Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3815734 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #1325 on: 24 August, 2008, 09:42:51 pm »
A repeat of Thursday's ride but without the tour of Wythenshawe.
Bought some venison at Tatton Park for dinner but, instead, had duck and chilli sausages at Bar. The plan was to have a drink and then go back to BBQ. However, after two drinks, the temptation of the menu was too great.
About 32 miles in total and the weather was great all day.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1326 on: 25 August, 2008, 09:49:26 am »
Not today but yesterday. Southport and back on the flattest roads imaginable. A bit of a headwind from Preston meant twenty odd miles of slogging and twenty odd miles of wizzing back again before turning south west for home. Not the prettiest of rides in places and lots of weaving about on cycle paths (one visit) but once out on the moss and looking over the Ribble estuary back to Lytham and St. Annes it is really pretty. We were fascinated by the massive salad growing enterprises out on the fertile plains, now we know where the  big supermarkets get all those lettuces from.

Some of the road names made me smile, Taylor's Meanygate and Ralph's Wife's Lane being two in particualar that caught my eye.

Couldn't quite make it 100k without adding a pointless loop and we couldn't be arsed so settled for a pint in the local instead. Buttcombe Gold, mmmmmmmmmmm.

« Reply #1327 on: 25 August, 2008, 05:07:17 pm »
No, but I did this yesterday:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Lap-the-Lough-2008

I'll add a few pics later in the relevant thread in Audax & Cyclosportive.

« Reply #1328 on: 25 August, 2008, 05:22:11 pm »
Shame on me, my last ride was yesterday also.

I pottered around the Wild Wales Challenge - plenty of contour lines crossed, and time spent out of the saddle. Most of the day spent in the clouds.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1329 on: 25 August, 2008, 05:36:34 pm »
Shame on me, my last ride was yesterday also.

I pottered around the Wild Wales Challenge - plenty of contour lines crossed, and time spent out of the saddle. Most of the day spent in the clouds.
Pottered!  :o

« Reply #1330 on: 25 August, 2008, 05:52:31 pm »
50 miles in the New Forest  3 hours 50 mins well pleased

« Reply #1331 on: 25 August, 2008, 06:22:11 pm »
I pottered around the Wild Wales Challenge

;D

Well done! I'd like to give this one a go next year.

border-rider

« Reply #1332 on: 25 August, 2008, 06:44:43 pm »
Not on the bike today, but a nice 20 k run:

a tad hilly :) but just spectacular.  I've run in some magical places. and this one rates with the best.  Right along the ridge above the Gospel Pass, with one foot in England and the other in Wales.

And then down to Hay for lunch in the Granary with Mrs MV :)

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #1333 on: 25 August, 2008, 06:59:06 pm »
I rode up Chapel le dale and then up Widdale before turning down towards Dent it was here I realised just how wind assisted by ride had been as it suddenley became an effort.Anyway onwards I went taking the Deepdale turn when it started to rain gently at first and then very hard and as I gained height very horizontal.I was soaked to the skin the climb up to Kingdale is 25% in parts and against a howling wind well nigh impossible .I did 95% and had to walk the rest :-[ The rest of the ride was both wet and windy but much less hilly. I did atone point take my glasses offas vivibility was poor however I soon put tem back on as the rain was hurting my eyeballs35 hard miles:)                                                                             

The view from the top of Deepdale looking towards Dentdale on a much nicer day.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1334 on: 25 August, 2008, 07:53:20 pm »
The standard pootle. 16.59 miles in 1h 28m 29s. The wind seemed to be unfavourable all the way round and my average speed dropped from about 12 on the way out to 11.2 by the time I got home.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #1335 on: 25 August, 2008, 08:31:41 pm »
Down to Barnstaple and back via a caff, finishing with a 2k run (it's a triathlon thing).  Triple negative split, the first 33 miles at an easy pace, dropped the slower rider at the station, caned it back 33 miles somewhat, then sacrificed my ass to Baal to make that run.  Puff puff.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #1336 on: 25 August, 2008, 08:43:25 pm »
Yes, for 50 miles or so with Rollo down into the flatlands of the Severn estuary.  Stopped on the way to fill our panniers with apples 

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1337 on: 26 August, 2008, 10:03:55 am »
On Saturday I cycled from Sarth east London (Hither Green) up to Stratford, met up with a couple of friends and we then pootled up the Lea Valley to Ware (lovely girly time - its great cycling with men but I sometimes feel as if the pace is being forced). The two friends were camping in Hertford so I headed back home - close to 70 miles. :)

groucho

• Humph!!
« Reply #1338 on: 26 August, 2008, 01:53:11 pm »
Two rides in two days on different bikes both cut short by mechanicals  :-\

A loose saddle (no 6mm allen key with me) and secondly a loose crank (no tools at all)

Not the best preparation for Cambrian Cyclosportive!

