Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252177 times)

simonp

Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #675 on: 09 August, 2009, 12:12:04 am »
I've been cycling every day since Monday.

69kg now - putting some of the weight loss from midweek back on.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #676 on: 12 August, 2009, 10:46:46 am »
Oh bugger!  Back over 100kg for the first time in months.  OK, so I haven't been eating very carefully, but I've not been overdoing it massively.  And I've been riding every day, including the weekend.

Arse. :(
Getting there...

Chris S

« Reply #677 on: 12 August, 2009, 11:21:20 am »
Hmm... still winning prizes for maintenance - that's essentially the same weight since 11th Feb!

This is not the point of the exercise - maintenance should come after loss...  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #678 on: 12 August, 2009, 11:25:19 am »
69kg

« Reply #679 on: 12 August, 2009, 01:58:50 pm »
Four years ago my doctor told me that I was six stone over weight and that I had borderline high blood pressure. I chewed this over or six months and realised that I needed to change my lifestyle. I recalled my youth when I was a fit wirely character mainly due to the amount of cycling I did. So I decided to take up cycling.
I started one spring weighing 115kg and by the end of the summer I had taken off 12kg. Unfortunately over time I put all that weight back on regardless of how much cycling I was doing. So December 2008 I decided to join  the local gym to supplement my excercise particularly the upper body which was not getting so much excercise from cycling.
As part of the joining arrangement I was entitled to a free health check which I took advantage of. The outcome was that the gym could not allow me to work out there without a letter from my doctor as I had high blood pressure of 115 over 110.
My doctor sent me to he hospital for blood tests and everything was OK in that respect as was the ECG I had back at the surgery. He wrote a letter to the gym advising them I could do excercise progressively.
I now started at the gym and a personal trainer contacted me from there and offered a free session which I took advantage of and considering my weight and high blood pressure realised I needed help so I took him on.
From December my high blood pressue went in four weeks and by May I had lost 23 kg. There was no secret to my success but there were a lot of things I dd not realise.
The reason I put the weight back on was because my body had adapted to the shock of cycling. Therefore my excercises in the gym are changed every three weeks to reintroduce shock. I was an irregular eater and now eat every three hours to keep my metabolism higher. I changed my diet mainly to steamed fish/chicken and vegetables. I have cut down on wine binging at the weekend.
The excercises I am doing now are of a maintnance style as it does not conflict with the cycle events I am taking part in at the moment. Come the Autumn we will resume the endurance and conditioning excercises and hopefully lose some more wieight.
I have been told and I am not sure whether this is purely motivational that what I can achieve in the gym most twenty year olds cant do and I am fifty one. This is mainly due to cycling as it has increased my lung capacity, endurance and recovery rate. We do not do any CV work as there is nothing in the gym that can match what I do by cycling.
Seven months after I started my campaign I completed my first SR.
I would finally like to say I cannot recommend this to anyone but it works for me and it is not too late to start.
O'LEL what have I done!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #680 on: 19 August, 2009, 10:10:11 am »
Gah!  I've stopped the rise, but I'm still over that cursed 100kg point.  I've only been riding once (and then briefly) since friday, but we've a week of touring coming up, so I hope that'll be better.
Getting there...

« Reply #681 on: 19 August, 2009, 01:05:03 pm »
Hmmm, only a nett loss of 1kg in the last 3 weeks, a bit of a plateau. Still I'll keep at it. And make more effort to reduce alcohol to 2 bottles a week.  Still going to enjoy the odd bit of gorganzola or provolone picante though.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #682 on: 26 August, 2009, 11:08:47 am »
A bit better, andother 1kg in the last week, now 96kg... and falling. Slow and steady is the way I guess.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #683 on: 02 September, 2009, 09:23:58 am »
I was dreading weigh in day, after choffing chocolate, cake & too many cafe breakfasts last week, added to not being near the scales last wednesday.

But I've lost 2.4kg in the last fortnight - I'm back down to my lightest this year - or this decade (maybe last, too :-[ ).  I need to keep going (and keep riding).
Getting there...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #684 on: 02 September, 2009, 11:31:03 am »
Not weighed myself for a while, as I was concentrating too much on the weight and not enough on the fitness.

I got on the Wii Fit a couple of weeks ago, and it made a serious face and asked me if I was losing weight too quickly.

I really should weigh myself again, I certainly feel better now, and I need to buy a new belt as this one is too large.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #685 on: 09 September, 2009, 10:38:32 am »
Wahey!  I've lost some more :o

I suspect I may actually be a shade lighter than what I posted, but I couldn't remember the exact figure, so I erred on the side of caution.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #686 on: 23 September, 2009, 09:15:17 am »
Four weeks of progress is good :)

Depressed though I was to see photos of myself at the camping weekend looking as big as ever, I think a lot of it's just loose flab now.  It'll take a while to go.

But I am down to 96.2kg now - probably lost a kilo this week, which is encouraging.  Just got to keep being sensible and riding.

1.2kg to go to target - it's getting within sight. :thumbsup:
Getting there...

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #687 on: 23 September, 2009, 09:24:48 am »
 :thumbsup:
You are nearly a stone lighter than me then.
I keep meaning to try and get under 100kg myself, not got there yet.
Must try harder  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #688 on: 23 September, 2009, 09:40:34 am »
Note for those surprised by the preceding bit of information: Rich is taller than me. ;D

But keep at it, mate :)
Getting there...

« Reply #689 on: 23 September, 2009, 01:08:43 pm »
Only 1kg off in the last month  :-\ and I've not been pigging out nor being slothful  :(  Hey ho, must try even harder. Turbo time soon, so plenty of level 1 and 2 sessions.

« Reply #690 on: 24 September, 2009, 08:56:58 am »
Back to 65.2 :). The 'substituting chocolate with cake' diet seems to be working :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #691 on: 24 September, 2009, 09:12:03 am »
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D :-*

More successful than my erstwhile supplementing chocolate with cake diet, then? ;)
Getting there...

« Reply #692 on: 01 October, 2009, 11:56:10 am »
Cutting back slightly on food intake. Proper hunger pains for over an hour so far. 5 minutes until I attack the chicken tikka bagutte that's been on my desk for what seems like an eternity...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #693 on: 01 October, 2009, 12:03:11 pm »
Good luck with that.  I'm getting stuck into some major pieces of work, which always makes me want to eat as I think.  :-[

This week, my weight has gone back up a bit :(  But only a bit, and I think I can get back on top of it :)
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #694 on: 01 October, 2009, 01:29:32 pm »
Currently I am on 82.7kg

I'm not sure how as I have spent the last week eating biscuits and drinking beer

Anyway, it's the Dartmoor Devil at the end of the month so I aim to loose as much weight as possible by then.  I guess the aim is 80 point something kg

It's on the 25th of October and the reason for loosing a little weight is  the 2500m of climbing

Oct 25 - Bovey Tracey 106 - (AAA 2.5)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #695 on: 02 October, 2009, 07:58:17 pm »
Depressed though I was to see photos of myself at the camping weekend looking as big as ever, I think a lot of it's just loose flab now.  It'll take a while to go.

After 3 weeks of near daily cycling on holiday in France and feeling great, I too was horrified at what I looked like in a pair of swimming trunks when i saw the  holiday snaps. My apologies to other bathers...

2 months after starting the holiday, I have lost a stone, and my wife has lost 5 lbs. I'm now an indoor rowing lightweight (some might say in many senses...) at 75kg.  :thumbsup: Muscles are appearing from under wraps...

Previously, if we ate before 6:30 I was usually hungry before bedtime, and partial to a glass of milk and a couple of digestive biscuits. I reckon that's at least 300kcal. We don't buy biscuits for us anymore (children have some in containers in their rooms; if they eat them all in a day, they won't get any more for a couple of weeks, and they seem to manage them well. They exercise a lot, rugby & BMX, and look well so no worries there).

We decided to eat no more after an evening meal, and drink non-caffeinated teas (redbush, peppermint, camomile, etc.) to fill up on, going to bed feeling slightly peckish and waking up ravenous. Lunch is frequently Waitrose Essentials fruit muesli; recommended, packed with fruit and very filling. This even works to easily fuel 20mile-each-way commuting some days. Also helping is the fact that I find cycling an amazing laxative... :hand:  ;D

So, just cutting out our unnecessary eating (plus 6 hours cycle commuting a week for me) has made a huge difference. I'm aiming  for under 72kg; we'll see.

« Reply #696 on: 07 October, 2009, 02:23:20 pm »
63.4 today. That's the lightest this year and 2kgs down from last week. It may be an aberation so I'm going to try to be careful for a couple of weeks to see if I can keep it down.  :)

« Reply #697 on: 07 October, 2009, 02:28:11 pm »
And hurrah for Clarion also being the lightest this year. I think my being too tired to cook for a couple of weeks is paying off ;D.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #698 on: 07 October, 2009, 02:31:24 pm »
Maybe, though that normally means an increase in chocolate & cake consumption. ;)

I think you're doing really well :-*
Getting there...

« Reply #699 on: 14 October, 2009, 02:34:22 pm »
Packed lunch instead of a baguette/sandwich from the canteen. Not much faff at all (with a backup of a local Sainsbury's if I forget to bring in food). Considerably cheaper too (I was spending £10 a day on food and a couple of coffees, that now covers 5 days).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."