Author Topic: RIP Sir Bobby Charlton  (Read 3606 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: RIP Sir Bobby Charlton
« Reply #50 on: 27 October, 2023, 07:04:28 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/25/bobby-charlton-goals-footballer-darts-snooker-gentleman

There's a photo of Bobby Charlton scoring another headed goal, v Liverpool in 1964.

Ha!
When I look at that photograph - only one thing comes to mind...
Quiz: what is it that came to mind.
Clue: Only people of a certain age are more likely to get it, because I'm not sure it's around anymore?

XXXX XXX XXX

[it's easy :)]

Spot the ball?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #51 on: 27 October, 2023, 07:20:12 pm »
Go on then, what is it? ???

You're not trying hard enough De Sisti :)

Couple more clues:
1. It happened on places like Fleet Street [nothing to do with politics btw]
2. Biro, more likely than not.

edit: Just pushing back on my earlier comment......I notice after interneting that it still does exist, but that photograph of BC is a classic example of it.
Garry Broad

« Reply #52 on: 27 October, 2023, 07:24:41 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/25/bobby-charlton-goals-footballer-darts-snooker-gentleman

There's a photo of Bobby Charlton scoring another headed goal, v Liverpool in 1964.

Ha!
When I look at that photograph - only one thing comes to mind...
Quiz: what is it that came to mind.
Clue: Only people of a certain age are more likely to get it, because I'm not sure it's around anymore?

XXXX XXX XXX

[it's easy :)]

Spot the ball?

Bingo!

Admission: I actually did it when I was a youngster [stopped recently]. And one would send it off snail mail [of course].
I seemed to remember payouts being thin on the ground though  :)
Garry Broad

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #53 on: 27 October, 2023, 07:35:27 pm »
Wouldn’t that be XXXX XXX XXXX?

Using my skill and judgment there  :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #54 on: 27 October, 2023, 07:43:57 pm »
Did I ever mention that sometime between 1975 and 1980 Geoff Hurst pulled a pint for me and my mates at the Sheet Anchor pub in Baldwin's Gate, just south of Newcastle-under-Lyme?

[Bit more life gone searching the internet  :)]
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2001/aug/21/sport.biography

I'm assuming it was the pub he owned?
Reminded me of what came after football for those guys - a lot of decisions about where the next pay cheque was coming from, because they certainly get out there and join the work force on some capaciity. Funny, I remember Geoff Hurst getting into insurance, and thinking at the time, 'blimey, that's a bit different'. But they had to get into something pretty sharpish. Loads of them ran pubs - mainly because they probably spent a great deal of time in them off the training ground! A lot mof them had a go, but not many of them made successful managers. Reading that article, I'd forgtten Geoff Hurst had a short period at Chelsea.
Garry Broad

« Reply #55 on: 27 October, 2023, 07:47:33 pm »
Wouldn’t that be XXXX XXX XXXX?

Using my skill and judgment there  :P

Trust you to come along and undermine a very serious conversation  ;)
Garry Broad

« Reply #56 on: 27 October, 2023, 08:08:56 pm »
Had a quick look but can't find a match in 63-4 or 64-5 when Bobby scored against Liverpool!  But that may be just me.  Maybe it's just a picture of a header?

« Reply #57 on: 28 October, 2023, 04:19:41 pm »
Go on then, what is it? ???

You're not trying hard enough De Sisti :-)

Couple more clues:
1. It happened on places like Fleet Street [nothing to do with politics btw]
2. Biro, more likely than not.

edit: Just pushing back on my earlier comment......I notice after interneting that it still does exist, but that photograph of BC is a classic example of it.
I'm old enough to remember spot-the-ball (having entered on a few occasions), but am probably too dim to see a connection with the picture.

« Reply #58 on: 28 October, 2023, 04:27:28 pm »
I think it's probably that all the players seem to be looking in different directions (and at least one has his eyes shut, doesn't he?).  That's the kind of picture S the B liked because it helped to avoid paying out.

« Reply #59 on: 28 October, 2023, 04:49:06 pm »
I think it's probably that all the players seem to be looking in different directions (and at least one has his eyes shut, doesn't he?).  That's the kind of picture S the B liked because it helped to avoid paying out.
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification. On a related note, I remember back in the very early 80s
when I used to watch United from the left side (mid-way up) in the Stretford End. I bought a match-day

programme that had a picture of a recent United v Derby County game on one of the inside pages.
It had the ball in the air with Martin Buchan rising to head it. To my amazement, that very same
picture was used on a subsequent Spot-the-ball. I entered and placed multiple Xs where the ball
would have been.

I was later to realise it was all a con when the results were revealed a couple of weeks later.
It transpired that a "panel of football experts" would look at the picture without the ball and then
decide where it should be. The ball (in their opinion) was nowhere near its actual location in the competition picture compared to the actual photo when they made their decision. >:(

« Reply #60 on: 28 October, 2023, 04:58:17 pm »
What a surprise! ;)