Author Topic: Grand National  (Read 2679 times)

Grand National
« on: 16 April, 2023, 11:52:47 am »
Given the kerfuffle I noted that three horses died this years event. I am surprised that the RSPCA allows the event to continue in its current form.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/how-many-horses-died-grand-26676444
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Grand National
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2023, 02:26:39 pm »
It’s not impossible that many of the main backers of the RSPCA also back horse racing.  That’s the trouble when you leave important bits of your society to charity. See also Wildlife Trusts and their capacity to challenge rich landowners.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2023, 05:03:32 pm »
The RSPCA can't ban anything; they have to prosecute and win.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2023, 06:09:50 pm »
Wiki says the queen owned in excess of 100 horses at her death, and was known to show up to horse racing. Might be awkward for the Royal Society for the prevention of cruelty to animals to take a stance against their patron?

Tories want a culture war? Horse racing seems like a pretty legit target to sabotage to me.

« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2023, 01:30:02 pm »
Disappointed to find horse racing under "sporting" anything - but it is, I suppose the name of the betting paper,so...

This is so pathetic:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/65296693

He doesn't, of course, point out that, thanks to protestors, his investment actually lived for quarter of an hour longer than it might otherwise have done.  What a cowardly, cowardly man.

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2023, 02:25:46 pm »
He doesn't, of course, point out that, thanks to protestors, his investment actually lived for quarter of an hour longer than it might otherwise have done.  What a cowardly, cowardly man.

I had a certain amount of sympathy for the owner until I heard him on the radio this morning.  He was more interested in attacking the protestors than mourning the death of the horse.  I think we've seen enough evidence over the years of how owners and trainers treat horses as commercial assets rather than sentient creatures.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #6 on: 17 April, 2023, 02:34:23 pm »
Certainly, toontra.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 17 April, 2023, 02:42:32 pm »

I had a certain amount of sympathy for the owner until I heard him on the radio this morning.  He was more interested in attacking the protestors than mourning the death of the horse.  I think we've seen enough evidence over the years of how owners and trainers treat horses as commercial assets rather than sentient creatures.

The same goes for any animals raised with profit in mind.  Meat animals maybe have a more placid existence but there's little mercy shown there either when money is involved.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #8 on: 17 April, 2023, 03:02:37 pm »
I wonder who he would have blamed (if anyone) if the start had been delayed for other reasons - e.g. horses not lining up correctly (as happens regularly with lengthy delays).  If he trains a horse that can't deal with situations like that perhaps he should blame himself.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #9 on: 17 April, 2023, 03:46:12 pm »
That would require insight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2023, 06:31:55 pm »
Indeed.  You're not going to work in horse racing at that level if you have ethical problems with horse racing.

I know 0% of fuck all about it, but as it's a thing that rich people are involved in in 21st century BRITAIN, it seems likely that the horses are incidental, and it's really about pushing money around.  See also: Housing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2023, 10:29:08 am »
My experience with the people actually doing the nuts and bolts, is that they're animal lovers, and believes the horses love it. In fact only certain horses have the enthusiasm for it.

OTOH ... I can see the protesters POV. And was sickened to read Hancock's comment about beating the
"attention-seeking protestors".
I hope he is soon inconvenienced by attention-seeking voters ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 18 April, 2023, 10:36:36 am »
Little Hattie Mancock has been in horse racing's pocket since approximately forever.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2023, 10:42:06 am »
If protesters aren't getting attention, they aren't doing it properly.

I suppose I should qualify that to "peaceful protesters". if someone decides to protest against an oil refinery by blowing it up, they probably wouldn't welcome the attention quite so much.

« Reply #14 on: 18 April, 2023, 11:04:06 am »
I dont mind horse racing in general. I live in the middle of an area full of racing stables and stables for general riding.
Horses like to run (well most of them) and most of the people working at the sharp end love horses (there will of course be exceptions and I bet some of the very rich owners don't really give a damn).

The Grand National though is something else, its just cruel. The fences are simply too high and there are too many horses attempting to jump at the same time.

Either they should scale back the field and the height of the fences or it should be stopped.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 18 April, 2023, 12:29:19 pm »
Either they should scale back the field and the height of the fences or it should be stopped.

I reckon swapping the horses for pedal cars would be an ethical and entertaining option.  The fences might prove a challenge though.  At least until a pile of wreckage builds up...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 18 April, 2023, 12:31:58 pm »

I reckon swapping the horses for pedal cars would be an ethical and entertaining option.  The fences might prove a challenge though.  At least until a pile of wreckage builds up...

Ramps with sheer drops on the other side?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 18 April, 2023, 12:38:16 pm »
Something similar has been running for many years:
https://youtu.be/4FAuNcWSxuY?t=7
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles