.
It is 60ltr and weighs under a kilo.
I am really pleased with it, having used it on the Yorkshire Dales section of the Pennine Way last summer.
It held all my kit including tent, stove, sleeping mat and bag and all the other bits and bobs that are required for multi day trips.
On this trip, I do not intend carrying much in the way of food as we should have no problem finding sustenance on route.
On summer trips, I carry the minimum of clothes as I can wash them as I go. Footwear is just my walking boots and a pair of Zero sandals for the evening.
I am undecided whether to use trekking poles or nordic poles, I am erring towards nordic but will see as training progresses.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I have been looking at the map (OS) and I think that there are some stretches where we will be quite a long way from any food/water supplies. The first stretch - from Amroth to Manorbier - will be no problem. The next bit, from Manorbier, or Freshwater East, there isn't a lot very close to the path. Pembroke, Pembroke Dock, Neyland and Milford Haven will all have food shops and eateries, and Little Haven to Newgale are all well catered for.

I reckon that quite a lot of the time, trips to food shops etc. will mean an extra mile or two onto each day, and that all adds up.

This guy makes the following comment:

13-14 days- Pembrokeshire
This has been a national trail for some time now. The fact it is the only coastal National Park in the UK says enough about its beauty. It is quite tough ‘up and down’ walking in parts and shops for restocking are harder to come by…lots and lots of pubs tucked into the charming coves though.

from https://willwalkswales.wordpress.com/2013/07/05/diy-welsh-adventure/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I've just looked at the ULA rucksack.

'Ow much?</canardly>

(Sorry, Bob, couldn't resist...)  ;D

I've just looked at the ULA rucksack.

'Ow much?</canardly>

(Sorry, Bob, couldn't resist...)  ;D

:D

Yes, they are a tad pricey. I consider mine to be money very well spent.
A comfortable carry makes so much difference on a long trip.
If you fancy a weekend camping and walking when you get your new tent we could have a trial run and testing session.

Strewth!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

It's only pricey if you buy it and only use it a couple of times. If you walk/hike lots* then the "buy once cry once" rule makes it a good choice.

*Lots = > a few  ::-)

I agree with this ^^^^^

Have you had to lie down in a darkened room Bob ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
And I have found a wonderful website for quick-drying underpants!

https://www.onebagger.com/best-quick-drying-traveling-underwear-for-men/