Author Topic: Science that makes you cringe  (Read 49013 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Science that makes you cringe
« Reply #200 on: 13 October, 2021, 03:36:28 pm »
Listening to Hancock's "The Radio Ham" on BBC Sounds today, The Lad Himself says he's broadcasting on the short wave band at 10.4m at 250 mega cycles per second.

Speed of propagation is wavelength x frequency, so 10.4 x 250 x (10^6) m/s = . Or 2.6 x (10^9) m/s. Say 8.7 x the speed of light.

By great good fortune my Scouts are taking part in the Jamboree on the Air this weekend. As well as finding out what the weather is doing in Tokyo, I'll see if they can work out Galton and Simpson's error.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #201 on: 13 October, 2021, 04:35:25 pm »
Listening to Hancock's "The Radio Ham" on BBC Sounds today, The Lad Himself says he's broadcasting on the short wave band at 10.4m at 250 mega cycles per second.

Speed of propagation is wavelength x frequency, so 10.4 x 250 x (10^6) m/s = . Or 2.6 x (10^9) m/s. Say 8.7 x the speed of light.

By great good fortune my Scouts are taking part in the Jamboree on the Air this weekend. As well as finding out what the weather is doing in Tokyo, I'll see if they can work out Galton and Simpson's error.

I'm running a station here in the Cotswolds, GB0GS it's a short contact but do listen out for us.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #202 on: 13 October, 2021, 05:44:18 pm »

I'm running a station here in the Cotswolds, GB0GS it's a short contact but do listen out for us.

We will be joining in with my troop Saturday afternoon and through to Sunday morning. I think we may have a radio ham for some of Saturday afternoon but I am not sure. Edit to add. Yes we do call sign G2ML. Jid 5GB26C

« Reply #203 on: 13 October, 2021, 08:06:32 pm »
I read that and thought what an ironic name (though I know it's Arabic and just coincidentally looks like English, doesn't even sound the same). Anywayz, what's cringeworthy about "deteriorating by the month"? After all, as someone's sig line says, "rust never sleeps".
[Puts hand up.]   Me sir !! 
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #204 on: 13 October, 2021, 09:35:15 pm »
I read that and thought what an ironic name (though I know it's Arabic and just coincidentally looks like English, doesn't even sound the same). Anywayz, what's cringeworthy about "deteriorating by the month"? After all, as someone's sig line says, "rust never sleeps".
[Puts hand up.]   Me sir !!
:thumbsup:
rubigo numquam dormit nec stertit
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #205 on: 10 November, 2021, 09:54:33 am »
This is old but it came up in a search related to something else I’m working on and it’s too good not to share…

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/noel-edmonds-says-death-doesn-t-exist-and-electrosmog-more-deadly-ebola-or-aids-10439536.html

Frankly, I would believe anything said by a man with such luxuriant hair.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #206 on: 10 November, 2021, 12:52:26 pm »
This is old but it came up in a search related to something else I’m working on and it’s too good not to share…

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/noel-edmonds-says-death-doesn-t-exist-and-electrosmog-more-deadly-ebola-or-aids-10439536.html

Umm... That story is from August 2015...... - not that age makes it any less batshit crazy.

citoyen

« Reply #207 on: 10 November, 2021, 02:36:34 pm »

Umm... That story is from August 2015...... - not that age makes it any less batshit crazy.

Yes, that's why I started my post with 'This is old...'

To be fair, Noel seems to have given up the mumbo-jumbo these days - he now lives permanently in New Zealand, where he runs a free online radio station. (Which is not to say that he no longer believes all that guff, but that he's concentrating his efforts on doing what he's good at.)

« Reply #208 on: 10 November, 2021, 02:44:13 pm »
Ah!
I neglected to spot your first three words...

citoyen

« Reply #209 on: 10 November, 2021, 02:45:27 pm »
Ah!
Failed to spot your first three words...

No doubt you were distracted by the sheer luxuriousness of Noel's bouffant mane.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #210 on: 10 November, 2021, 06:25:43 pm »
Ah!
Failed to spot your first three words...

No doubt you were distracted by the sheer luxuriousness of Noel's bouffant mane.

Probably been to that guy who's been chatting up Wowbagger on FriendFace.

citoyen

« Reply #211 on: 12 April, 2022, 03:54:26 pm »
Just working on an interview feature with a self-styled "vegan and cruelty-free make-up artist". She was doing fine until this bit...

