Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 952393 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2850 on: 03 January, 2013, 01:10:14 am »
Deep Core.  For those of you who've seen The Core, this is a low-budget ripoff that's fallen through a wormhole and gone straight-to-video several years earlier.  For those of you who haven't seen The Core, this is the second worst movie ever made.

It features crazy dutch angles, mumbly stilted dialogue, wooden acting, nonsensical plot, naff special effects and laughs in the face of the Bechdel Test.  Highly recommended if you're into sociable watching of terrible disaster films or have a desire to watch Wesley Crusher being killed by lava.   :thumbsup:

LindaG

« Reply #2851 on: 03 January, 2013, 01:43:47 am »
Deep Core.  For those of you who've seen The Core, this is a low-budget ripoff that's fallen through a wormhole and gone straight-to-video several years earlier.  For those of you who haven't seen The Core, this is the second worst movie ever made.

It features crazy dutch angles, mumbly stilted dialogue, wooden acting, nonsensical plot, naff special effects and laughs in the face of the Bechdel Test.  Highly recommended if you're into sociable watching of terrible disaster films or have a desire to watch Wesley Crusher being killed by lava.   :thumbsup:

Cor! I must see this film!

« Reply #2852 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:39:38 am »
Worth it for the crushing of Crusher, surely?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2853 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:38:19 am »
roundly trashed with too much CGI and silly chases

Yes, exactly that, especially;

the excessively overdone chase in the Goblin Kingdom.

...which reminded me of the giant insect chase scene from King Kong. Obviously a Peter Jackson thing.

The troll scene was rubbish - nothing like the book.

Best bit of the whole film, I thought. But then I don't have a clear recollection of the book to spoil it for me.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2854 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »
Pa Negre, a story of a family in a small village during the Spanish Civil war.

I may need to watch it again to get the whole story.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2855 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:39:27 pm »
Life of Pi, on New Year's Eve. Fantastic film and very true to the book (from memory), and, my first ever experience of a 3D film, which I'm a convert now! Beautifully filmed.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #2856 on: 03 January, 2013, 01:05:34 pm »

That looks like a good film, has it been released in the UK? Not on LoveFilm, and imdb does not show a release date...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

tiermat

« Reply #2857 on: 03 January, 2013, 01:10:35 pm »

That looks like a good film, has it been released in the UK? Not on LoveFilm, and imdb does not show a release date...

Not sure, but I have a copy, with English subs, on my PC :)

ETA: Here it is on Amazon UK:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Bread-Pan-negro-negre/dp/B004Y4S8U2/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1357218605&sr=1-2
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2858 on: 03 January, 2013, 01:19:44 pm »

To clarify, I wasn't implying that The Core was the worst movie ever made (though it may well feature some of the worst hollywood science).  That title goes, of course, to Battlefield Earth.

LEE

« Reply #2859 on: 03 January, 2013, 03:16:43 pm »

To clarify, I wasn't implying that The Core was the worst movie ever made (though it may well feature some of the worst hollywood science).  That title goes, of course, to Battlefield Earth.

You've clearly never seen "Pterodactyl".

It's worth making the effort to see...just so you can say you've seen it.  Actually, it's sooooo bad that it becomes rather watchable.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2860 on: 03 January, 2013, 03:31:43 pm »
You've clearly never seen "Pterodactyl".

It's worth making the effort to see...just so you can say you've seen it.  Actually, it's sooooo bad that it becomes rather watchable.

Challenge ...accepted!

« Reply #2861 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »
We saw Pa Negre at the Cornerhouse. The opening scenes grabbed our attention!

It was interesting because there were quite a few real spaniards in the audience and they found different bits funny to the non spanish audience and it wasn't necessarily down to the delay in us having to read what they'd just heard.

tiermat

« Reply #2862 on: 03 January, 2013, 05:56:53 pm »
We saw Pa Negre at the Cornerhouse. The opening scenes grabbed our attention!

It was interesting because there were quite a few real spaniards in the audience and they found different bits funny to the non spanish audience and it wasn't necessarily down to the delay in us having to read what they'd just heard.

The opening sequence of scenes are a bit of a shock, aren't they?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2863 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:32:52 pm »
Idiocracy, Mike Judge's comedy about what happens when the stupid people outbreed everyone else.  Highly recommended.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2864 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:30:19 am »
A French comedy ‘Bowling’.  Set in Carhaix, Brittany, and about the fight against the closure of a maternity ward in the local hospital.  Based on real events. The general thrust was about the chippy, quirky, underdog Celts fighting against the unfeeling and humourless French/Parisians.  The DVD was a gift from two Breton girls who have been staying with us and judged well the tastes of their (predominantly) Welsh hosts. 

The filming took place on location between June and September 2011, when many members of this forum would have passed through Carhaix twice.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #2865 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:36:11 am »
A French comedy ‘Bowling’.  Set in Carhaix, Brittany, and about the fight against the closure of a maternity ward in the local hospital.  Based on real events. The general thrust was about the chippy, quirky, underdog Celts fighting against the unfeeling and humourless French/Parisians.  The DVD was a gift from two Breton girls who have been staying with us and judged well the tastes of their (predominantly) Welsh hosts. 

The filming took place on location between June and September 2011, when many members of this forum would have passed through Carhaix twice.

Oh, I must find this one!
Chief cat entertainer.

tiermat

« Reply #2866 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:40:23 am »
Idiocracy, Mike Judge's comedy about what happens when the stupid people outbreed everyone else.  Highly recommended.

I was reminded of that film the other day after watching The Lorax.

« Reply #2867 on: 04 January, 2013, 11:30:17 am »

You did cross my mind as I was writing that.

« Reply #2868 on: 04 January, 2013, 12:39:49 pm »
El baño del Papa

AKA The Pope's Toilet

Uruguayan film about the inhabitants of a small village near the Brazilian border. Featuring bicycles. Most moving film I've seen all year.

tiermat

« Reply #2869 on: 04 January, 2013, 12:41:56 pm »
El baño del Papa

AKA The Pope's Toilet

Uruguayan film about the inhabitants of a small village near the Brazilian border. Featuring bicycles. Most moving film I've seen all year.

I shall have to check that one out.

I am currently converting Biutiful to a format suitable fro my tablet ready to watch tonight.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2870 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:18:13 pm »
The Birds.

Not impressed by the ending, one of those  ??? moments.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

« Reply #2871 on: 04 January, 2013, 10:41:28 pm »
The Bourne Legacy.

Meh, just meh.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #2872 on: 04 January, 2013, 11:44:54 pm »

You did cross my mind as I was writing that.

:)
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #2873 on: 05 January, 2013, 09:52:47 am »
Cockneys vs Zombies

Very silly, but enjoyed it far more than expected.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2874 on: 05 January, 2013, 07:57:51 pm »
Three Colours White.  Continues a strong series.  If number three (Red) keeps up the standard, then this has to qualify for a rare trilogy where every film is worth watching.