Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815105 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22525 on: 27 May, 2019, 11:46:10 am »
Learning Opportunities on the importance of  a) the right size inner tubes  and  b) pumps with compatible valves  that I generally tend to get that bit right too.  Except when I don't.
And, um, tubes with the right sort of valves for your rims. I always keep them separately now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #22526 on: 27 May, 2019, 12:47:04 pm »
Today, Lochranza to Brodick. I set off with plenty of time but a particular ferry to catch. The latter has the effect of fewer stops and pushing my pace up. Coming round the bay to see the previous ferry still there didn't reduce this any. I didn't get the earlier ferry but did do my biggest hill of the trip.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22527 on: 27 May, 2019, 02:04:01 pm »
Learning Opportunities on the importance of  a) the right size inner tubes  and  b) pumps with compatible valves  that I generally tend to get that bit right too.  Except when I don't.
And, um, tubes with the right sort of valves for your rims. I always keep them separately now.

That too, though I've mostly solved that problem by standardising on Presta for everything, except the trailer (which has a spare 406 Schrader tube cable-tied to the underside so I don't have to think about it), and the handful of Schrader tubes that lurk in the spare tubes box because reasons.

(Anyone have a use for 20-25 559 Schrader tubes?  Got sent some of those by mistake.  I should probably ask some wheelchair users...)

« Reply #22528 on: 27 May, 2019, 04:16:23 pm »
I went out in my celeste YACF jersey and visited 2 windmills - Quainton and Brill - and paid tribute to Steve A with a transit of Marsh Gibbon (photo in the linked “activity”).  I toyed with the idea of visiting the windmills at Wheatley and Milton, but realised I had already done 35 miles and needed lunch so I headed home. 42.something miles and about 2,000 feet of climbing, with lovely views across Oxfordshire and Warwickshire. https://strava.app.link/lxTwmqwb2W

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #22529 on: 27 May, 2019, 04:26:07 pm »
About 15 miles of S Derbyshire’s loveliest rolling roads with Louis. He was much happier with the lower gearing on the Trek, less so with the showers. It’s probably less fun when you don’t have dedicated kit: he was wearing super-absorbent tracksuit bottoms.

But it was mostly dry and bright.

We stopped for lovely sandwiches in Ticknall. I had black pudding, mushrooms and Stilton!

We almost made it back to the car before the deluge.

Almost.

But even that was a good thing: we scuttled into a nice bus shelter and had a nice chat. These things happen less often now he’s almost 13 and building up a life of his own.

One last climb (up and over the hill at Breedon) and we piled back into the car tired and wet and happy.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22530 on: 28 May, 2019, 08:49:29 am »
Chepstow & Gloucester loop. 119 km1 in 6 hours.  Furthest and longest time in a saddle since last August bank holiday and a bad case of baboon arse this morning

1Darn, should have done one more loop of Parkend
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22531 on: 28 May, 2019, 11:39:07 am »
I see you followed the road coming into (or going out of?) the northern edge of Gloucester. I always like to take the path through Alney Island there, look at the long horned cattle and Telford's bridge. It's slower obviously.

SoreTween

« Reply #22532 on: 28 May, 2019, 02:06:04 pm »
Out. Telford's bridge was the intention but I missed a turn in the car park at the south end of the island and decided to just bash it out rather than go back. 
I also bashed out a section of A40 rather than loop up through Highnam and Tibberton to Birdwood. Won't be doing that again

« Reply #22533 on: 29 May, 2019, 03:03:23 pm »
Most agreeable ride and lunch with small group riding through Bedforshire lanes and back, approx 34 miles.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22534 on: 01 June, 2019, 05:53:37 pm »
44 hot miles on the Ron Cooper to Hungerford and back, on some lovely lanes.  Had breakfast at the Tutti Pole so was a bit sluggish back through Froxfield and Ramsbury, until about 5 miles from home when my stomach agreed to let my legs have some of the blood supply back.  Sam had eggs benedict which apparently were even worse cycling food.

Snap Hill had a slight headwind until the first twist, but still felt like a 50mph day.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

SoreTween

« Reply #22535 on: 01 June, 2019, 07:05:38 pm »
I linked1 up two previous off road routes, the Redbrook loop and noodling in the forest to produce this.  67kms in 6.5 hours.

In two weeks time at TINAT after 67kms I'll still have another 100km to go, I can't say today bodes well for that.  About the only good news I can find in today's effort was that the route was easily 95% off road, the proportion on TINAT isn't that high if my guesstimate of the route is correct.

1 Linked up isn't really correct, what I did today was mostly an old Wild Boar Chase route I found on Ridewithgps, the previous two efforts were building up to a go at it.

« Reply #22536 on: 02 June, 2019, 09:25:41 pm »
Yesterday, but, I did a ~120km circular ride from Winchester via Salisbury, and the New Forest.  Great weather & a superb ride.

IMG_20190601_114453278 by ao, on Flickr

Found that:
Some groups don't make cycle reservations & hope for the best, but generally the experience on CrossCountry rail was OK.
Winchester is hilly, the cathedral & surrounds very nice, and a good place to find a post ride pint.
Down to the Test valley from Winchester is a lovely route.
Salisbury cathedral is being renovated; looks as impressive as ever.
No rhyme or reason to punctures occuring,  two on-road in Salisbury area, none on flinty New Forest gravel track.
The Garmin Vista HCx does weird, navigational things, when one turns the bike upside down on the grass to fix a puncture.
Always good to be able to chat to other cyclists, had two good conversations, one which featured belt drives & another about a forthcoming LEJOG.
Salisbury down into the NF is lumpy in places.
New Forest wooded tracks are cooling, when it's hot; but less so while plowing up a hill with loose-ish gravel.
Carlo's (West Wellow) make excellent ice creams.  I had choc/banana/vanilla.    :thumbsup:

Pics if interested...  https://www.flickr.com/photos/25983110@N05/albums/72157708890309697

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22537 on: 07 June, 2019, 01:57:29 pm »
Been out, but GPX file now stored on my machine is called Track_2019-06-07_112354_LocalPissedOffWentHome_16k.gpx so further data will not be forthcoming. Well, did a good hill on the way back, pleased about that at least. Had a large non-diet lunch too, bugrit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22538 on: 07 June, 2019, 07:33:41 pm »
Got back from my first ever "tour" (still not sure what counts, but I'm counting this)
I had a meeting (the sort that isn't business, and could be replaced with a well organised conf call, but still usually nice to attend) near Amsterdam, and the sort of unexpected increase in holiday allowance that comes with a P45. I also have family in Amsterdam.

I know the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland well, so I put 2 panniers and a bar bag added to the winter/commuter bike and headed for that. (After buying a Garmin to do navigation and finding out about ridewithGPS etc.

Day one was home in Basingstoke, via the Basingstoke canal, a few central London sights/sites, lunch at Look Mum No Hands, and tea with friends in E17, then on to a hotel in Romford.
Day two pushed out into the Essex country-side Chelmsford then Colchester and the wilds near Harwich where there was lots of killing time before the overnight ferry.
Day Three was downwind and delightful in Holland stopped at a few cafes and saw Leiden centre but most of the time was away from towns on separate cycle paths till almost central Amsterdam.
Spent a few days with family and at the meeting etc
Returned on a Monday, with a headwind in Holland (aka the Dutch "Hills") which was a little less fun, and my knees could feel it, but met a friend who guided through the dunes by the coast, some nice sun.
A much easier overnight ferry to Harwich, the weather looked worrying but held till almost the M25 where I holed up in a pub then pushed for Brentwood and a train to miss some of the worst of the weather. The last bit was from Canada Water to Crystal Palace, wet, and a big hill to finish. Met my other half at her parents where she had a thing she had driven to and eat and slept till it was time to go home.

It was fun, and I kind of want to do a bit more, perhaps at a smaller scale with a B&B or two. Avebury or the New Forest look close enough.
Last day was a bit harder

Most days were 50-60miles a big one 74miles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22539 on: 09 June, 2019, 04:50:19 pm »
Another day that I set out to do ~150k and got fed up at 25.  Dunno if it's the beta-blockers but the ICBA coefficient seems to increase every day since I started on them - not just for riding but for everything.

♫ Nearer, Black Dog to thee... ♫

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22540 on: 09 June, 2019, 05:03:05 pm »
It was the HSBC Birmigham Let's Ride, coinciding with the official opening of the new A38 and A34 cycleways, so I went to have a look.