Stress and anxiety can have a detrimental effect on our skin. I think we can all attest to that over the last two years. Look at Dr Masaru Emoto’s work on the study of how emotions affect the molecular formation of water, and we’re 60% water. Being a happy human keeps us feeling and looking healthy.

You what?

I looked up "Dr" Masaru Emoto. For a start, he's not a doctor, he's a Japanese businessman. Good start.

Apparently, he's responsible for a work entitled The Hidden Messages In Water. Quoth Wikipedia: "His conjecture evolved over the years, and his early work revolved around pseudo-scientific hypotheses that water could react to positive thoughts and words and that polluted water could be cleaned through prayer and positive visualization."

:facepalm:

I'm being made redundant in a few weeks, which is obviously a bit of a shitter, but I really won't be sorry to see the back of crap like this.

citoyen

« Reply #212 on: 12 April, 2022, 04:01:42 pm »
It gets better...

Good quality shilajit, CBD and lion’s mane are my desert island supplements. Shilajit is a plant resin and one of the most potent antioxidants there is, so it can help protects cells from damage. I studied CBD and became a certified expert, so I’m a big advocate. It can help with sleep issues, depression and anxiety. It’s also neuro protective, anti-bacterial, anti-convulsant, anti-nausea and great for skin health. I take lion’s mane mushroom supplement for focus, clarity and brain health.

Shilajit is basically decomposed plants. Popular in ayurvedic medicine. Nuff said. The best science to support its use says that it's safe - in much the same way that homeopathic remedies are safe, I guess. "More clinical trials are needed."

As for the guff about CBD, we literally can't print that for legal reasons. Certified expert indeed. FFS.

« Reply #213 on: 12 April, 2022, 04:31:06 pm »
That's some prime natural fertiliser... ;D

No chance of you slipping "transperambulation of psuedo-cosmic anti-matter" (a Robert Rankin running gag) into the piece somehow? :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #214 on: 12 April, 2022, 04:50:34 pm »
Would someone who believes that " emotions affect the molecular formation of water" really not think "transperambulation of psuedo-cosmic anti-matter" was serious?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #215 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:03:19 pm »
Apparently, he's responsible for a work entitled The Hidden Messages In Water. Quoth Wikipedia: "His conjecture evolved over the years, and his early work revolved around pseudo-scientific hypotheses that water could react to positive thoughts and words and that polluted water could be cleaned through prayer and positive visualization."

That sounds suspiciously like the psychomagnotheric slime from Ghostbusters 2.  They made a toaster dance with that stuff!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #216 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:21:10 pm »

I'm being made redundant in a few weeks
Arse. Sorry to hear this.

citoyen

« Reply #217 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:39:07 pm »

I'm being made redundant in a few weeks
Arse. Sorry to hear this.

Me too! But thanks. It's been on the cards for a while, but I thought the job might last until the end of the current production cycle (which would have been September). Anyway, it's something I've become accustomed to (third time inside 10 years) so I'm becoming accustomed to it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #218 on: 12 April, 2022, 05:54:43 pm »
Bugger. Hope you find something else soon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #219 on: 12 April, 2022, 06:35:02 pm »
Someone phone the Woo Police!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #220 on: 12 April, 2022, 08:23:32 pm »
I'm being made redundant in a few weeks, which is obviously a bit of a shitter, but I really won't be sorry to see the back of crap like this.

Bugger. Sorry to hear this.  Anything in the pipeline ?
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #221 on: 12 April, 2022, 08:41:36 pm »
Come, be welcomed into the clammy hug of scholarly publishing. We will let you keep your soul. Admittedly as a sort of mistreated pet.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #222 on: 21 May, 2022, 11:58:32 am »
More Hancock.

When The Lad Himself goes to donate blood, he gets told he's AB negative. Good. Then shortly afterwards he's told he's Rhesus positive. No! Galton and Simpson, what were you thinking!

rr

« Reply #223 on: 23 May, 2022, 05:05:21 pm »
In e2v job advert.
freezing the atom down to 0° Kelvin.
The laws of thermodynamics and the unit police would like a word.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #224 on: 23 May, 2022, 09:29:48 pm »
That made my head hurt.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace