Author Topic: Christmas pud sales nosedive  (Read 4632 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Christmas pud sales nosedive
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2020, 04:56:54 pm »
Sainsbury's stopped selling syrup sponge in tins a few years ago.

The alternatives they sell are MUCH more pricy (which is why I molish my own).

ian

« Reply #26 on: 08 January, 2020, 08:40:21 pm »
I think all supermarkets have wised up to the fact that people will pay three times as much for exactly the same product in 'fresh' packaging from a fridge.

This will be our downfall. None of this stuff is going to keep once civilization falls.

ETA: it also means we end up with screeds of difficult or non-recyclable packaging and the curse of sell-by and use-by dates that mean a lot of decent food ends up in the bin.

« Reply #27 on: 08 January, 2020, 09:18:57 pm »
My Mum made a steamed ginger pudding; the usual sponge mix flavoured with ground  ginger. She served it with golden syrup, heated to make it runny. No custard, thobut.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 09 January, 2020, 12:29:40 am »
Christmas Pudding is like coffee: I have a fondness for the smell, but wouldn't want to eat it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 09 January, 2020, 12:48:17 am »
Christmas Pudding is like coffee: I have a fondness for the smell, but wouldn't want to eat it.

Eating coffee is just weird.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:44:46 am »
Chocolate-covered coffee beans are quite, er, interesting.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #31 on: 09 January, 2020, 08:52:03 am »

Eating coffee is just weird.
Even in cake with a walnut on top?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:17:17 am »
We demolished our pud last night (the brandy sauce had started to bleat about its use-by date and we hate wasting food).

Preceded by cheese and crackers, another post-Cringle casualty. We overstocked on cheese. Ordinarily not a bad thing because I live for cheese, but I reckon I could do with a break. Surely it's Nocheesanuary somewhere.

Actually that sounds awful. I could be, perhaps, a day without cheese. A month. The horror, the horror.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:21:47 am »
We demolished our pud last night (the brandy sauce had started to bleat about its use-by date and we hate wasting food).

Preceded by cheese and crackers, another post-Cringle casualty. We overstocked on cheese. Ordinarily not a bad thing because I live for cheese, but I reckon I could do with a break. Surely it's Nocheesanuary somewhere.

Actually that sounds awful. I could be, perhaps, a day without cheese. A month. The horror, the horror.

Professor Larrington spotted a meme at New Year, the caption of which being:

"STEP AWAY FROM THE CHEESE, FATSO!"
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2020, 12:28:45 pm »

Yep, us too on the odd occasion, the microwave method is pretty good, but required quick and total consumption lest they collapse.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2020, 12:32:35 pm »
I think with tins, it was rumoured that if you boiled them without making a hole in the tin, they'd blow up and take out a city block.

That said, at the time of my childhood, in our crappy house a loud sneeze could have been calamitous.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2020, 01:45:01 pm »
I do like a good CP, but I'm the only one in the family who likes it. Actually, that's not quite true: Mrs W also does but she's gluten intolerant and allergic to (tree) nuts. We could make our own sans those ingredients but I'd rather eat more cheese, TBH.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2020, 03:24:09 pm »

They seem to do a syrup sponge in plastic packaging for 70p (on phone and can't work out how to link directly, but it's SKU no 7566949), but if it's not stocked in the store which delivers to you I don't think it'll appear to you while you're logged in.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #38 on: 09 January, 2020, 03:31:08 pm »

They seem to do a syrup sponge in plastic packaging for 70p (on phone and can't work out how to link directly, but it's SKU no 7566949), but if it's not stocked in the store which delivers to you I don't think it'll appear to you while you're logged in.

I think you can also get them at Aldi. I'm going later, I'll have a look  8).
Pen Pusher

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #39 on: 09 January, 2020, 03:41:00 pm »

I see the 70p ones but 1 egg, 50g sugar, 50g flour, 50g oil and syrup add up to <70p and would serve >2, not one.

he tins were 55p and served 2.

Not on my diet anyway, but thanks!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #40 on: 09 January, 2020, 09:52:15 pm »
I'm not a fan of sponge puddings. A good suet pudding with syrup, however...

I think I will make one of those over the weekend. It was always my favourite and my mum used to make them. Very easy to do! Just use multiples of the dumpling recipe on the back of the suet pack, but don't add any herbs. I always use veg suet these days. I made one once for Charlotte & Julian. Charlotte was very suspicious initially but came back for seconds.

I'll be immodest enough to suggest that I make a better suet pud than my mum did. She immersed the pudding within its cloth in the boiling water. I perch mine above on a trivet so it's properly steamed. The difference is that the surface of the steamed pudding has a less slimy texture. I think the inside is slightly lighter as well.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #41 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:28:16 pm »
I think with tins, it was rumoured that if you boiled them without making a hole in the tin, they'd blow up and take out a city block.
I'm a Scout leader. One of our Patrols once chucked a can of peaches on their fire, because they didn't want it. I checked with the PL that he had opened it first, and he said, "Of course".

A few minutes later there was a massive bang. Their entire fire was blown out of the altar, and bits of burning wood descended around the site. We were finding small, blackened holes in tents for days afterwards.

Clearly his definition of open was different from mine. It transpires that various Scout leaders have stories like this.

Burning tins to get rid of small remnants of food is good practice, but it's usual to take off the lid and empty them first...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:30:34 pm »
Yes, never underestimate a steam explosion.

ian

« Reply #43 on: 09 January, 2020, 10:47:19 pm »
I'm an empiricist so chucking stuff on a fire and running away is part of the MO.

If it's a can of black spray paint, run fast, that's all I can say, unless you really want to attend the same parties as a young Justin Trudeau.

« Reply #44 on: 09 January, 2020, 11:20:54 pm »
don't think we have had a traditional xmas pud for years, but we bought one this year on the strength of the wonderful 'Edgar the Dragon'   (not that I am ever influenced by ads)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #45 on: 10 January, 2020, 01:42:51 pm »
One of Scaryduck's "Tales of Mirth and Woe" concerned the effects of adding much of the contents of mate's Dad's garage to Very Large November 5th Bonfire.  'splodey Mirth and Woe in equal measure.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 10 January, 2020, 01:51:53 pm »
C'mon then admit it. Who does not like Christmas pudding? Sales are down 16% year on year.

Disgusting filth. The drop is not down to me, I never eat them.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #47 on: 11 January, 2020, 03:30:51 pm »
C'mon then admit it. Who does not like Christmas pudding? Sales are down 16% year on year.

I like Christmas Pudding!

Alas it's one of the many, many things I'm no longer allowed :-(  :'( :'( :'( :'(

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #48 on: 11 January, 2020, 03:36:47 pm »
Our bike to the pub club xmas dinner - with 16 people had the option of xmas pudding.  Noone selected it.  I had cheesecake.

For my own xmas dinner I made baked cheesecake