Instant review:

A38
Surface quality is excellent.  Segregated path is a sensible width.
Lighting unfinished, with a great many signs procaliming the cycleway not to be in use during hours of darkness.
The untaxed Audi that was blocking the cycleway this morning had been moved to block the footway.  It had gone when I came back.
As it has priority at side roads, I was driven at twice by drivers ignoring give way/lights.
Some bends a bit tight to take at speed.  I'd guess 12mph or so is the sensible limit for most bikes.
Traffic light timings are mildly frustrating, but only slightly worse than using the main carriageway.
Large commercial bins blocking the path on Kent Street.
Crossing of the Middleway in two parts is slow but competent. Really like the crossing of Priory Road (the provision of a proper pedestrian crossing here is the best part of the scheme IMHO).
Unsure about some of the tactiles at bus stops.
Some of the high-level traffic lights are a bit redundant.
Chucked out on Kent Street with no indication of which way to go.  Should at least have joined up with the fabulous[1] NCN5 contraflow on Hurst Street.

A34
Similar to the A38, with a confusing lack of signage on the shared-use bollocks underpass at the Aston end.
Was driven at once by a driver who saw that I was approaching the crossing where I had priority and decided to go for it anyway.
Several drivers gave way as intended.
One set of traffic lights appears b0rked, and is stuck on perma-red for cyclists.
It doesn't go anywhere, depositing you on the pavement at a Big Scary Junction just short of Perry Barr.  They've got a conslutation on the go for some bollocksinfra they want to extend it with.

Let's Ride Birmingham
Finally, a city centre route that isn't half-arsed.  Bit uppy-downy for the little'uns, though.
Turnout at the festival bit seemed okay, but I expected to see more people cycling the route.
Meh, Birmingham.

Also discovered that the rear tyre of the Streetmachine[2] was down to about 30PSI.  Which explains my lack of mojo on yesterday's ride.

[1] In the gay village, even the cycle lane sparkles.  Not in a good way.
[2] Ideally given that I was testing cycling infra I'd have taken the trike, but it's attached to the turbo with wires hanging off it.

« Reply #22541 on: 09 June, 2019, 05:48:09 pm »
Out and about approx 27 miles, taking advantage of decent weather to visit an open farm in the still quiet Cambridgeshire village of Hilton.  The bucolic stillness will disappear when the nearby new A14 opens its doors and gives birth to a six lane roar. To be fair, they are planting a lot of trees locally along the side of the new motorway.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #22542 on: 09 June, 2019, 06:52:44 pm »
Yesterday a dash across the Somerset Levels and some not levels with the wind at our backs, mostly. Bumped into some gnarly audaxers at Sweet's and collected some veloviewer squares for IanN otp. The latter involved a little COR, which provided a good rattle-test for my new mudguard and lights set up (it passed). A small amount of descent on a smooth, curvy and busy A38 provided the annual opportunity to use my 108" gear, and then inspired us to some silly 'through and off' (can you call it that when there are only two of you?) at 30km/h. Fun but silly.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22543 on: 09 June, 2019, 10:16:58 pm »
Dragged some club mates round a 3-ferries loopy tour of Bute and Argyle. Cracking day out. ~140km

« Reply #22544 on: 09 June, 2019, 11:51:05 pm »
I got my horizon ready for a ride this morning. Then felt wiped out after lunch, so the planned ride didn't happen - but felt good enough later to go for a little spin. 15km, but that bike feels so light after my ex-mtb that i've ridden most of the year so far. It'll take a bit of getting used to :)

« Reply #22545 on: 10 June, 2019, 10:59:21 am »
Shropshire Highlands Challenge yesterday

Some brutal climbs after passing through Knighton  :sick:

But atleast we got round without getting wet, which was a bonus  ;D

« Reply #22546 on: 11 June, 2019, 07:02:16 am »
Fairly wet commute into work for the early shift today - 11.06.19  ;D

and another soaking on the commute home  ::-)

Yet another very wet commute into work this morning - 12.06.19  :(

I can see a pattern developing here  :facepalm:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22547 on: 15 June, 2019, 07:23:44 pm »
Trying to get my 'bent legs back and the rebuilt cruzbike dialled in, and setting up a course to use on an online time trial challenge - might inspire a bit of fitness,

Total of about 40km, 2nd resurrection ride of the cruzbike and my legs were definitely feeling it, not helped by the strong south-westerly
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22548 on: 17 June, 2019, 10:50:59 pm »
A perfect evening in Northumberland: I had an appointment in Shilbottle, and had a loop out afters out the back of Alnwick. It's surprisingly hilly.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22549 on: 21 June, 2019, 01:27:04 pm »
I've been out: three whole kilometres then turned back because my legs felt like lead - quads felt as if they'd been pulled beyond their elastic limit which, considering that my last outing was only 45k on Monday, they hadn't.  I am pointing the leg-bone of a chicken in the general direction of my cardiologist and his arsenal of poisons.