Faith, hope and gluttony.........

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1339 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:24:44 am »
Last night we went to ride the preview of the Blackpool illuminations with Alan and Marj and another friend. It was fantastic. The weather was a bit damp and drizzly but that didn't stop thousands of cyclists from enjoying five miles of closed main road through the lights. A really happy atmosphere with lots of children and family groups and quite a few bikes festooned with christmas lights. Alan, myself and another friend then had a blast back to Lytham down the prom whilst the ladies took the cars back. All in all a really great evening's entertainment. Can't wait for next year and maybe slightly kinder weather.

« Reply #1340 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:26:56 am »
Last night we went to ride the preview of the Blackpool illuminations with Alan and Marj and another friend. It was fantastic. The weather was a bit damp and drizzly but that didn't stop thousands of cyclists from enjoying five miles of closed main road through the lights. A really happy atmosphere with lots of children and family groups and quite a few bikes festooned with christmas lights. Alan, myself and another friend then had a blast back to Lytham down the prom whilst the ladies took the cars back. All in all a really great evening's entertainment. Can't wait for next year and maybe slightly kinder weather.
I like Blackpool, I like the lights, I wish I'd know about this sooner, I had the time this week and had I got my act together I could have come over for it, it's only 135km from here.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1341 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:44:16 am »
That is a shame Martin, I did post earlier yesterday about it but maybe a bit more notice would have been helpful. A date for your diary next year maybe?

« Reply #1342 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:52:55 am »
I saw your post yesterday afternoon by which time it would be too late to ride over, I suppose I could have got a train but would also have had to sort out accommodation or ride home alone in the dark across the hills which I didn't fancy. Ne'er mind. Remind us next year and perhaps we can sort something out.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #1343 on: 27 August, 2008, 10:58:21 am »
Consider it a date, we can always find a bed or at least floor space for another YACFr, the more the merrier.

LEE

« Reply #1344 on: 27 August, 2008, 01:28:36 pm »
Yes, my 14.4 mile lunchtime loop.

I used the Orbit Road bike I just bought from Rogerzilla and obliterated my personal best time by minutes (tough to do over only 14 miles).  Very pleased indeed (although I realise it's the bike and not me).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1345 on: 27 August, 2008, 02:39:34 pm »

I used the Orbit Road bike I just bought from Rogerzilla and obliterated my personal best time by minutes (tough to do over only 14 miles).  Very pleased indeed (although I realise it's the bike and not me).

On the other hand, your normal time on your normal bike could be the bike and not you!

I believe that you are blessed, as I am, with a Thorn Raven Sports Tour? My normal 16½ mile pootle takes me about 1h 20m on that, although the last attempt was 1h 28m (almost entirely unhelpful wind). I've done it in 58m on the Mercian. I was bloody knackered though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1346 on: 27 August, 2008, 03:12:27 pm »
Went out yesterday, 20 miles through the Hampshire countryside.

Unfortunately the nut holding my crank on worked loose and despite retightening every couple of miles made a final bid for freedom a couple of miles from home. So last few miles with one leg, 'spare' crank in my jersey pocket :-\

LEE

« Reply #1347 on: 27 August, 2008, 03:32:33 pm »

On the other hand, your normal time on your normal bike could be the bike and not you!

I believe that you are blessed, as I am, with a Thorn Raven Sports Tour? My normal 16½ mile pootle takes me about 1h 20m on that, although the last attempt was 1h 28m (almost entirely unhelpful wind). I've done it in 58m on the Mercian. I was bloody knackered though.

It's a Raven Tour rather than the sport but yes, I suppose it's all relative to the bike you are riding. Originally (on my Mercian-a-like tourer) I posted 1h 2m (in 2004).  Over the years I managed to get it down to 51 mins last year and can consistently do it in 52m now (but 50m was painfully elusive).

I just went round in 48m on the Orbit and I'm far from 'match fit'.  I think 45m is possible if i get back down to a decent weight.  It's relentlessly lumpy around here so body weight plays a big part, there is a lot of time up for grabs on those little lumps.

If nothing else it shows that you can improve your fitness in a few years if you stick at it.

14 minutes over 14 miles/1hour is a significant improvement.  Certainly it's hard to imagine that I could give the 2004 me a 14 minute head-start.

alan

« Reply #1348 on: 27 August, 2008, 04:44:49 pm »
Consider it a date, we can always find a bed or at least floor space for another YACFr, the more the merrier.

Allow me to recommend Chez TKP B&B.Marj & I were treated to tea in bed this morning.Most excellent :thumbsup:
Many thanks to Toekneep & GillP for their hospitality.

« Reply #1349 on: 27 August, 2008, 07:03:03 pm »

That would be really nice, thank you so much, just the kind of thing I need to hear right now. I usually ride to Blackpool and back at least once a year.